stiffer speeding and dui laws in BC

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Toughest driving laws in canada, and 5 of the top ten most dangerous cities to live in in Canada are in BC. Very poor policing for crime and murders. BC is even world mentioned for a dangerous place to live.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im all for stiff DUI fines but it is going to be very hard to stay under 40KM/hr of the posted speed on the bike (mostly 80 KM/Hr here around the lake). I think this is why there is alot of high speed chases because of the high fines. think they would be better to lower them to a normal level (like the $900 range)but hand out more. but what was the last one $24 000 I think. that would cause some one to run! and run fast!

just my 2 cents

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Even if you only had one or two beers and then did have an accident would you question yourself? Is that a choice you could live with? I know that there are very few that would be over with just one or 2, and still be in full control . If you ever see me on a sled trip and need a ride or a driver just ask. I would sooner walk back to my room than you live with a question in your head that doesnt need to be there.

mel.h

Reaction score
As of sept 20th BC will have the stiffest penalties in canada for people caught excessive speeding or driving while under the influence. Excessive speeding is doiung 40km/h over the posted speed limit, first offence is a 900.00 ticket, vehicle impounded for a week and if insured in BC an extra 320.00/year on your insurance for 3 years. The third offence it's a 8000.00 ticket and vehicle impounded for 60 days and extra 420.00/year for 3 years. The fifth offence it's a 24,000.00 fine.

Driving under the influence, if you blow .005 no more 24hr, it's a automatic 3day driving suspension, if you blow .008 then you lose your license for 60 days automaticlly and still face the dui charges in court.

About time someone toughened things up a mite, thanks for the post Glen.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im all for stiff DUI fines but it is going to be very hard to stay under 40KM/hr of the posted speed on the bike (mostly 80 KM/Hr here around the lake). I think this is why there is alot of high speed chases because of the high fines. think they would be better to lower them to a normal level (like the $900 range)but hand out more. but what was the last one $24 000 I think. that would cause some one to run! and run fast!

just my 2 cents

The fines have been lower in the past and they handed out lots and it hasnt seemed to change much. The thing with a chase is the fact that a person cant go faster than a radio or spike belt. A good freind of mine lived inb the okanagon for several years and he said the cops there dont care if your on a bike or not they will still use a spike belt if needed to stop yah. I dont really agree with the spike belt for bikes as it could cause a hell of a crash but then again if a guy obeys the law or takes his ticket for not obeyin then i guess it aint an issue. I remeber when i lived in AB hearing about a guy gettin busted doin 240km/h on his bike and it ended up costed him 12,000.00 to keep his license.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The main reason for starting this thread was to let out of town people know about new changes to laws in BC so it hopefully doesn't affect there trips here.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only guys that will have a problem with this, are the ones that drink and drive all the time. Like the rest say....STAY HOME....

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've seen too many times the results of drinking and driving and as mentioned earlier,(imo) "The Laws Can't Get Tough Enough". The "driving suspension" part really is a joke. It's amazing how many drivers on the road right now are driving while already under suspension. This area definitely needs a lot tougher penalty as well. What really needs to happen is MUCH tougher penalties for those who cause accidents while under the influence. :rant:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Completely agree, these new laws don't affect me the slightest bit. I think it makes people who would usually think they are probably ok rethink it and MAYBE not drive. 40km over and more is just stupid anyways, whatever it takes to stop someone doing that kind of speed whatever. Run from the cops you take your chances, the only safety risk that should be considered is the cops and the public. Who cares about the guy running, if they are running they got something to hide.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've seen too many times the results of drinking and driving and as mentioned earlier,(imo) "The Laws Can't Get Tough Enough". The "driving suspension" part really is a joke. It's amazing how many drivers on the road right now are driving while already under suspension. This area definitely needs a lot tougher penalty as well. What really needs to happen is MUCH tougher penalties for those who cause accidents while under the influence. :rant:

I disagree, the only difference between getting stopped and getting in an accident is luck, the offence is the same; driving drunk. everyone should be punished as if they'd been in an accident while drunk.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Completely agree, these new laws don't affect me the slightest bit. I think it makes people who would usually think they are probably ok rethink it and MAYBE not drive. 40km over and more is just stupid anyways, whatever it takes to stop someone doing that kind of speed whatever. Run from the cops you take your chances, the only safety risk that should be considered is the cops and the public. Who cares about the guy running, if they are running they got something to hide.

I have to agree. If you are doing 40 over, you need a reality check...and a crappy little fine isn't enough. 1st offense should be a 3 month suspension, 2nd offense, cut the license up on the spot. If you run from the cops, one strategically placed bullet is all that's needed. You watch the police chases on tv, and it usually ends in disaster for some poor housewife taking her 3 kids to soccer. Not to mention any names, but if you're doing 120 around the lake, you should be tied to your bike and sent for a long tour down a short pier.

Phyer Phyter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On the DUI side if I am not mistaken the law is similar here in Alberta. I have no problem with it. I have personally attended far too many fatal mva's caused by drunks, more than I care to remember. I feel no sympathy when they take themselves out but frequently they take someone else out and often not themselves. The ONLY part I don't like about the automatic suspension is you're presumed guilty before conviction, but in the greater good of the interest of the protection of society I feel it is a necessary evil.

As far as I am concerned the laws are not nearly harsh enough or effective. 1st offense should be an automatic jail sentence, if you injure some one automatic min 5 yrs in jail. If you kill someone, good bye 10yrs, min jail time.

But dont get me started...:mad:

Phyer Phyter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have to agree. If you are doing 40 over, you need a reality check...and a crappy little fine isn't enough. 1st offense should be a 3 month suspension, 2nd offense, cut the license up on the spot. If you run from the cops, one strategically placed bullet is all that's needed. You watch the police chases on tv, and it usually ends in disaster for some poor housewife taking her 3 kids to soccer. Not to mention any names, but if you're doing 120 around the lake, you should be tied to your bike and sent for a long tour down a short pier.

In Alberta 50km or more over the posted limit is an automatic court appearance to explain to a judge why you were going so fast. USually charged with dangerous driving, big fine, huge demerits. Big insurance premiums for, I think, 6 yrs.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I disagree, the only difference between getting stopped and getting in an accident is luck, the offence is the same; driving drunk. everyone should be punished as if they'd been in an accident while drunk.

Excellent Point:beer:

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think truckers should be hit with 10 km over the limit, hate watching there headlights in the rear view mirrors when i'm already 10/15km over.:confused:

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think truckers should be hit with 10 km over the limit, hate watching there headlights in the rear view mirrors when i'm already 10/15km over.:confused:

I hope your kidding!! So your saying truckers don't have the same right on the road you do? They have to obey all the limits but you don't?? This should get interesting.
IMO if you don't like it, tint your back windows.

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope your kidding!! So your saying truckers don't have the same right on the road you do? They have to obey all the limits but you don't?? This should get interesting.
IMO if you don't like it, tint your back windows.

Nobodies above the law, truckers have the same right to be on a road as everybody else and the same opportunities to break the law with the same penalties for breaking them. However I think that all professional drivers should be held to a higher standard than your average non professional. It take's a lot more skill to drive a 80,000lb rig down the road than your average mini van and they have the ability to do a lot more damage. With this in mind I think that the fines for all professional drivers should be on a different tier than non professionals. There are a lot of good truckers on the road that can handle their iron, but there are also a lot who can't.

Top Bottom