• on 4th motor

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • on 5th motor

Votes: 12 11.0%

• Total voters

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this up Maxwell, I do wonder how many responses are from folks trying to dump on Polaris though. I own 2 with no issues, can I vote twice?

Trench:d

I've owned 4 Dragons, and 1 2011 Assault with not one issue on any of them, can I have 5 votes?

Shitfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
had the top-end recall done (no issues prior/since other than one time having having the mid-throttle bog during break-in) seems to be running strong, over 1300miles. thinking the tps needs to be recalibrated tho, has attitude idleing after it's warmed up. Other than that, love the sled, '09 800D w/155. Always run non-ethanol fuel&wiries.

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
The '09 Dragon has 600 miles with updates done. Takes me along time to rack up miles because winter is my busy time. The '08 RMK 600 was bought used and we have a day worth of riding on it. Previous owners are Polaris riders also without any issuses. The mileage on this sled is 1200. Awsome little machine. When not in use they are tarped and in the garage. Some say I baby my toys, but hey....I worked dam hard to buy them :d

I think there are many contributing factors with all the motors burning down. Right from falty parts, workmanship, and driving down the highway with an uncovered sled at -30 filling the engine with salt dust and frost. Alot of dealers go out of their way to satisfy the faithful following that they have. But unfortunately a line must be drawn sometime. That's business :rolleyes: My :twocents:

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 220

Sledtillded

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a 09 D8 163 was bought new in the crate at the beginning of 2010 season. Had 2010 updade done before i got to ride it. She has 650 miles on it and has been dead strong from the first pull of the rope. I ride with a M1000 and it more than holds its own. No mid range bog.......no issues been reall happy with my purchase. i am running premix with a MBRP can and switched out the V reg jsut to be on the safe side. put me down as one of the happy Dragon owners !

polaris800rmk

Reaction score
I have two 2003/800/151,I replaced the pistons and rings and one jug on my Wifes sled and I think mine just quit. I am hoping not but we will see. My Wifes had about 2000-2050 miles and now mine at about 2250 miles.Is it newer models having trouble or all 800's.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 03 's will more likely have a crank problem than the most common issue that seemed to plaque the 08 and 09 800 I believe.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im just wondering if there is actually ten people with 5+ engines..or if other people are voting.

i plan to make something more acurate in the future for all brands

CATPRIDE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That could lead to survey though.......5 questions......what sled you ride to start and then the polls.......that way it will be more accurate......food for thought

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im just wondering if there is actually ten people with 5+ engines..or if other people are voting.

i plan to make something more acurate in the future for all brands

Seems to be alot of hate for the Polaris brand, I must be in the minority as I have had good luck with them.

Trench

Hammer800

Reaction score
2010 RMK 800 155. 400 miles. No issues or midrange bog. Before this i ran a preowned 2003 800 vertical edge that i bought with 1700 + miles on it. Pretty sure the speedometer must have been unhooked at some point. Replaced 2 pistons after first ride from cold sieze. Then 5 miles into next ride the crank broke:mad:. Replaced crank and piston on PTO side as some crap from the broken crank made it up top and took out the pto side piston. Looked like it had a lot more than 1700 miles on it when i tore it right down. Clutch was also in need of rebuild which probably also contributed to broken crank.
After rebuild it ran strong until I sold it to buy this new one.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There needs to be an option...that I don't own a polaris so we can at least watch the results of this poll.

x2 - i want to see the results of your poll, but don't want to skew the numbers.... may just have to hit the '5 engines blown', hopefully people don't believe that response.

FatGuy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The CN shack along the tracks by Allen creek.
I am one of the guys who voted for motor four.
But in all honestly my sled was a 05 switchback 800.

Alsolutly loved that sled until the issues started.

First motor was the stock one rode it till 1500 miles then the crank bearing let go thus shearing off the primary. No worries I thought it's on warranty I will get a fresh motor.

Then I get the machine back break in the motor around the house and take it up to whitecourt. Go to take a pull up a hill and bang the clutch blows right thru the side of the belly pan. Holy crap it was loud. Lol
So there goes the second motor.

So once again back at Polaris getting a fresh motor again. This time they say it's a faulty crank they put in. Ok whatever fix it.

So now I am on the third motor sled runs great for a month straight and go up to golden for a trip. Make it halfway up the trail and kabang motor packs it in. WTF!! Now Iam choked, I call the dealer from the staging aera and freak out on the poor guy. He says sorry just get it back to us.
So no sled to rent I decide to make the best of a four day sled trip and go to kal tire and buy a tire tube off a old skidder and had fun for the remainder of the trip. Tubing in Gorman is the scariest thing I have ever done. Lol

So get it fixed again and this time again they say faulty crank..

Now buy this time I took such a bashing from my riding buddies bugging me about how much shop time the sled is got that I got fed up dumped the machine and switched to doo.

Now don't get me wrong I have had issues with my xp but 3500 miles later I still running the same motor.

But I will say I loved the Polaris for it's snappy throttle response,smooth power and it's easy to tinker with platform. But that was the worst sled season I had ever had and it left a bad taste in my mouth.
I haven't totally abandoned Polaris I still ditch bang a old Indy 500.

But that is how easy it was to go thru four motors. All I can say is thank god for warranty and the cornerstone extended warranty I had bought. They coverd everything I didn't pay a single penny. But missed on alot of riding.

Thanks for reading my little story.

Fatguy.

Last edited:

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
x2 - i want to see the results of your poll, but don't want to skew the numbers.... may just have to hit the '5 engines blown', hopefully people don't believe that response.

Underneath the poll options, to the right, there is a "View Poll Results" link. Click that, and you don't have to vote to see the current results.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
I think there are many contributing factors with all the motors burning down. Right from falty parts, workmanship, and driving down the highway with an uncovered sled at -30 filling the engine with salt dust and frost. Alot of dealers go out of their way to satisfy the faithful following that they have. But unfortunately a line must be drawn sometime. That's business :rolleyes: My :twocents:

i have to ask some questions on this post.....i'm not a mechanical genius here but is this really a contributing factor, or factors to this thread......more than just polaris are pulled down the road on trailers and in trucks uncovered...and..snow dust at -30 being towed....really??? really??? more snow dust then a sled buried bar deep in powder WFO on its side? just sayin......the salt i will give a maybe too, but also have to wonder the validity of that when many of us ride ditches on a very regular basis which i'm sure injests more chit than on a trailer and also with the engine itself is not taking in any air due to not being running while towed...corrosion maybe, abuse to the plastic maybe.....

i dunno i may be wrong but a little sceptical on this

pounder

Reaction score
Good luck, you might have another 200 miles before it blows. Sorry, but if you get more than 1000 consider yourself one of the lucky ones.

Top Bottom