Sledding in northern Saskatchewan

ardypol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've heard there are some good sledding areas in northern Saskatchewan. Anyone here, been up there? Are there clubs in the area there? Are there any landmarks or towns of note there? I'm not familiar with the area, but hear good things about going there. Might be good for a road trip?

cat girl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Goodsoil Sask is suppose to have great snow. I personally haven't been in the winter BUT we plan to take our kids there this year to try it out. The guy that owns Big Island Cove said that there is great snow fall and with the trees/hills it should be nice riding for the whole family. An inbetween flats and mountains maybe :)

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've heard there are some good sledding areas in northern Saskatchewan. Anyone here, been up there? Are there clubs in the area there? Are there any landmarks or towns of note there? I'm not familiar with the area, but hear good things about going there. Might be good for a road trip?
Supposed to be some great sledding up in the Candle Lake area.

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a groomed trail that runs all the way from Creighton SK to The Pas MB; if you get into that area. There is also a real nice full circle loop from Creighton to Denare Beach. We used to go for supper/pops to Denare Beach a few times during the winter. Closer to Prince Albert; Candle Lake is nice; but there is some real good riding around the Lower Fishing Lake/ Cariboo Creek Lodge area.:beer:

BigRed800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
9 of us went to Candle Lk last winter (north of Prince Albert sk) lots of groomed trails we stayed at the lodge by the golf course very nice my only suggestion is take extra fuel and if youre going to be out late take some grub the local cafes close early or what we did was book some tables before we left in the am

badgerstauffer

Reaction score
There is great trail riding around the Emma Lake and Christopher lake area. You can connect over to Candle lake and up to Elk ridge with a ton of different routes to choose from.

ardypol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Regarding the afore mentioned posts, are there clubs up there to contact or is it pretty much a free for all?

badgerstauffer

Reaction score
There is club's but as long as you have plates on your sled your are able to ride the trails.

On here they have all the trail maps for each club as well as there contacts.

FlatLandMann

Reaction score
If you follow the links on the map on the web page below it should take you the the club in that area. I have worked around Meadow Lake - Chitek Lake the past couple of winters and they keep the trails groomed and in good shape most of the time.

renegadeya

Reaction score
if you goto the Saskatchewan Snowmobile Association you can download all the trail system maps for each club and I do believe there is contact info as well....all the trail systems seem to link up from the different clubs and you can have pretty much endless sledding...if you get out to the Pasqua Hills (between Carrot River and Hudson Bay) take extra gas its about 75 to 85 miles of pure forest type trails (definately one of my favorites...gorgeous through there)..hope this helps

Toeknee

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you goto the Saskatchewan Snowmobile Association you can download all the trail system maps for each club and I do believe there is contact info as well....all the trail systems seem to link up from the different clubs and you can have pretty much endless sledding...if you get out to the Pasqua Hills (between Carrot River and Hudson Bay) take extra gas its about 75 to 85 miles of pure forest type trails (definately one of my favorites...gorgeous through there)..hope this helps

I have rode the Hudson bay area a fair bit and yes it is pretty nice in that area and the local clubs do a great job on the trails. There are endless miles of untouched trails too if you know where to look
Below are a few pictures of the Pasqua Hills forst area that you are talking about and also a few from Hudson bay trails system.
My buddy has a trap line up there next to the Over Flow River and that is his cabin in the pictures, power is by generator and heats with wood it is actually a pretty comfortable place to spend the night, that is until the ch!t pail starts to unthaw in the morning:eek:

Attachments

• IMGP0349.jpg
    IMGP0349.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 99
  • IMGP0297.jpg
    IMGP0297.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 83
  • IMGP0351.jpg
    IMGP0351.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 91
  • IMGP0316.jpg
    IMGP0316.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 89
  • IMGP0296.jpg
    IMGP0296.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 89

redrum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a cabin up at Candle Lake and really enjoy the trails around that area. It`s not BC by any means but, still alot of great sledding. Attached is a map of the area around Candle.

Attachments

• Picture 022.jpg
    Picture 022.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 92

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sledding just north of Candle Lake is good.Whiteswan lake( half hour ish north)is good. Been in Candle had a foot of snow, went ot Whiteswan and there was like 3 feet. Little Bear lake is around an hour north of candle maybe hour and a half and sledding there is real good. Rode there in around 7 feet of snow one weekend couple years ago was definitely worth the 11 hour drive from Whitecourt. Lots of trails and there is a snowmobile club at Whiteswan Lake called Whiteswan Snow Hawks, my father's inlaws run it, real nice people.

hayastusa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's lots of great riding all over Sask. The many local clubs maintain an extensive trail system and the boreal forest is excellent cover... but is there snow there now??? The weather network website shows snow. Can anyone confirm?

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Growing up in Melfort I we had friends that had a cabin at Christopher lake...spent many a winter at their cabin. Now when I'm home we usually head off to Greenwater. I'll be in Melfort next weekend and was hoping to do some sledding...guess not this year.
I have a cabin up at Candle Lake and really enjoy the trails around that area. It`s not BC by any means but, still alot of great sledding. Attached is a map of the area around Candle.

hayastusa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went sleddin today North of Goodsoil. A place called Muskeg lake logging road. 6-8 inches. Enough to pull the wifes sled off the trailer. :Snowmobile1: Now I'm good for a few days:specool:

Top Bottom