Piston wash / plugs

chrispy

Reaction score
I also noticed when I went to the 470's i was pulling 200 rpm less on the hill and even on the trail and a few times on a really long pull down 400 - 500 rpm less. This was different from two weeks earlier with the 480's and same hill ws pulling strong all day. Temp was colder the second time out -15 compared to -5. Didn't bog or run out of fuel while climbing. Could the lower rpm be due to the jet change?
The snow was alot deeper second time out so i thought it was the conditions but it did the same thing on the trail down.

davelaw1982

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good point on the carbs. these are TM flat slides and usually don't require syncronization that often as they use a cam style adjuster, but i will check this out.

thanks

Once you have got them set, they are good, unless you adjust you throttle cable. Also with any throttle cable adjustment, you need to be checking you oil pump cable adjustment. Its pretty easy and explained in the shop manual... if you have that.... Simple explanation is to find the oil pump cable, and there will be a nut and rubber cover halfway through the cable, pull the rubber part up the cable, remove any throttle free play at throttle, pull on both ends of the cable, and you should have a specified distance between the crimped end and the adjusting end. For the 07 800R it is 0.650" I believe, not sure what the XP is.... Anyone have this spec?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Once you have got them set, they are good, unless you adjust you throttle cable. Also with any throttle cable adjustment, you need to be checking you oil pump cable adjustment. Its pretty easy and explained in the shop manual... if you have that.... Simple explanation is to find the oil pump cable, and there will be a nut and rubber cover halfway through the cable, pull the rubber part up the cable, remove any throttle free play at throttle, pull on both ends of the cable, and you should have a specified distance between the crimped end and the adjusting end. For the 07 800R it is 0.650" I believe, not sure what the XP is.... Anyone have this spec?

I think they all have alignment marks on the arm and the case that need to be aligned at static idle, from their its a linear relationship? Maybe the new models don't have the alignment marks?

chrispy

Reaction score
Has anybody noticed if they are pulling lease rpm when u drop a jet size. Am I losing a bit of power or something that i dropped 200 rpm?

davelaw1982

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think they all have alignment marks on the arm and the case that need to be aligned at static idle, from their its a linear relationship? Maybe the new models don't have the alignment marks?

When I had my engine out, that is what I was looking for, didn't find any, but I had found this information in the shop manual for my sled. Maybe mine were there, and I just missed them. I know BRP sells a tool that is machined out to the proper measurement for this, but a dial caliper works just as well.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anybody noticed if they are pulling lease rpm when u drop a jet size. Am I losing a bit of power or something that i dropped 200 rpm?

you should be pulling more RPM.

PS - thanks davelaw

Top Bottom