resurrecting a 2004 king cat need suggestions on tunnel reinforcement

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So am almost done fixing all the odds and ends to get this rig back on the snow. My question is while standing on the running boards with hood off and tipping it side to side I can see the tunnel/bulkhead move differently than the engine. Slight twist while engine stays stationary. Does anybody recall if there was issues with bulkheads with these or are reinforcements needed? would also like to do like wrp boards on this thing or similar maybe a guy could kill 2 birds with one stone?

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not much I haven't done too a Kingcat, thinking you may want too have a look for cracks or a break somewhere, should not twist lol possible motor mount broken ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2, the chassi were solid on these sleds. I would check for cracks or loose rivet's.
You also need to understand that the motor is mounted far forward and that on its own will stress the bulkhead and tunnel. But no movement should be noticed between the chassi components, tunnel and bulkhead.
These sleds were a brute in the mountain's, awesome deep snow and climbing capabilities, the engine were just a torque monster but technical stuff was a huge chore as it was very flat footed. I had an 04 162.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok thanks guys just went over the motor mounts they seem ok... would like to change earlier statement the motor seems very solid and the major movement/twist is behind the engine in the air box area. will get a second set of eyes on it tomorrow but I did not notice anything out of the norm while removing the bellypan/skid plate

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
ok thanks guys just went over the motor mounts they seem ok... would like to change earlier statement the motor seems very solid and the major movement/twist is behind the engine in the air box area. will get a second set of eyes on it tomorrow but I did not notice anything out of the norm while removing the bellypan/skid plate
Look under the jackshaft where the bearings are, as well as under the motor, behind the motor plate where the cooler is, and by the steering.

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So am almost done fixing all the odds and ends to get this rig back on the snow. My question is while standing on the running boards with hood off and tipping it side to side I can see the tunnel/bulkhead move differently than the engine. Slight twist while engine stays stationary. Does anybody recall if there was issues with bulkheads with these or are reinforcements needed? would also like to do like wrp boards on this thing or similar maybe a guy could kill 2 birds with one stone?

I've got most of a new rear suspension from a 2005 KK titanium if you need parts. No rails or torsion springs, rest is new takeoff.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put 5000 miles on my King Cat. A lot of the rivets along the tunnel loosened up on mine. I replaced loose ones and doubled up any particularly bad areas. It was tough though. I was the bungee king with that thing. Used to wind up and jerk buddies RXton out constantly.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put 5000 miles on my King Cat. A lot of the rivets along the tunnel loosened up on mine. I replaced loose ones and doubled up any particularly bad areas. It was tough though. I was the bungee king with that thing. Used to wind up and jerk buddies RXton out constantly.

we have a winner... lots of rivets under the seat have come loose luckily all easily accessible. Thanks for the help guys.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Found old pictures of my mountain cat.
Download-File

Added third motor mount in the front. Can see the welds are larger then the stock welds on the bulkhead.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think i will add the third mount as well, were you having issues or just preventative? I see there used to be torque link kits I think they called them to limit twist as well. Getting hard to find them now though.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we have a winner... lots of rivets under the seat have come loose luckily all easily accessible. Thanks for the help guys.

I bet the rivets are loose under the gas tank too. It's easy to pull.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think i will add the third mount as well, were you having issues or just preventative? I see there used to be torque link kits I think they called them to limit twist as well. Getting hard to find them now though.

I might have one of them torque links

I will look in the next couple of days

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Bought the sled came with a new spare mount. Sled had a union bay racing engine and twin pipes, torque monster. So I just drilled the spots and put on. Didn't move much after that.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm almost certain I have an SLP pipe kit new in the attic. A blast from past!

Let me know what you are looking for it please. It currently has a slp kit on it air box included but a spare pipe might not be a bad idea... Is it a single or twins? I have the twin kit right now sure hogs up a bunch of real estate under that hood.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Agreed, go with a single, sell the twins lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually these engines are not DOO's. They adapt extremely well to twin pipes. In fact you can easily get into the 165-170hp range and not imaginary hp like a lot others claim.
Use D&D pipes with V-force reed and reed spacer. Simple rejet for your area and clutching. Bang, your running a reliable solid 165++. This was the #1 setup for mountain application on the 900 stocker mountain Cat out of CR-racing.
It worked so well that it would pound any 800 at the time including the HIGHLY over exaggerated and underachiever BRP RT1000.

The biggest issue these engine had was the crank would come loose. Stock you could get mileage but any mods would stress the crank. It would require you to weld the crank, once welded the were pretty much bullet prove reliable.

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I should of explained on my last post, this is if your running the carb. version. If your running the EFI version, then yes you are limited to the single pipe as it doesn't adapt very well to twin pipes.
I had the carb. version and it was also the last carb. sled i ever owned.

Top Bottom