supercharger vs turbo

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, I am sure this will open a can of worms but here goes.

I am familiar with turbo charged vehicle driving characteristics as I have owned many. I am having a hard time figuring out why turbos are all the rage. Is it weight or simplicity or what? It seems to me a supercharger has characteristics that are much more appropriate for boondocking/treeriding. I also recently heard that some guys have their turbos dialed in so well they are making boost on a track stand. ---Cool.

Now this being said I ride a xp and and looking for the next sled. I cannot get used to the rider forward deal. I have never had anything buts doos and am lost when it comes to cats and poos. I am really leaning towards a supercharged nitro and am trying to decide super or turbo.

Please no hearsay I am interested in hearing from people whom have experience with both.

Junior Highmark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, I am sure this will open a can of worms but here goes.

I am familiar with turbo charged vehicle driving characteristics as I have owned many. I am having a hard time figuring out why turbos are all the rage. Is it weight or simplicity or what? It seems to me a supercharger has characteristics that are much more appropriate for boondocking/treeriding. I also recently heard that some guys have their turbos dialed in so well they are making boost on a track stand. ---Cool.

Now this being said I ride a xp and and looking for the next sled. I cannot get used to the rider forward deal. I have never had anything buts doos and am lost when it comes to cats and poos. I am really leaning towards a supercharged nitro and am trying to decide super or turbo.

Please no hearsay I am interested in hearing from people whom have experience with both.

All the turbo owners will say "Turbo it --- why waste money"..
But How can you not get used to the rider forward?? I love it on my rev.

Mabye downgrade to a rev and trick one out? Or do you want to get out of the rider forward all together?

I think supercharged are for boondocking and ditchbanging to.

Turbo's need to spool up when they are given throttle - But superchargers create boost right off the line.

I believe turbo's give more boost to. Super chargers are 10-15 average I think?

You will need to talk to a (If there is any) Owner of a supercharged nitro. Figure out the pluses and minus's of the sled, then talk to a turbo owner and find the same things. Then compare witch you want more!

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I had a 05 rev 151 in 2008 and jumped on the xp bandwagon. I just get a little teary when I remember cutting up a ditch with that rig then I get on my xp and want to just quit and go home it sucks so bad. Unless there is a foot of fresh, then it destroys everything.

However, I have done a fair amount of research and it seems to be mostly due to suspension setup. (Nothing from the old rev applies.)

Back to the topic at hand, I am still at a loss I realize that a turbo has more on hill adjustability, with blow off valves and such but could a similar riggin be setup for a supercharger?

I just hear so many turbo failures and think to myself who on earth likes to punish themselves that much?
I don't think I have heard of 1, although I am sure there is, failures on superchargers that are installed correctly and run good fuel.

I realize the ultimate power output is always going to be about 10% less on a super vs a turbo, but how many studs really need 300 hp.

SLY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nytro is a rider forward design. Turbo is where it's at for so many reasons. Search some threads, there have been lot's.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nytro is a rider forward design. Turbo is where it's at for so many reasons. Search some threads, there have been lot's.

I ride a turbo nitro.. 16 lbs on pumpgas Super charger needs race gas to work. As far as turbo lag i dont think so. I have a mc stage 2 and its bullet proof. In the trees when boondockin just dont let of the throttle totally then when you get back on it its instant. You cant burp the throttle like a 2 stroke. That too quite a while to get used to. If you find your xp hard to ride then you will also struggle on the nitro. I rode cat all my life and i still after 3000 km wish it was more cat like in the handleing. I can make it go anywhere its just alot more work

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride a turbo nitro.. 16 lbs on pumpgas Super charger needs race gas to work. As far as turbo lag i dont think so. I have a mc stage 2 and its bullet proof. In the trees when boondockin just dont let of the throttle totally then when you get back on it its instant. You cant burp the throttle like a 2 stroke. That too quite a while to get used to. If you find your xp hard to ride then you will also struggle on the nitro. I rode cat all my life and i still after 3000 km wish it was more cat like in the handleing. I can make it go anywhere its just alot more work

Thanks that is the info i was looking for.

Given the option to change back to a cat would you do it?

I am kind of thinking a m1000 might be the next ride.

recguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had both. Supercharged Apex and turboed nytro. Drew562 is right the supercharger needs race fuel unless you shim the head, but then you loose power. The superchargers power is insane immediately, hard to handle sometimes. The Apex is way nicer to ride compared to the Nitro too, preference i guess. Either way you go, you will love it once your used to it. I have an "08" M1 all SLP'd up and much more. Has around 195hp on dyno. It's for sale. Ready to ride.

Enjoy shopping.

SLY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a turbo'd Apex before my Nytro and was tempted to switch back for the first 600km. Not anymore. After you spend some time on the Nytro and adapt to the chassis you get used to the way it responds. It is definitely a different responding chassis and I find it a lot quicker handling than the Apex. I did have to put more time into setting up the chassis than the Apex which I suspect is due to the rider forward design. I have a had stage 1 and stage 2 MCX and the response is excellent, I can get in and out of the throttle with ease. Just as some 2 strokes seem to work better than others, the same goes with turbos and how they are setup. I have ridden supercharged sleds and I much prefer the characteristics of the turbo and find it a lot easier to ride as the power comes on a lot smoother. If I built sleds to drag race I would give supers a harder look, but not for a mountain sled.

Top Bottom