Skidoo xm with 3 inch track

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I could only wish, parts are ready to go, but c3 is only two months behind, last I heard is next week if that means anything... Second guessing if its not done real soon to rebuild old chassie

Fredw you get that lightweight nasa prototype #2 dialed this year???

Winter Brew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just to add a little to this thread...
We are running a 162 3" 15 wide on one of the XM's. This still works very good as far as climbing and getting around in the deep (the reasons most guys go 3"), while also being lighter weight and bringing back a lot of the nibleness and fun factor that a narrower and lighter track provides. If a guy does a 15 wide with the center punch you will also see better cooling as it throws more snow on the cooler. :beer:

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sooooooooooooooooooo what you are saying fred is that the 13-14 are rolled enough for the 3" with 7 tooth drivers?????????????? Right

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, if you have a 13 or 14 xm, and want to add the 3 inch track, you need to remove the stock drivers and put on 7 tooth 3 inch pitch avid drivers... There are also a few rivets to tap up in the front but takes little effort, and when you install drive shaft it will be tight, but will work...

Sooooooooooooooooooo what you are saying fred is that the 13-14 are rolled enough for the 3" with 7 tooth drivers?????????????? Right

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok sounds good!! Got all the stuff I get it in while I'm waiting for the other nasa rider to heal up. Then we all meet in revy :)

Brian_XM

Reaction score
With the Camo X3 who has attempted to break it into a 3" flex track? Results?

Last edited:

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the track rod thing is a gimmick. There is no way the edge of the track is flexing with a 2.5 or 3 inch paddle running perpendicular to the belting. Try to bend those lugs lengthwise. Not a chance.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the track rod thing is a gimmick. There is no way the edge of the track is flexing with a 2.5 or 3 inch paddle running perpendicular to the belting. Try to bend those lugs lengthwise. Not a chance.

Agreed, I have been saying that since I seen the flex edge. I feel the x3 flexs more as the durometer of rubber is much softer than doos track so the paddles fold more.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought the track flexed at the track windows? Not the lugs.

Sent from my iPhone using

Winter Brew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I cant tell any difference running flex edge vs X3 as far as pulling the sled over or how agile it is. I think the snow is almost always going to give before the track does...flex edge is sort of gimmicky IMO. If anything, the paddles being narrower on the X3 might make it more agile than the full width paddle flex edge. Tough to say. Now the 15 wide is more agile than both, just gives up the flotation of a 16. I am running a Polaris track right now and it doesnt dig like the stiffer paddles, seems to stay on top better.

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I disagree. We have two xm's. One is stock and one has a 16x163x2.5 challenger extreme track. The difference in handling is huge. When we switch sleds you notice instantly how much harder it is to lean over with the CE track. The flex edge is a huge improvement. Even though the CE hooks up a bit better it is coming off again.

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score

Not true. Im not saying it makes a HUGE difference on a 3"... thats a pretty big lug to bend... But when we broke the rods you can do one side first... yank it over just standing beside it... then go and do the other side... there is a very obvious difference. you cant BEND the lugs lenthwise.... becuase that would be you.. using your hands. Rest 450 punds on one of those lugs lenthwise and I assure you it will bend.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not true. Im not saying it makes a HUGE difference on a 3"... thats a pretty big lug to bend... But when we broke the rods you can do one side first... yank it over just standing beside it... then go and do the other side... there is a very obvious difference. you cant BEND the lugs lenthwise.... becuase that would be you.. using your hands. Rest 450 punds on one of those lugs lenthwise and I assure you it will bend.

true.

the OLD style 3" deffinetly works better with broken rods you can feel it in the shop or on hardpack. but it deffinetly does not work as good as the factory track. you can also feel that on the hard snow.

Top Bottom