slp kit on new m8

woodym7

Reaction score
can you run the pipe y pipe and can without running a controller, ive heard so many different things about this im not sur ewho to believe......

Bails

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are running just a y-pipe and a can, no controller needed. As far as a pipe goes, there are different stages(levels) of pipes. I'm lead to believe that if you have a very basic pipe then you should be alright without a controller, but as soon as you start getting into the performance pipes then a controller is needed.. I myself would put on a controller with any aftermarket pipe.

Thats what I would say, some of the other more techno savy people on here may have a better opinion

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you will have to do the controller my buddy had the 2010 le model and put an mbrp stinger can w/slp intake horn on his and kept throwing the octane light we ran a litre of race gas through it and it took out the light. I'm pretty sure u will need the controller to do the full pipe setup on the new M's

steven2120

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive running the MBRP Can with SLP Pipe and Y-Pipe, plus Boyseen Reeds and an SLP High Flow Intake Horn, and im not using a controller.

woodym7

Reaction score
Im not sure either i know when i talked to the slp guys in the booth in edmonton they recommended one for sure, ive heard lots of guys running 2 out of the 3 without a controller and being ok, except for the above post, im sure there are more though i know myself until the warranty is up im running the mbrp can and some clutching and some vents otherwise all is staying stock.......on a postive note we finally saw some snow this morning when we awoke its gone know but temps are holding low and forcast looks good. Pine pass is finally starting to get dumped on....

Octane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im running a Y- pipe and can (D&D)
with a BDX intake. From what i've read and heard you dont NEED a controller
but it isnt a bad idea. ( pipe and controller are next )

The 2010 M8's come running a little rich from factory, so with an intake and y-pipe your more or less balancing it out or at least your engine wont be in any danger from a lean condition.
But once you put a pipe on you change the amount of air being moved through the engine and how its moved, this generally creates a lean condition and is why u MUST run a controller unless you want to run the risk of melting your engine down

mur190

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i run a snopro intake, speedwerx y pipe, can, reeds and timing advance with no fuel controler...

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wife's M8 has an SLP pipe set, RKT 13.8:1 head, Boyesen rage cages, and STM exhaust valves. I am running a Boondocker box with this setup - it needs more fuel in the midrange to 7700 rpm ( don't want any trail burndowns). Hers is an 08 model, and SLP said I didn't require one, mind you the BD settings for my M1000 were out to lunch, too.

RK Tek

Reaction score
Website
www.2strokeheads.com
The controller needed or not needed question is one that there is not a 100% definite answer to.. The fuel rail pressure is the big cheese in determining wheter it requires a fuel controller or not.. so, the idea that ALL the sleds have the same fuel rail pressure is simply not true..

I wrote more about this on my site.. Maybe it will shed some light.. here is the link

cjay

Reaction score
if you are running a 2010 or 2011 m8 you will most diffenately need to run a box
at lower rpms its not an issue but when your wide open or full throttle ypu ll lean out and code
not recomended but pm POWERCLAW hes totally up on SLP products

but 400 bucks why take the chance
i have an 2011 hcr that we did together and he had it in the sled show . i went with dnd exhaust and cant even ride it till ny power comander comes in

he ll hook u up and even assist with your needs and ordering parts if needed

WATDAFOOK

Reaction score
if you are running a 2010 or 2011 m8 you will most diffenately need to run a box
at lower rpms its not an issue but when your wide open or full throttle ypu ll lean out and code
not recomended but pm POWERCLAW hes totally up on SLP products

but 400 bucks why take the chance
i have an 2011 hcr that we did together and he had it in the sled show . i went with dnd exhaust and cant even ride it till ny power comander comes in

he ll hook u up and even assist with your needs and ordering parts if needed

Absolutely right...Make sure if you own a 2010 or 2011 that you run a PCV with the auto tune..That way when you ride it's always mapping for you...

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm running SLP Y-pipe, SLP pipe, D&D can, and a D&D Firebreather; with no controller on my '08. The new 800HO I think is alot more like the 1000 than the old 800. It seems to need a controller with anything more than a can and a mild timing key from what I've been reading on various forums.

Top Bottom