RV water treatment

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know there has been a thread about this before but our rv water is a bit skanky.. what was the pool treatment that was suggested? Not for drinking just shower and wash dishes.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you use well water in the RV and don't train the tank...especially the HW tank....it gets stinky. When it happened to me I drained everything, then put 10-12 gallons in the main tank. Add a 1/2 cup of bleach. If yours was like my old one with no gravity fill, turn off the fill hose, unhook the hose, slosh bleach into it, hook back up and add another 1/2 gal of water (with the bleach in the hose) to the tank. Let the RV pump fill the HW tank, run bleach water through all the taps like you're winterizing. Let it sit an hour or so and drain 'er all again. Don't forget HW tank.

JayT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I pour a couple cups of 12% chlorine in the garden hose and then fill the water tanks. Run through all the faucets and hot water tank. Let sit over night. Flush Twice with full tanks of water And everything's fresh. Probably way higher concentration than I need but it really cleans it

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine went south after filling from my dads well.

I put a good dose of our hot tub chlorine in a couple litres of water and dumped in the tank.

If your eyes burn in the shower you used a little too much!

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lot of people forget to drain their fresh water after a trip and let it sit for a couple weeks in the heat until they top it up for the next trip. You should always drain your tank after a holiday as well as your hot water tank. It just sits in stews in there creating bacteria from being stagnant.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sodium Dichlor granules.....can be purchased in the pool section at C-Tire last I bought it Potent stuff, takes very little. No smell, no taste. Been using it for a while now. One container is years worth of supply.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Quarter cup of bleach to 18 gallons is recommended dosage and Let it sit for 12 hrs. Make sure to fill the tank and run each
Tap to ensure all surfaces are Disenfected.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran it through a fresh water tank, and pumped through the hot water line to get the funk out of a hot water tank. Worked great, and no one died. Just don't snort it or eat it raw. I don't think its any worse than bleach when diluted with 100 liters.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Household bleach is an industrial disinfectant. Full of nasty salts...hence the left over taste and smell. Sodium Dichlor is a potent disinfectant that is pure chlorine. You can smell it while it's working, but no smell or taste after rinsing. I use a whopping teaspoon full in a tank.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have never disinfected my freshwater tank on any of my trailers, and the water stays In the trailer all summer, no smell no issues.
I think it’s more to due with the water that gets put in there, and I always purge the hose before I fill the tank. Regular garden hoses with make the water in them go bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have never disinfected my freshwater tank on any of my trailers, and the water stays In the trailer all summer, no smell no issues.
I think it’s more to due with the water that gets put in there, and I always purge the hose before I fill the tank. Regular garden hoses with make the water in them go bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Done some reading in past that if you continue to use treated municipal water supplies, tank stank should not be an issue. I still like one clean/flush at the beginning of the season. Agree with good hose and purge.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Used the Sodium Dichlor at 100ml for 100 gal to shock my tank, worked great dumped it and going to refill with 25ml per 100 gal minimal smell... converted.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Where do you get this Sodium Dichlor? I've used bleach and my ice cubes tast like it for a bit every spring!
Pool section of Canadian Tire is where Zrrr says he found it, up in post #10

Top Bottom