stiffer speeding and dui laws in BC

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nobodies above the law, truckers have the same right to be on a road as everybody else and the same opportunities to break the law with the same penalties for breaking them. However I think that all professional drivers should be held to a higher standard than your average non professional. It take's a lot more skill to drive a 80,000lb rig down the road than your average mini van and they have the ability to do a lot more damage. With this in mind I think that the fines for all professional drivers should be on a different tier than non professionals. There are a lot of good truckers on the road that can handle their iron, but there are also a lot who can't.

The fines are much higher, and they dont go away after you have paid them. They are like a nasty rash.

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
4byrookie, You right I should clarify, I was commenting sheerly on some of the long haul truckers that I have encountered between Calgary and Revy on my many trips. And it truly amazes me of there ability of yanking there big rigs thru the rocks, till i see the many big rig wrecks. Yes there are a lot of good pro drivers, but I've never seen a bad trucker pulled over yet. That's my point.

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As of sept 20th BC will have the stiffest penalties in canada for people caught excessive speeding or driving while under the influence. Excessive speeding is doiung 40km/h over the posted speed limit, first offence is a 900.00 ticket, vehicle impounded for a week and if insured in BC an extra 320.00/year on your insurance for 3 years. The third offence it's a 8000.00 ticket and vehicle impounded for 60 days and extra 420.00/year for 3 years. The fifth offence it's a 24,000.00 fine.

Driving under the influence, if you blow .005 no more 24hr, it's a automatic 3day driving suspension, if you blow .008 then you lose your license for 60 days automaticlly and still face the dui charges in court.

Your Numbers for speeding are way out to lunch....40km/h over posted speed limit is now $368 with a 7 day impound of the Vehicle 2nd offence 30 day impound and 60 days for anything after that the the price of the ticket stays @ $368 no matter how many offences you have. 60km/h or greater is a $483 fine with the same impound time as the 40km.

Just Google BC new speed laws and this is what you will find...The demerits for excessive speeding is 3 points.

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are some good charges with these tickets though for the towing and the storage while impounded...Check out

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with the speeding part of these new laws cause nobody needs to go 40 km over, but I think the DUI law is absolute BS :mad:. This government we have in BC is slowly wittling away our rights and a couple of the most fundamental are the right to a fair trial and innocent before proven guilty. This law totally ignores these rights, you are guilty because someone says so no questions asked and you are not given the opportunity in court to prove otherwise, TOTAL BS :rant:.
Don't get me wrong. If you are driving while impaired then you deserve to be punished to the fullest extent of the law and this I believe is where the problem is. The punishment is fair to weak. If you kill someone because you were drunk driving then I don't want to see you for at least 10+ years or more. There are far to many of these douches who get out after a couple years, what a slap in the face for the victims family (we regret to inform you that your son/daughters life is only worth 2 years of the douches that killed them).

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd like to know the stats of the accidents that involve alchohol. I'd like to know how many accidents are caused by someone with a blood alchohol level of 0.05. I'd be willing to bet that by far the most if not all accidents involve a level of 0.08 or higher. For this reason I don't agree with dropping the limit to 0.05, this will just make a bunch of people criminals that really aren't, and won't save any lives. There should be nothing that law enforcement can do to you unless you are over the legal limit, period. Just my opinion.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Wow tough crowd in here ............... might have to go for a beer to ponder this over. :beer:;):beer:

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hummm might have to remember this if i drive the chevelle ss home from kelowna note too self dont speed :eek:

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not to worried about the .05 but iam Fawked when it comes to speeding, I would prefer due process of law as opposed to the word of an RC

Last edited:

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd like to know the stats of the accidents that involve alchohol. I'd like to know how many accidents are caused by someone with a blood alchohol level of 0.05. I'd be willing to bet that by far the most if not all accidents involve a level of 0.08 or higher. For this reason I don't agree with dropping the limit to 0.05, this will just make a bunch of people criminals that really aren't, and won't save any lives. There should be nothing that law enforcement can do to you unless you are over the legal limit, period. Just my opinion.

I guess when they abolished slavery it made a bunch of law abiding slave owners criminals too......

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What good does putting someone in jail for killing someone while drinking and driving do for that victim and their family? NOTHING. It is totally preventable and NO one should loose their life to it. Stricter laws may prevent them from driving in the first place. I would LOVE to see it 50+ years in jail for killing someone while drinking and driving. Far as i'm concerned it's like going into a room full of people and shooting a gun off with your eyes closed.

Even if you blow .08 you get fawk all. There are so many people with like 4-5 DUI's still got a license because the suspension and fines are so small.

I think they should leave it at .08, but get caught at that, 3 months in jail no license for 2 years. Second time double it, third time a few years in jail and no license ever again.

I bet there wouldn't be to many people drinking and driving if the consequences were that tough.....

Rights and freedoms are important, but the people endangering others should have no rights or freedoms.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well it think those people who have been involved in more that 3 accidents should be looked at very carefully....take those people off the road period. But they do not do anything to them. I know of one driver who has had 14 accidents, clean driving record...stellar driver!!! You may spot him one day, he has a 1 kilometer line up of traffic behind him. And i know of 4 people who have been killed by drunk drivers in for seperate instances...no remorse at all. All of them still drinking and driving of coarse.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The population of the greater Vancouver area is, and I quote: " The population of Greater Vancouver is approximately 2,116,581."

And they only caught three....

population of Greater Vancouver 2010 - True Knowledge

Not a very good media blurp on that but did you read about the excessive speeders in Langley?

Meanwhile, Langley RCMP began enforcing the new legislation regarding excessive speeding at 6 a.m. Monday and by mid-morning, five drivers had their vehicles impounded for seven days.

“Pursuant to Sec. 148 of the Motor Vehicle Act, police now have the authority to impound vehicles for seven days if the driver is caught exceeding the posted speed limit by 40 km/h,” said Langley RCMP Cpl. Holly Marks. “These five drivers exceeded the speed limit by 50, 53, 55, 56 and 69 km/h.”

The five drivers were issued violation tickets ranging from $348 to $483, will receive three penalty points on their driver’s licence and will have to play an ICBC driver-risk premium of $320 per year for three years over and above their insurance premium, said Marks.

“The cost of towing and storage is on average $350,” said Marks. “As you can easily see, excessively speeding is a very expensive proposition. With a specified penalty of $368, a driver may be required to pay additional penalties totalling over $1,650. The message here is obey the speed limit.”

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
We have brain dead Albertans doing that to. 40-50 over posted is the flow on Hwy 43 to Edmonton let alone the QE 2 to Calgary. Clowns doing 30-40 over in school zones, we need to stiffin' up alot here in wild rose country also :rant:

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this new law is good in some cases I personally dont get loaded and drive but i do on occasion have a beer at dinner and that would make you blow a 24hr here in bc. The law was good were it was just needed stricter enforcement but lowering it down to basiclly one beer is absolutely retarded in my books

Top Bottom