Polaris 500 Sportsman

redneckladee

Reaction score
I have a Polaris 500 2006 Sportsman. Ran it for first time last year, got a few 'bugs' out. Then this year, first ride out, my plastic fenders melted!!
With some checking, it seems to happen a lot and a bit of a design flaw. The older models have a better design etc. A 'heat kit' has been mentioned to me but none of my repair shops have ever heard of such a thing. I wrapped the portion of the pipe that has no protection (dumb) with hedder tape and taped the fenders back on as they dont fit right any more due to melting.
My repair shop has told me that the Polaris is on the bottom of the list as the worst machine to work on and most problems. I am not a happy quadder.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had 6 or 7 Polaris quads over the last 15 years. Never had one melt plastic.

Is the exhaust plugged at all.
Spark arrestor ok. Must be running too hot.

Kelzon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2008 Polaris Sportsman 800..... and no problem with the heat or any thing else ! As far as the worst machine to work on..... "Find A New Shop"

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That happened with my 06 800 exhaust melted plastic on right side. Called the 1800 and they sent out a heat shield kit and bada bing no more melting. It was a quiet recall on the 06 800s don't know bout the 500s but you could just call and try.

whitegold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Top Bottom