Rivets

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Over the summer I am doing the 09-11 tunnel conversion on my 08. Just wondering if there is any special rivets I should use or will stainless do just fine?

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
don't use stainless, aluminum will work fine otherwise if you damage your rear tunnel like i did and have to remove the stainless rivets like i had to, you will be cursing. had to cut them off with snips because you can't drill them out and grinding didn't work either. just my experience anyways.

tchriste

Reaction score
don't use stainless, aluminum will work fine otherwise if you damage your rear tunnel like i did and have to remove the stainless rivets like i had to, you will be cursing. had to cut them off with snips because you can't drill them out and grinding didn't work either. just my experience anyways.

X2.......I anodized my tunnel etc and used stainless......you don't want to have to remove them.

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never thought about having to remove them again. That would definately be a PITA. Thanks guys.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Just due to the strength needed between the tunnel & bulkhead....I would highly recommend SS rivets.You want zero movement between the two components and to operate as one solid frame when done.....I don't think aluminum will hold up to the force and abuse.

Buy the air riveter from Princess Auto and it save a LOT of time and effort. If you ever have to remove them....they can be drilled with a titanium bit without too much effort.

Just my small opinion......

Top Bottom