Sled deck vs open drive on/off trailer

DaddyO499

Reaction score
Have very old trailer. Need to upgrade to haul two sleds. What is the opinion out there? Sled deck or go with trailer?

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
go down a icy road pulling a trailer with a cross wind then do it with a sled deck and 2 sleds you will never go back to a trailer when you have to drive 5-10 klms up the trail to unload deck every time

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went with an enclosed trailer over my open trailer for obvious reasons. But a sled deck is also in my future. A trailer you can use for a lot more then sleds too. But when driving a sled deck is way better.

96sherm

Reaction score
Last year I borrowed a lightweight aluminum 2 place open DO/DO trailer. Travelled from Eastern Saskatchewan to Golden, then Eastern Saskatchewan to Valemount. Roughly 12 hours of driving each way constantly looking in mirrors watching for something to go wrong, checking tires and bearings at fuel stops, etc. We had two bad incidences, first was the trailer plug came undone from the truck just past Banff, in the dark of course. We "jerry rigged" the wiring to get to Golden, I lost a front tooth in the process, stripping wires (Darwin move on my part). Part two of incidences with the trailer was some body robbed my reciever pin in the Silent Pass parking lot and I didn't notice until the reciever departed from the truck on our way down the logging road back to Golden. Lucky I'm a contractor and had a couple pieces of rebar in the truck that we used as a temporary pin until we got to Golden. The Valemount trip went without incident, but the constant watching in the mirrors waiting for something to go wrong was a headache in itself.

This year we were faced with the decision of whether to buy that trailer we borrowed (it was a nice trailer and a good deal for what the guy was asking) or buy a deck. I bought a new truck that could handle the weight of the deck and sleds, so I bought a BullDog deck with superclamps. I've only used it on short trips so far, but I far prefer it over the trailer already. We properly fastened it to the truck with eyebolts and metal plates through the box. No more mirror checking, no tires to go flat, no bearings to grease, no reciever pin to lose, and I feel that the sleds are more secure from "easy thieves" when they're at that height and locked to the deck. The only con I see to the deck, is that the first few times loading and offloading the sleds is a little unnerving, but be sober and in control and its not a problem.

Sorry about the book, but this is how I feel on this topic, hope it aids in your decision making!!

96sherm

Reaction score
Glad I could help. Just be sure you have the available capacity with your truck. I had a 2011 F150 and it was not quite enough to handle the deck, sleds, 2 guys and gear. Traded up to a F250, now have no issues.

Jeff Braap Woginowski

Reaction score
Deck all the way. Parking is one of my biggest reasons. Just back up to the hotel and go inside. No trying to weasel a trailer in a crowded parking lo

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A deck is the best way to go if you ride in areas that don't have large parking lots to turn around. Take a look at the sleds on a trailer after driving 15-20kms on a muddy road in the spring. Also look around the stolen sleds thread and see how many trailer/sled combos are taken, way easier to hook up and drive away.

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It also depends if you need your pickup box space available . I have had both and prefer the open 2 place trailer.When I'm done sledding 1 minute and everythings unhooked and my box is empty.Try unloading a sled deck by yourself and then moving it around.I have 3 trailers and love the convieniance of a quick unhook. I have been bumper pulling trailers for the last 20yrs and always have a work trailer strapped to my Duramax.To me backing up, parking its all a no brainer just lots of experiance and never an issue.

BIGTurboT

Reaction score
It all depends on the truck you have. 1/2 ton - 2 place trailer (which depending on your area may be close if not over legal weight full loaded). 3/4 ton or bigger - Deck for sure! I have a 8' Truckboss on an F-350. Really like it. Lotsa weight on icy roads, zero maintenance as stated earlier, lotsa room for gear under the deck. Deck damn near fully seals the box off from snow & dust, as long as you remember to flip down the rear seal! LOL. If your tailgate locks, everything in the back is secure. The Truckboss is a fair ways on the expensive side, but I feel ya get what ya pay for. And its fairly appealing to the eye too. Definetly equip it with the carbide protection package, and the 4 under deck legs, and some sorta lighting underneath. Only upgrade to a 12' ramp if you have a wildly tall truck with a long box. My stock '12 F-350 FX4, 10' ramp is tons, not steep at all. Trailers are definetly nice and have there place, but if your only hauling 2 machines I would seriously consider a deck.

Good luck!

senorjeem

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had them all, and I will tell you that:
An enclosed trailer is great because you have off season storage as well as a nice clean sled whenever you pull it. They are a pain to turn around on a logging road in the spring though.
A deck is great because you can turn around pretty much antwhere, but they get covered in crap, or the covers get covered in crap and freeze solid while you ride. Decks will, unfortunately raise your center of gravity so when you are driving up a rough road in the spring, you need to take it pretty cool because your sleds are up there making your truck wallow around like a sailboat, and don't even get me started about loading you sleds if you happen to be on a side slope :eek:. Two place bumper pull!! I friggin hate those little pissy tires and I also think that they are too easy to steal, not to mention that they get covered with crap worst of all. The single best option IMHO is a flatdeck pickup and I am working on a design that has an integral cover. Sleds are nice and low, cover will keep them clean and you can turn around on a dime.

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've ran a 2 place aluminum with a fiberglass topcap for a few years. Keeps sleds dry and clean. The trailer is light enough and balances that one guy can hand bomb it around by himself on a logging road. I know I have done it a few times! I just bought a 4 place enclosed (damn kids) and wife is wanting me to sell it. Only issue is that I am sure I will regret it as soon as some one drives it off the property. Mine is the fiberglass one by Top Cap. I guess that they stopped making them and that is why I am a little hesitant to put it up here or Kijiji!

I would put a photo up, but not letting me upload today for some reason?

Last edited:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I've ran a 2 place aluminum with a fiberglass topcap for a few years. Keeps sleds dry and clean. The trailer is light enough and balances that one guy can hand bomb it around by himself on a logging road. I know I have done it a few times! I just bought a 4 place enclosed (damn kids) and wife is wanting me to sell it. Only issue is that I am sure I will regret it as soon as some one drives it off the property. Mine is the fiberglass one by Top Cap. I guess that they stopped making them and that is why I am a little hesitant to put it up here or Kijiji!

I would put a photo up, but not letting me upload today for some reason?

try resizing the photo first, it may be too large.

NorthstaRmk

Reaction score
Just bought a marlon sleddeck, my dad has a triton 2 place that we have been using for a few years, but the convenience of a sled deck is just way better, turn around wherever, cargo is locked underneath, load/unload time is faster IMO. sidenote, i had a 2011 f150 4door 6.5' box GVWR of 7350# and it came in on the scales at 7410# with deck, one sled, one guy, full tanks of fuel and gear. i just bought a 250 so as to be legal cheers.

96sherm

Reaction score
Just bought a marlon sleddeck, my dad has a triton 2 place that we have been using for a few years, but the convenience of a sled deck is just way better, turn around wherever, cargo is locked underneath, load/unload time is faster IMO. sidenote, i had a 2011 f150 4door 6.5' box GVWR of 7350# and it came in on the scales at 7410# with deck, one sled, one guy, full tanks of fuel and gear. i just bought a 250 so as to be legal cheers.

My 2011 F150 had the 7700lb payload package and that wouldn't have been enough to cut it either. I also bought a F250 to be clear, plus its a benifet to my business...

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a marathon sled deck,a 2 place aluminum drive on/off triton trailer and know my brother has a enclosed trailer for 3 sleds.they all have there good points and bad points,but if its just 2 people sleeding the deck is what i would go with if your truck can handle it,1/2 tons wont pass at the weight scale need a 3/4 ton.with us its usually 3 of us and i think the enclosed will be nice but if 2 of us go it will lkely be the sled deck

Top Bottom