Starlink

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Real world, as an ISP today, you need about 4Mbps of network capacity during peak usage hours for every subscriber. We have seen that number climb significantly over the last 15 years though. There was a time where we served 500 users off of a 10Mbps connection.

It also needs to be considered that multiple satellites are sharing the same uplink. At some point they are going to hit a tipping point in loading users where those uplinks become tapped out faster than they can build new ground stations, and speeds will start to go down. It's really hard for an outsider to guess when they might happen though.

800RMK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you download the app and go up to the location there is a tool that will tell you if you'll have a good spot or not
I have the app but too lazy to climb onto the roof just to see lol. When I go up there, I’ll install the dish and see how it works.

800RMK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Download speeds look crazy fast but is this just because the highway (pipeline) isn’t too busy yet with subscribers?
Yes that was from this morning with my iPad right beside the router. Last nite I was getting speeds of 45 - 85 Mbps.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Saw this just now on Reddit.
RDT_20210808_1227475654035874819992646.jpg

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Saw this just now on Reddit.
View attachment 241059

I'd love to see that thing fly in person. The scale is just enormous. According to Elon; each Raptor engines turbopumps require 100,000hp to supply liquid methane and liquid oxygen to the combustion chamber at 4,400psi and a combined mass flow rate of 1,400lb/second. There are 29 engines on the current version of Superheavy, for a total of ~2.9million hp produced, just to pump the fuel and oxidizer.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Real world, as an ISP today, you need about 4Mbps of network capacity during peak usage hours for every subscriber. We have seen that number climb significantly over the last 15 years though. There was a time where we served 500 users off of a 10Mbps connection.

It also needs to be considered that multiple satellites are sharing the same uplink. At some point they are going to hit a tipping point in loading users where those uplinks become tapped out faster than they can build new ground stations, and speeds will start to go down. It's really hard for an outsider to guess when they might happen though.

Starlink speeds are going to increase over time. Latency will decrease.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have found that the speed has greatly increased and I don't have areas with limited or no no connection anymore over the last 3 months.

Not overly impressed so far, just north and west of St. Albert , it’s been pretty spotty for the past couple weeks. No obstructions, clear view to the heavens.

IMG_6012.jpg

puddle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our 5300 Asus router gave us similar results. There are technical settings on the router that interferes with the unfiltered speeds. Are your slow speeds on the Starlink router?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
just tried to sign up for it again........

See the screen shot

Starlink — Mozilla Firefox.png

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
just tried to sign up for it again........

See the screen shot

.View attachment 242051
Wow, I'm shocked to see this, they must have so many orders, trouble producing the equipment or there current infrastructure is maxed. Im real glad that I jumped in and got the system when I did. Thanks to the first post here that gave that initiative to do so.

Top Bottom