Rubicon Performance Upgrades

brianwmcdonald

Reaction score
Hey, just wondering if any body knows if ther is a performance aftermarket cdi avaiable for the Honda Rubicon, or any other such performance upgrades that may be out there I'd like to know about.

Thanks.

RatBoy

Reaction score
I was thinking the same...
Did you find much difference in power with your pipe, jets, and filter?
I am running 25" Mud Lites and I bog down hard in high.

brianwmcdonald

Reaction score
I did find quite a difference with those upgrades, but what made the most difference was cutting my carb spring in half. Adds a lot to the bottom end and doesn't hurt te top end. The bike wants to lift the front off the ground now in low range when you pin it.

Rubicon500

Reaction score
I've got the same bike and was wondering how thw 2"lift affected the handling did it make it better? If you find out about a CDI let me know would you thanks

brianwmcdonald

Reaction score
The lift really helped out, didn't affect the handling much, but really helps out on the trail, I definetly recommend putting one in.

brianwmcdonald

Reaction score
I have but when you add wheel spaces you lose some of your height I might try them some time, but I'm very pleased with my Ruby the way I have her. Plenty of power, very rarely get stuck, If I gte stuck so do the guys with the 800's and such.

MACH

Reaction score
Website
www.mountainmachines.com
The lift doesn't do much for the ride. After I added the lift I put High Lifters HD springs in and WOW! made a huge difference on handling. Alot less body roll which makes for a sporty feel.

If you are looking for some performance upgrades check into a mudbuster cam and maybe a pipe jet kit and filter if you haven't done any of that yet.

honda-doo

Reaction score
Just curious where you got the following work done and what it cost you for each. I find my Rubi a little boggish on the bottom end and want some upgrades. Thanks
Big Gun EVO Exhaust
K & N Filter
Dynojet Carb Kit
HL Outlaw Clutch Kit

plumbum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.outlawatvclub.com
Just curious where you got the following work done and what it cost you for each. I find my Rubi a little boggish on the bottom end and want some upgrades. Thanks
Big Gun EVO Exhaust
K & N Filter
Dynojet Carb Kit
HL Outlaw Clutch Kit

i have some suggestions for your machine. it is stuff i use and have found works well.

HMF swamp series exhaust- maintenece free, no packing, nice rumble but only a little bit louder than stock. great power.

K&N air filter is good as long as you dont plan to ride in alot of dusty conditions. i use it but i mud.

dynojet is good. works well and the spring helps with throttle response quite a bit.

mudbuster cam. once you do the exhaust and filter the motor still doesnt breathe very well. the single biggest improvement i found.

and get it dyno tuned. this is a nice improvement. starts nice, runs nice and 100% gaurenteed to be the right tune. no chops or guessing. and make sure to tell them the elevation at which you ride most.

as for the clutch kit, i wouldnt recomend it, unless you are running 28" or larger tires. not very good for technical riding.

and you can take it to accurate dyno tuning in sherwood park. he does that work and is knowledgable, plus he backs his work 100%. robs a good guy.

JOESKIDOO

Reaction score
Where did you get your 2" lift, all I see out there is 1.5". Do you have a part number, supplier phone # etc?

JOESKIDOO

Reaction score
I cut my spring in half and it made it run like a dog, this is the spring right under the cap in the black rubber boot right?

Sluggish, burps and low power now....

Any other adjustments i need to do to make it run back to normal atleast.

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I find that the Rubi CTE still rides a little rough to my liking. Is there a big difference when installing different springs/shocks. I only weigh 150lbs and I notice when heavier people ride the same bike they get a better response in the back. Am I imagining things? My son has an IRS grizzly 350, he weighs about 80 lbs and he says his machine is rough too.

brianwmcdonald

Reaction score
I don't think changing you springs will help you problem, it may help a bit but seeing asyou aen't carrying a lot of weight try adjusting your preloader to theirlowest setting and see how that helps.

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
They are at there lowest settings. The only time it is a big issue is on trails with roots,rocks and dirt whoops. Mind you hubby has a '08 grizz 700 and he gets a rough ride to on those kind of trails, but because of the IRS it is not as bad.

leesrubi500

Reaction score
I was wondering about the disc brake kit that you can get for rubicon 500.if it was really worth the money .it looks kinda chinky weak . has anyone done the swap yet?

rubicon guy

Reaction score
I'm still pretty new to four wheelin so theres alot I don't know about. I took the spark arrester off mine and it made a difference 2 of the bolts broke in the process thank you honda. My question is what can I do to help the performance without spending alot of money? I would like to do a K&N, carb jets, and an exhaust upgrade but I don't have the money right now. So what about messing with the carb spring or are there any other options I don't know about? :cool: (2007 rubicon GPS.)

Last edited:

brianwmcdonald

Reaction score
cutting the carb spring back will give you better throttle response, you could try cutting just a few rings off and go from there, I'd also get a k & n filter, they're only about 70 bucks, and go from there. Do like I did, buy a few things here and there then it doesn't seem too bad, I've got a MudBuster cam shaft for mine for xmas, just waiting to get it in and installed, should rip pretty good then.

fhe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gees, I've got an "08 Rubi and seems power less. Interested in the Carb spring mod and do I need to do more? Clutch kit??

Top Bottom