Studded tire debate

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Yeah, i called kaltire they told me i need to have the tire taken off the rim, then studded, and then put back on the tire, then balanced. They quoted me nearly $300 for the stud job.

van isle

Reaction score
Yeah, i called kaltire they told me i need to have the tire taken off the rim, then studded, and then put back on the tire, then balanced. They quoted me nearly $300 for the stud job.

Unless your local Kaltire has a automatic tire studder like this Winter Tyre studding at Nokian, Finland - YouTube . I can't see a reason other then personal preference to need to dismount the tires to stud them with a hand held studder. I find it far easier to stud tires mounted then not.

InFeRnO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That's ridiculous! I work at a tire shop and install studs. You do not have to take the tire off the rim. You just have to make sure you are using the right stud and easy peezy. Tire pressure can be normal cause your never have to dismount the tire. Watch what people say. Everybody is trying to make a dollar. Take it to chriscos shop in stony. Tedious yes, but takes me about 10 mins per tire. Makes a huge difference and thanks to Alberta government for legalizing studs again. Highly recommended.

InFeRnO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just balance them after which takes 15 mins
at a tire shop and you will have no problems.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
My girlfriend drives quite a bit of highway to get to the city from the farm, people tend to say studs burn off after your first trip down a dry highway. Is it even worth studding? Then how loud they grumble?

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend drives quite a bit of highway to get to the city from the farm, people tend to say studs burn off after your first trip down a dry highway. Is it even worth studding? Then how loud they grumble?
No road noise, I run studded grips and no they dont burn off. Driving with studded tires for 7 years, I would not go with out them, stopping and handling is greatly increased..

SIRsleeper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm running general grabber at2's and wouldn't run them without studs after trying em out! Night and day difference on ice, although I would agree a full on snow tire does have better grip. Had studs less Hakks before and there's no comparison with running them on snow, the generals are a tad greasy in loose snow but still much better then a non snowflake rated all terrain.

Sent from my iPhone using

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well it seems with all this rain and the full on ice conditions of the roads, this studded tire debate is a mute point this winter.

How are your studded tires working on this junk.............

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with the TRC findings...mostly. I had studded Cooper M+S on a truck and I found the wet pavement traction NOTICEABLY poor. When a 5.3 GM engages the traction control on a spirited left turn to beat traffic on plain wet pavement, it's bad. (I believe I commented on that in previous tire discussions) However the studded Winterforce I run now, under normal driving, don't exhibit any bad tendencies ever. And the snow and ice traction is unreal. I'm sure if you put the truck on a skid pad and tested g-forces under all conditions the studs would be worse...but I can live with that.

Wifes studded Winterforce are performing better than anything else I have tried.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been lots of talk on this forum about studding winter tires for our trucks. I like research so spent some time looking into studding tires. What I found was quite surprising. I do not have an opinion one way or the other but thought I would share some of what I learned and open the floor to debate.

There was a study done by the TRC that used be on the Tire Rack website. Some of the information from the study still floats around. Things they found:

* Studs are only best when on glare ice. For compacted, frozen, glazed snow studs were less effective than a performance winter tire.
*Studs perform so poorly on wet road conditions that the TRC had an entire section in the report dedicated to cautions regarding studded tire use.
*Winter tires with embedded particulates such as the Blizzaks and Green diamonds, showed little advantage over performance winter tires and were poor on wet roads.
*Highest marks went to winter performance tires such as Hakka's, Micheline Alpines, Blizzaks with micro pores, Firestone Winterforce.

A Japanese study found that studs tore up roads so bad they generated significant particles in the air. Enough to cause public healthe concerns and were therefore banned.

Several other studies showed that stud use was significantly responsible for excessive wear of asphalt resulting in grooved highways. It was correlated to severe hydroplaning accident levels during rainfalls, and millions of dollars in taxpayer money spent on early road repair. Numerous places have banned the use of studs as a result.

Like I said, I do not have an opinion one way or the other. Just interesting information.

when you say " trucks" do you mean half and 3/4 ton trucks or semi's?

Bushwagon

Reaction score
Ive been running studded goodyear wranglers on my lifted dodge 3500 for two years now. Ran the first year with mud and snow TOYO tires. Very difficult to find quality snow tires in large sizes, (35X12.5) I'm really really pleased with these tires.

You get the truck, a sled or two on or perhaps a sled trailer full and pull up over the pass in snow and ice you want confidence. With a 100K in truck and sleds running down the highway if they even make a tiny bit of difference, have to run them.

I also carry chains just in case. The studded tires are absolutely the way to go for me incomparable difference to a mud and snow, or even to stock winter tires with no studs. If its raining that hard, your summer tires should already be on!

Top Bottom