Ranger vs Tacoma

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
buddy has a lifted Canyon Denali. it's a nice little truck

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Me thinks ford going to get their arse handed to themselves taking on the Tacoma in that market segment.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ended up getting a Ranger Lariat for my wife. So far we really like it, its very quiet and comfortable. I chose this truck over the Tacoma for a few reasons. The seats were way more comfortable, it was much quieter in the cab at highway speeds and had it had more creature comforts for the nearly the same $$$. The Taco is definitely more off road capable, and geared for that use. And after owning the Ranger for 6 months, it does get better average fuel economy than my friend Taco.

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Toyota buyers overlook almost every other category because it's the "most reliable" which may or not even be true these days.
If I was to be buying a midsize truck I would be getting the Colorado zr2 duramax hands down.

Saskgrizz

Reaction score
After coming back on a flatdeck 2 out of 3 times with buddies canyon I don't think I could really own one. Hope Ranger gives the Tacoma some competition because thats good for all of us.

BAC'S

Reaction score
The Tacoma is a weird niche its definitely outdated compared to its competitors and lacks a lot of features but if you own one you just love it. I passed up a tacoma for 13 F150 Fx4 which had more features and the deal breaker was the seats didnt have any height adjustment but i should have bought the tacoma as i ended up buying one 3 yrs later and love it. after having 10 vehicles in a 11 year span i finally found a truck I wanted to keep. Lots of after market support and look and drive great.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Yah I'm definitely bias, We ran a 4runner for almost 5 years and it was the best all round vehicle I've ever owned. When we upsized the trailer and I wanted a newer truck I didn't even consider anything else other than a Tundra. I looked at the big 3 but always came back to the Tundra & Titan and we have too many Titans in the family already, great truck but I like the look of the Tundra better. If I didn't need the towing capacity I likely would have kept the 4runner or opted for a Tacoma.

My only complaint is the fuel economy, and I'd bet the Tacoma is not great either, the 4runner was not a pig but wasn't anything to write home about.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I bought my first Tundra in 2008 I knew the fuel mileage wasn't good. When I bought my new Tundra last spring I knew the mileage didn't get any better but I still bought it. I think its a good product and that gives me a piece of mind. Our 2004 camry has never needed a major repair and now has 312000 kms on it.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
But back to the ranger.... I know of some folks who were very excited to see this re-released.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
I’m on my 4th taco. First on got wrote off by a bus at 330000. Second one is still going strong as a bush truck with well over 450000. My third was an 05 and got the frame replacement done at 290000 for free. Sold it for 12,500. New one is a 17 and has 65000 on it now. Never had to do any major repairs on any of them but the 05. Toyota has always treated me real good. I do have a 16 f-350 with the diesel for pulling though. That’s the only thing the taco lacks for me. If Toyota ever makes a 1 tone diesel then that’s what I will have.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sort of off topic but I can say was pleasantly surprised the resale value on the wife’s 2017 tundra I sold to a wholesaler when replacing for a 19 last fall compared to f150s and a recent Ram 1500.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Sort of off topic but I can say was pleasantly surprised the resale value on the wife’s 2017 tundra I sold to a wholesaler when replacing for a 19 last fall compared to f150s and a recent Ram 1500.

I had to shop for a LONG time to find a low km (under 160km) Tundra that wasn't beat to chit for under $25k - Guys are still getting $25K for low km 2008's

And even then the one I found I bought online and had it shipped up from southern AB

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This ranger is new, so hard to say how it will hold up? But from current standings, I would take the Toyota over the Ranger. I now work for a company who's fleet is approx 20 Toyota's, mostly tunda, but a coule of taco's. Great work trucks, Good power and ride, frickin horrible on gas. The company buys them brand new and keep until they crater around 650,000K. But like stated, nothing really major goes for the first 350,000

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Toyota builds nice products for sure, but their trucks are overpriced, short on option and cab configuration choices and are harder on fuel than the big three. The Tacoma gets about the same fuel economy as a half ton ford or GM.
if you only need a light duty truck, IMHO the better choice would be the ranger. Cheaper to buy, better on fuel, and according to most of the reviews online is quieter and rides better. The only advantage to the Toyota will be resale value, they do hold value well. I think that the days of Toyota being much more reliable are gone. Most domestic trucks are pretty bulletproof now too.

Top Bottom