Restaurant chains

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It burns me to tip piss poor service…. Especially in an establishment where the prices are over inflated.

I’d much prefer a low key mom&pop shop and then tip 30% for a good server.
Typically a better meal, and the owner talks with a person, and serves with a smile!

FWIW- there’s a great little lounge type restaurant in south Calgary called FILO’s. Family owned, been there for years, low turn over of staff, try the Filo’s blonde on tap (its a beer, not the server…)

If it is real bad i walk out and dont pay chit. But if the food comes and it is edible i pay 20% tip.

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Screw the big guys , they were the first ones to cave into the bull chit

Mom and pop shops all the way for me

Better home cooked food anyways than pre cooked crap from a warehouse

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

I always try to find the privately owned fancy restaurants. The type where the owner is seating you and asking how your meal was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The small mom and pops in the rural Alberta towns are the ones I like to frequent. We don't get to them as much in the winter now that the boy is done hockey but in the summer on the bikes we tend to a lot. I used to have a thread on here I'd fire up every summer to discuss good little restaurants and pubs. Maybe I'll bring it back to life...

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Red Deer is like the abyss for chains to be crappy. Mr. Mikes, the keg, state and main all pretty blaaa for what they charge. I know the Keg in Edm, & Calgary seems much better than in Red Deer.
Red Deer has the Westlake Grill though

Top Bottom