Smokey pro

Jasonc

Reaction score
I started my 2012 pro rmk the other day, it had not been started since Christmas, new baby. I took 8-10 pulls, usually no more than 2, smoked me out and I shut it down before the neighbors called the fire department. A week later I walked by and there was a black puddle on the floor under the sled. Any ideas?

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Warn your neighbors, and fire up your sled again. I start my 2010, on the last weekend of every month. My trailer get's smoke out, until about 100F. Then it burns nice and clean!!!

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Normal for them to smoke. Start it up get the track up off the ground and pin it a few times, not only will that get it running clean but also put a hudge smile on your face!

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Warn your neighbors, and fire up your sled again. I start my 2010, on the last weekend of every month. My trailer get's smoke out, until about 100F. Then it burns nice and clean!!!

Do you actually live your entire life on a schedule? So what happens on the first weekend of every month?
The longer your sled sits the crappier the gas gets in your lines and carb. Takes a bit to burn that chit through. As the boys say.... Get her to temp.

Last edited:

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The excessive smoke is from the oil residue sitting in the crankcase. The black oil on the floor is from the exhaust valve drain tube. Look in your belly pan. It is probably all black also.

Jasonc

Reaction score
So these things are all normal? There is oil in the belly pan. I probobly didn't let it warm up enough.

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are going to start it up during the off season then you should let it run long enough to get up to operating temperature for a while. This will evaporate any condensation that has accumulated in the crank case and pipe and will also get the residual oil hot enough to burn. The drain hose coming from the exhaust valves does make a mess. I have heard of some guys that double the hose back on itself thereby stopping the dripping of the oil but myself personally do not think that is a good idea as it would only cause more of a buildup of sludge on the exhaust valves. I suppose you could get away with doing that if you cleaned the valves often,and I mean often.

Jasonc

Reaction score
Draining is fine wih me, as long as I know where it's coming from. Polaris engineers thought those drains should be there then they should be there.

dirtbiker77

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
mine did the same.. sitting a long time all engines have sitting fluids and just need to burn em out. if the fuel was filled before you put it away maybe give it a drain. premium separates after a long time and burns like crap.. donate to the lawn mower and get some fresh fuel. warm her up and burn that oil boy and bask in the smell lol

chrishew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Completely normal. I've been told before that the oil reservior on sleds always seems to gravity feed a bit of oil down into the crankcase when it sits for a few months. Older machines definately seem worse. I re-routed the exhaust valve drain down to the can and stuck it through a belly pan drain hole next to the pipe outlet, cleans up the belly pan nicely. Definately don't plug the drain.

Top Bottom