Rubicon First Oil Change??

Rubicon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On a brand new Rubicon, would you go for the 10 hrs??... or wait a little longer till things break in a bit? Any info appreciated.

dragonlady

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don;t second guess yourself. Go the 10, get the oil change, then go at the 50hr. For the little bit that it takes, Why "WANT" to break something? Doesn't make sense, These machines cost alot, plus gear and so on, on, on. Save now, TO..... spend on it later!

plumbum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.outlawatvclub.com
the factory recomends first service and valve adjustment at the 20 hour/150km mark. not the 10 like the dealers say. i have informed riverside of this when i brought mine in. they checked the service manual and confirmed the time/km's, if they listened is a different storey. anyway do not bring it in until the 20 hour mark or you reach the km's. whichever comes first.. and if you forget, the machine will tell you when. starts blinking oil change.

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Plumbum is spot on with the 20 hours. I do my first oil change after 20 hours, and the first valve adjustment after 40 hours. My dealer told me to hold off on the valves, because at 20 hours the engine is still breaking in, and the valve would quickly go out of adjustment again. My $0.02

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mikew is correct on the valve set. A valve set at 20 hours will result in have to do another one at 150-200 hours. I found if you wait until 50 hours you will not have to touch the valves again until the head comes off for other work.

As for the first oil change I recommend changing oil and oil filter at 10 hours. Before anyone recommends anything more than 10 hours needs to open up an oil filter at the first oil change. Typically the filter will be hold a teaspoon of filings and shaving after just a few hours.

The Rubicon uses the engine oil for the transmission pump/drive.That transmission will not tolerate a single shaving of metal.

MACH

Reaction score
Website
www.mountainmachines.com
Changed my oil on my new rubicon at exactly 100 miles, which was around 20 hours.

I used Amsoil Forumla 4 0-40W oil. Made it start alot easier and shifts alot better.

I also did the valve adjustments at at the shortly after. Mine were way off and made a heck of a difference with throttle response. I can actually ride wheelies without standing on the racks. I am probably going to check them again this summer though.

Top Bottom