sluicing the north sask

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone done some prospecting down on the river? I know prospectors point by Devon is a popular spot. From the research I have done it's all flour gold and realistically won't make any money doing it but it make for a good day out.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Anyone done some prospecting down on the river? I know prospectors point by Devon is a popular spot. From the research I have done it's all flour gold and realistically won't make any money doing it but it make for a good day out.

trailer sales slow? need to increase your income?

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
actually no...its been a good winter. Just looking for something new to do on nice days during the summer. I live right at the river so access is easy.

trailer sales slow? need to increase your income?

dogsmack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've thought of doing the same but see the holes and piles of tailings left behind and wonder if it is more harm then good. Not to mention some guy last season was stranded so I stopped to help. Drunk, wanted to leave behind a pile of garbage and pretty much an a$$hole. Another guy almost lost his jeep in the river at 770 launch one evening too. Another darwin award winner. I think it would be a decent day out if handled with a touch of professionalism.

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That being said you can go anywhere and find people that are screwing sh!t up. The holes that are dug and the tailings left behind should get moved about as the river rises or even as the ice moves in the winter. Just like anything else.....Pack out what you pack in.
Would be nice to find someone who has built a highbanker to get some feed back. What angles to run it at, water flow etc.

I've thought of doing the same but see the holes and piles of tailings left behind and wonder if it is more harm then good. Not to mention some guy last season was stranded so I stopped to help. Drunk, wanted to leave behind a pile of garbage and pretty much an a$$hole. Another guy almost lost his jeep in the river at 770 launch one evening too. Another darwin award winner. I think it would be a decent day out if handled with a touch of professionalism.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a freind who was doing that a few years back and yes all flower gold and takes a lot of work too accumulate much but a great hobby, wish I had numbers but I don't and buddy moved too Ontario

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
See guys doing it all the time. Tried lots of spots myself and found gold all over. I tried from the east of the city all the way to the big horn dam. Most gold I found has been around the Genesee area. Not much up stream towards Drayton valley. Built a sluice box for my neighbour and they do a lot of shovelling for small amounts of gold. But a really good way to kill a few hours and beer on a sunny day.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Don't know about Alberta but all holes/gravel pits have to be reclaimed after use here in Saskatchewan, or at least put to proper slope or fenced off. Hobbyist or not. could give the wildlife federation / watershed authority a call to complain? But then you could be opening a can of worms.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had an oilpan failure a couple years back and was able to float and tie off with a group. They kept an eye on the boat while we went back up for a bigger tow boat. not all bad guys.

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have looked into all that here. Not applicable. Just need a permit. $50

Don't know about Alberta but all holes/gravel pits have to be reclaimed after use here in Saskatchewan, or at least put to proper slope or fenced off. Hobbyist or not. could give the wildlife federation / watershed authority a call to complain? But then you could be opening a can of worms.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have looked into all that here. Not applicable. Just need a permit. $50

You don't need a permit to pan for gold. Once you have a sluice you do. But you can't sell your gold without a miners permit

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would never get enough to bother selling anyways!!!

My brother in law has been sluicing for about 4 years now. Not to much but a few days a month and he has an ounce now. He goes mostly between Devon and the city. I showed him a spot on my jet boat that I thought would be good. We did some test pans, and it was the most gold he seen in a pan on the nsr.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
exactly....good for 5 yrs

Now I think about it you can have a sluice run not a sluice box without a permit. The sluice run just lays in the river and water runs through it. It's when you pump the water into it that when you need a permit.

Top Bottom