report your Diamond Drive failure at saferproducts.gov

IGBT

Reaction score
I just reported the premature failure of my Diamond Drive in a 2011 SnoPro M8 153 with less than 300 miles.

I felt this failure could cause an unexpected lockup of the drive/track leading to a serious accident and injury.

If enough of us report this to www.saferproducts.gov, it is possible Arctic Cat might finally be forced to do a recall/repair, or at least acknowledge that they have a known issue with the bearing in this drive.

If I am the only one who cares enough to spend the 2 or 3 minutes filling out an incident report online, then it will probably go nowhere.

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you would ride your sled like a normal person your bearing would last. Most bearing failures are due to rider error!!!! Law suit? How american!

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you would ride your sled like a normal person your bearing would last. Most bearing failures are due to rider error!!!! Law suit? How american!

Seriously??? What do you consider normal?

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just reported the premature failure of my Diamond Drive in a 2011 SnoPro M8 153 with less than 300 miles.

I felt this failure could cause an unexpected lockup of the drive/track leading to a serious accident and injury.

If enough of us report this to www.saferproducts.gov, it is possible Arctic Cat might finally be forced to do a recall/repair, or at least acknowledge that they have a known issue with the bearing in this drive.

If I am the only one who cares enough to spend the 2 or 3 minutes filling out an incident report online, then it will probably go nowhere.

What symptoms are experienced with the DD failing? My 2009 CrossFire seems to not be shifting in snow, hard pack okay but soft loose snow engine is screaming and track just ain't spinning. Well its turning just not as quick as it should be.

leadfoot33

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
defintly not a rider error with the small bearing that fails. i never noticed a symptom until i draned the oil and found all the shavings and such in there.
RXN is your belt slipping? new belt? have you done anything to the sled?

bdietz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the point of reporting this isnt to have a law suit or anything other than the fact that yes the bearings are failing in prob 99% of the DDs but cat just wont do anything about it so if it is reported as a possible safety hazard they will be forced to do something about it instead of the consumer taking the hit

and just to clarify things how can it be driver error that a bearing fails I ride like every other normal Pearson and mine also failed it is obviously not the right bearing for the job

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Really mine failed in 200kms and i was taking it easy to break in a new sled.

Tell me how rider abuse can cause a DD bearing to fail?????

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
defintly not a rider error with the small bearing that fails. i never noticed a symptom until i draned the oil and found all the shavings and such in there.
RXN is your belt slipping? new belt? have you done anything to the sled?

Never done anything. The.sled is 1000 running 800 belts. But that shouldn't make a difference. Sled is going into ASE this weekend, they are going to check my.clutches and alignment as well as deflection, maybe I'll get them to check the DD while its in.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

WRONG! I'm an Arctic Cat guy but.....AC cheaped out on the transfer gear bearing. Put the same one in there as was used by AC in 05/06 and the problem is solved. Has nothing to do with rider error. Has everything to do with AC being cheap!

Last edited:

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Wow, anybody with "Cat" in their name would know about these DD bearings. Good for a laugh though, how American! Lol

koby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finally changed out the bearing to a 3206 IRS last week.
Ours is an 09, but same bearing & spacer as the 11.
Sled has over 1500 miles on it and the original looked perfect.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

thats the dumbest thing i have read on here in a while!!! I hope there was some sarcasm in that statement

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The doo guys get Willie Polaris has lhf I guess this is our " special " cat guy. Lol

IGBT

Reaction score

LOL. I rode my new 2011 sled all of four trips last year, never going more than about 50mph, only riding on groomed trails, put less than 250 miles on it. I opened my DD and it was pooched. You can see pictures in the long DD repair thread on here.

I didn't say law suit...I meant if AC was forced to consider this a problem, they might have to think about fixing it. I fixed my own sled with a upgraded 3203 bearing (what AC *should* have used) and paid for the gasket with my own money even though my sled still had three months warranty left. If I felt like screwing AC I would have taken it to the dealer, made them *fix* it by putting back in another factory crap bearing, then brought it home and do the actual real repair myself. This would have cost AC about $200 or so in dealer labor.

I felt at least they should admit that this is a problem...maybe send out a free gasket and gift certificate for a happy meal to all of us with 2007 to 2011 sleds.

• Thanks
Reactions: win

bdietz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
due to the fact that cat wont upgrade the brg nobody is getting warranty on this so its not showing up as a problem maybe we should be getting it fixed under warranty and then redo it ourselves at least then they would have a record of all the bearing problems
maybe we are just shooting ourselves in the foot
just a thought

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i was provided with an upgraded bearing and my dealer installed under warantee bearing went but dd was intact over 2000km since and no issues i would c if your enetitiled to any warantee on it

Top Bottom