rcmp at staging area

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddys got nailed at sylvan lake too last week, not sure why but they actually stoped for the crown vic that was cruising the ice right close to shore at night. Nailed the guys for a pile of stuff, not able to produce DL, not able to produce insurance or registration but they are insured and registered, no insurance or reg on one other. Accused one guy of a stolen sled, of course was not. Only one guy had his stuff all aok. Just like in the summer reg insur and dl on hand are a must nowadays or our royal canadian meter maid tax collectors will make you pay.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Having no insurance on your sled is just retarded. IMO.

It only takes one bad situation, and next thing you know you are paying for it for the rest of your life.

Deasoninc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Who actually carries there pink insurance card with them?
I tried in the past but always ends up going to mush from getting wet(even in a bag).
I been carrying mine in the truck.
If I can't produce my card is that the same as no insurance?

I keep mine in a heavy duty (freezer) zip lock. You can even duct tape it under the hood.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Having no insurance on your sled is just retarded. IMO.

It only takes one bad situation, and next thing you know you are paying for it for the rest of your life.

Yup I agree, used to be ok to ride around the farm and neighbors places stop for a beer etc. Not anymore potential for problems is just too high. I remember riding on the blindman at night you would see no one else, now it's a highway.

And on top of it the local mounties did not act like the gestapo of today, the guys that got busted at Sylvan said the cop was a real ahole swearing threatening to throw them in jail you name it, kind of not surprising to see the guy that got kicked in the face on the news or the fella that got roughed up for using a quad to plow his sidewalk, they are on a power trip at the best of times.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Buddys got nailed at sylvan lake too last week, not sure why but they actually stoped for the crown vic that was cruising the ice right close to shore at night. Nailed the guys for a pile of stuff, not able to produce DL, not able to produce insurance or registration but they are insured and registered, no insurance or reg on one other. Accused one guy of a stolen sled, of course was not. Only one guy had his stuff all aok. Just like in the summer reg insur and dl on hand are a must nowadays or our royal canadian meter maid tax collectors will make you pay.

how can they issue a ticket if they don't know who to issue it too?????

should see the look onthier faces when you reply to "whats your name son"

with "Mike Many Numbers"......

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For hiway vehicles, yes...

I registered my sleds last year, without insurance...same as trailers...

Consider yourself Unlucky!! Wouldn't want to be in your shoes if you have an incident. Pay for the rest of your life.. I bet you don't want that!!

Reregistered my 2) sleds and they would not register them unless I produced my insurance. Mandatory in Alberta for motorized vehicles operating on public land. Not trailers.

Get your insurance and then get your registration.. This will save you a trip.

Ryeser

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was stopped at trailseekers yesterday, and had all of my proper documents... but i wanted to ask them a few questions:

1) what if I was not legal? He said that he would make me go home this time, next time I would face charges and the sled would be impounded...

2) can I ride on the road (gravel - range road) - yes, in Parkland County you can, as long as it is not a highway...

3) can I ride the ditches along yellowhead, he said as long as you are with the traffic in day light hours, but he also said there is no enforcement, unless there are complaints from drivers on the highway...

4) I don't have my plate visible, he said he was not concerned as I stopped and had everything with me and showed it to him...

They were extremely informative and it was nice to see no attitude... ;)

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Consider yourself Unlucky!! Wouldn't want to be in your shoes if you have an incident. Pay for the rest of your life.. I bet you don't want that!!

Reregistered my 2) sleds and they would not register them unless I produced my insurance. Mandatory in Alberta for motorized vehicles operating on public land. Not trailers.

Get your insurance and then get your registration.. This will save you a trip.

Perhaps I need to be clearer (or type slower lol) when I post...

I insure AND register my sleds...wouldnt think of doing otherwise. The only point I was making was that it is possible to register a sled in AB without insurance. I have no idea why you would want to do this, but you can, same as you can register a trailer without insurance (I dont do this either, but you can).

That was my only point...

For further reference...I insure and register all my vehicles, on and off road.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
obviously you people don't know the true meaning of friendship. Thanks for the advice you guys were alot of help!

im pretty sure you would have to have both of your names on the insurance ... same idea when you finance a truck your bank is also on the registration

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
one fo these days, they are going to find my stolen sled. New thread every 2nd day here about someone's sleds getting stolen. I hope they eventually catch a few bad guys.

Wouldn't bother me at all if I had to show registration 4-5 times a year if it meant that they recovered most of the stolen sleds.

I'm glad to hear they were out I know they were looking for mine. Stealin a guys sled is like stealin his horse I still think we should hang peeps for it.:realmad:

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok ok riddle me this my roomie has bad credit so I finance him a sled how can he get insurance?

i think anyone can insure anything even if it doesent belong to them, you can ask the insurance company (they like when you give them money), like putting life insurance on someone else...

Oldtrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think anyone can insure anything even if it doesent belong to them, you can ask the insurance company (they like when you give them money), like putting life insurance on someone else...

Wrong!!,
you can insure anything you want, BUT good luck collecting.

You must have an "insurable interest" in the item being insured and you would be listed as a named insured ie: vehicle, house, boat etc.

To insure someone for Life insurance, you can do that in a few differant ways.
As a business, you can insure key personnel, usually the policy is in their name with you listed as a beneficiary, and you/business would be paying the premium.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was stopped at trailseekers yesterday, and had all of my proper documents... but i wanted to ask them a few questions:

They were extremely informative and it was nice to see no attitude... ;)

The officer that you were dealing with was probably thinking the same thing ;)

Top Bottom