Swamp Skimming (Sled on water MB style)

Director

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Grew up mid-late 80's in small MB town that used to host a weekend event called "Swamp Skimming"... Mission was to drag race sleds across a small pond and pulls an oval course doing laps.. Town of 300 people and it was a big event!! There was a barge that had a crane boom on it with a winch, all sleds had a jug and rope tied to them so when they sank (which happened frequently) the barge would winch them out.. I've watched some recent vids with liquid cooled high horse machines - these relics were 440 fans and it was all the sled could do to cross.. HAHA - i can still remember a couple of the riders names - local legends on water..

Think it would be cool to strip down the XM and go out on the long weekend and blast some laps around Chesterslew...

I've done short stints in the ditches and such but never crossed a large body of water... I'd like to try.. What would it take to build such a machine? Long track/short track what's best and why?

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would be concerned with wet electronics. My vote would be for something older and still carbed. Early rev 151 or something.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2 things you need to do for water cross

thing #1 remove snow flap

thing #2 you'll need a roll of duct tape and a trouble light and a dark place to doo the work , place trouble light under the hood and were ever you see light leeking out from hood or belly pan cover it with duct tape the end result you should see no light or water can leak in

now when your on the water DON"T let the machine porpose over speed will cause this and down you go

Director

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2 things you need to do for water cross

thing #1 remove snow flap

thing #2 you'll need a roll of duct tape and a trouble light and a dark place to doo the work , place trouble light under the hood and were ever you see light leeking out from hood or belly pan cover it with duct tape the end result you should see no light or water can leak in

now when your on the water DON"T let the machine porpose over speed will cause this and down you go

Great tips.. Keep the water off the clutch and should be GTG.. Watching a couple of the above movies gives a guy some great pointers on what not to do...

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took my ol 01 Summit down the Red Deer river about 15 miles then back...no hood, no tape, with snowflap....no problems...this was in 02. I've done some short crossings with Revs but the XP's with the ported tracks never worked well.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I took my ol 01 Summit down the Red Deer river about 15 miles then back...no hood, no tape, with snowflap....no problems...this was in 02. I've done some short crossings with Revs but the XP's with the ported tracks never worked well.

Must be why Imdooin ends up upside down

Top Bottom