Ski doo 670 recoil rotated ???

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 98 670 summit and I went to take it out last night. I found it real hard to crank over but I got it going. This morning looking at it in the light I noticed that the recoil has done a 180 and the cord is coming out the front. Does anyone know what might cause this? is it simply vibrations that moved it can I just loosen it and rotate it back to where it is supposed to be?

H2SNOW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 98 670 summit and I went to take it out last night. I found it real hard to crank over but I got it going. This morning looking at it in the light I noticed that the recoil has done a 180 and the cord is coming out the front. Does anyone know what might cause this? is it simply vibrations that moved it can I just loosen it and rotate it back to where it is supposed to be?

giving that the night was Saturday ...how many rum and cokes were involved ????

take a pic and we'll look again

s/b tech

Reaction score
There is a rubber dampner that has protrusion on it to keep it in position when the metal band is tight. Seeing that it was loose and rotated it may have broken the rubber at this point. Check to make sure that it is still intact and ckeck to make sure that the metal band clamp stays tight. Doo has updated the starter so that it is now bolted on instead of being clamped on. Hopefully this helps.

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here are some photos of it.

Attachments

• march 2009 021.jpg
    march 2009 021.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 60
  • march 2009 012.jpg
    march 2009 012.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 62
  • march 2009 015.jpg
    march 2009 015.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 63
  • march 2009 018.jpg
    march 2009 018.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 58

ridehard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd pull the starter off and see inside if you don't have a fouled spring, or sticking engagement pawls, that might want to drag it out of it's neutral position, which would be straight in line with the starter rope, etc.

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd pull the starter off and see inside if you don't have a fouled spring, or sticking engagement pawls, that might want to drag it out of it's neutral position, which would be straight in line with the starter rope, etc.

How do they come off and apart.

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
giving that the night was Saturday ...how many rum and cokes were involved ????

take a pic and we'll look again

There weren't any on this trip as it was a quick last minute ride so my buddy could take his wife out on his new sled. He didn't want to go up alone.
But I can guarante there will be a few rye and cokes while fixing this recoil.
:d:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

ridehard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Loosen the circular clamp enough, and the recoil will just about fall into your hands.
You've got lots of corrosion. Be careful with the bolts, and get some decent spray lube.
Do not pull the big plastic pulley out of the inside of the recoil or you'll need help to re-install the main rewind spring......and if not done with some experience this can haunt you later.
The outer small spring and two locking pawls are visible without taking much apart, but again, do not lift the rope sheave(big pulley).

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see how the clamp comes off, if I un do it is there anything that may spring out on the inside or is the inner recoil spring bolted on. does anyone have a picture what it looks like removed?

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ust loosen the clamp and spin the recoil around so it points to where you want it. Watch the rope is not rubbing on anything when you are done. You can take it right off if you wish, but don't let the rope spring back in if you take the handle off. If you just take the ring off and pull the recoil out, do not take anything apart inside if you have not done this before. Once the ring and recoil is off, you can spray some wd 40 or something in there to clean it out then bolt everthing back on at the right angle.

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow nothing on my sled likes to be easy. the clamp rotated upside down into the smallest area to get a wrench, it was definatley a treat to get off.
I got some new pics of it off. I rotated it and put it back on for now. I think it may move again because the clamp was as tight as it would go. there looks like there is a tab that may have broken off is that what holds it from rotating?

Attachments

• ski doo 012.jpg
    ski doo 012.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 60
  • ski doo 018.jpg
    ski doo 018.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 55
  • ski doo 021.jpg
    ski doo 021.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 60
  • ski doo 014.jpg
    ski doo 014.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 70

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't remember a tab on mine, but the rubber gasket must be in the right place and the steel ring tight Slide the ring so the bolt is on the top side so it is easy to get at.

Top Bottom