Recommendations on a old school gas tow/daily driver

crooklyn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently I have a 2003 F350 7.3 along with a camper and 1 quad and a 16ft car hauler.
We camp around 5x a year within 100-400km from town.
This spring I'm looking at ditching the camper and getting a 20ft toy hauler and a RZR for the wife. I was hoping to load the atv in the bed of the truck and the rzr in the toy hauler or vise versa.

I know I can pull all this with the 7.3 but I really love the look of old trucks and with the cost of diesel and maintenance I feel that the fuel consumption or gas mileage savings isn't worth it. Plus I have a lot if friends that are gas mechanics ;)

What gas motor and gearing ratio should I be considering for this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

crooklyn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really like the mid to late 70s-80s. Even some early 90s.
Gmc Chevy fords

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my father in law bought a restored 79 ford 3/4 ton a few years back, regular cab long box, 4x4 with a 4 speed manual with I believe a 390 in it. geared low, not sure exactly what though. when he feels nostalgic he pulls his camper with it :rolleyes:. that's about it except for the odd sunday drive. I can say the thing is horrible on fuel and rough to drive/shift. that being said, i'm used to a 2010 dodge so maybe that was smooth for back then, lol.
I think that truck would pull the load you want, but for how far or long is another question.

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the look of those 79s ;)

this one is particularly nice I think, nice and glossy black, a little offset to the rims and 33x12.50 tires, i would get a pic but its in buried in the shop behind every possible thing they could find.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
79 crewcab f250 with a 460 and c6. Gorgeous looking trucks.

jjack

Banned
Reaction score
get a old hiway tractor build a deck on the back pull what ever you want.fright liner parts are cheaper than lite truckparts and you get better mileage

crooklyn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. The 97-98 check is just to new lol.

Anyone on here have an old school tow rig?

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
contact TylerG on this site... he has an older gmc 3/4 ton with the 454 in it, he's selling.... mechanically good, from what I've seen

Last edited:

Big Jon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you put the RZR in the box and then have a trailer hooked up behind, hooking up with the tailgate down, propane tanks hitting the tailgate, and possibly the gate hitting the trailer with sharp turns, may change your mind on that one. ATV in the back, RZR in the trailer. Just my 2 cents. I still like the camper plus trailer idea best for me.

Top Bottom