Should Justice John Rooke Get a Medal?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Armoured car guard Travis Baumgartner given 40 years without parole for deadly 2012 robbery | CTV News

Finally for once nice to see a judge with some cahones hand down a proper sentence. No more fluffy 3:1 time served and all that other crap, hope the rest of the justice system takes note. Great to see a precedence set, we need harsher sentences like this all over the justice system.

40 yrs is a long time to be someone's girlfriend. bye bye dude, hope your life is prison gives you a small glimpse of the pain you've given these families.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
best news the victims families probably had for a while. I agree it is about time a judge steps up and dishes out a sentence that is well deserved. I would have gone one step further and not allow any parole. Not sure if that is possible.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The A-hole did make it easy for them by pleading guilty on all charges. Had he tried for some sort of insanity, or "not my fault" plea, the outcome may have been different. Honestly though...at 22 with the next 40 years (and probably longer) to be in jail, why not just bring back the death penalty?

SlowKrawl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am happy the justice system stepped up for this one, but I still think it would be better off if we could do us taxpayers a favour and just off the SOB so we don't have to pay for his friggin meals till he dies. Maybe someone in there will do the deed for us....

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
because it would have probably taken 40 years just to execute the POS while on death row. I dont understand why it takes years to turn the switch on when you have been given the death sentence.

The A-hole did make it easy for them by pleading guilty on all charges. Had he tried for some sort of insanity, or "not my fault" plea, the outcome may have been different. Honestly though...at 22 with the next 40 years (and probably longer) to be in jail, why not just bring back the death penalty?

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Would be a blessing to have the death penalty enforced here..... Instead we, the taxpayers have to pay to keep this lowlife scumbag alive for at least the next 40 years........

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good news? Yes definitely! Should we give the guy a metal for doing his job? ...well, I don't get a metal every time I successfully complete a task at work, so why should the judge? On the other hand maybe the community should band together and present him with a nice fat cheque. Maybe then other judges will start handing out life sentences in hopes of being rewarded similarly.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good point..... he is doing his job but not sure if I want a judge on the payroll, if you know what I mean. Money is so tempting even for people of power and they will take advantage of it. All I have to say is do your job as the people expect you to do, and we should not have any problems.

Good news? Yes definitely! Should we give the guy a metal for doing his job? ...well, I don't get a metal every time I successfully complete a task at work, so why should the judge? On the other hand maybe the community should band together and present him with a nice fat cheque. Maybe then other judges will start handing out life sentences in hopes of being rewarded similarly.

dale+shan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A medal? No. A fat cheque? No, they are already well compensated. Judges are lawyers, they have made their millions. A hearty handshake and an "atta boy, keep up the good work" should be enough. Travis B. will someday look in the mirror and ask "WTF have I done!" His life is wasted and ruined. No pity for him, my feelings are for all families he has devastated. As for the missing $, its just a coincidence that he owed his mom about $60 000 for a truck and back rent.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If you were a welder, you would get a metal for doing your job.

green-horn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1- Isn't money what started this!

2- If I was a betting man .....I would wager he changes his mind sooner or later. Asks for a new lawyer, trial, or both saying he was not guilty. Only time will tell.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A medal? No. A fat cheque? No, they are already well compensated. Judges are lawyers, they have made their millions. A hearty handshake and an "atta boy, keep up the good work" should be enough. Travis B. will someday look in the mirror and ask "WTF have I done!" His life is wasted and ruined. No pity for him, my feelings are for all families he has devastated. As for the missing $, its just a coincidence that he owed his mom about $60 000 for a truck and back rent.

The point was at least someone in the justice system finally applied a law they passed 2 yrs ago and that joe public i.e me, supports much harsher penalties for at least one criminal in the system and we should support it when they apply it....... or we can sit idly by and say nothing and just keep bitchin about the system not handing out stiffer punishments.

Do I think life without parole for 40 yrs is enough or do I think they should dip a baseball bat into epoxy, then roll it around in some glass shards, and let the victims relatives beat him with it before dropping his ass in a pool of 8% hydrogen peroxide and watch him scream in pain for about 8 hours before his skin finally melts off? ......but that is besides the point here. If you are stupid enough to kill 3 people for $60Gs owed on a truck and back rent, your life was already a waste so who gives a **** about what you wake up and say, but that's just my friends opinion. :D

Is the judge really going to get anything other than a pat on the back? Probably not. Do we have to house him for 40 yrs, not if he dies of "natural" causes before then...but hey, at least the little guy finally got one over on the criminals who seem to have every advantage in our system where the victims have none, so don't be too hard on the judge as I'm sure he will be scrutinized enough by the criminal-loving defence attorneys.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ahmen brother! Bet he didn't see that coming when he plead guilty!

Seems too good to be true...I'm sure it'll get appealed but it's a start!

Top Bottom