pipes vs reliability

codey.bukkos

Reaction score
I have a 99 summitt x 670
Its being rebuilt right now and I ordered a set of CPI twin pipes for it
just wondering if the performance gain is worth the possible reliability factor over the stock pipe
Is it worth it or not?

codey.bukkos

Reaction score
What jetting worked best for your sled with these pipes
I mainly ride around town with a few trips to the mountains planned
hopefully I dont have to mess with it to much

codey.bukkos

Reaction score
Sorry to bother you again
We installed the pipes tonight however in their instructions it says to move up to 440 and 430 for 4-6000 and 430 and 420 for 6-8000

Isnt stock jetting 350a and 340

I thought the DPM should compensate for ellevation
Guy that installed them thinks we should put in 440 and 430 for all around riding but that seems very rich
you said you only went up one size
350 and 360?
and that works anywhere from 1-8000 with your sled
We didnt gut the airbox like they said either as I thought that would effect the DPM

Confused??????

Thanks
Codey

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Sorry to bother you again
We installed the pipes tonight however in their instructions it says to move up to 440 and 430 for 4-6000 and 430 and 420 for 6-8000

Isnt stock jetting 350a and 340

I thought the DPM should compensate for ellevation
Guy that installed them thinks we should put in 440 and 430 for all around riding but that seems very rich
you said you only went up one size
350 and 360?
and that works anywhere from 1-8000 with your sled
We didnt gut the airbox like they said either as I thought that would effect the DPM

Confused??????

Thanks
Codey

I DID GUT THE AIR BOX, AND MINE IS PORTED AND POLISHED(BROKE THE CRANK LAST YEAR, SO THE ENGINE IS BEING REPAIRED), AND I HAVE UFO'S, AND THE PIPES.... I DID RUN THE 440,430 MAIN AND ALSO CHANGED THE NEEDLES JETS, AND DRILLED THE IDLE JETS ETC. BUT I DID SWITCH BACK TO 350 & 360 AND SEEMED TO RUN MUCH BETTER..... I BELIEVE THEY GOOFED AND GAVE THE SPECS FOR A '98 WHICH HAS THE SMALLER THROTTLE BORE, BUT BIGGER JETS. I FOUND THE BIGGER JETS SEEMED TO BOG. START WITH THE SMALLER JETS OR SOMETHING IN BETWEEN AND CHECK THE PLUGS VERY FREQUENTLY AND SEE WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE. LET ME KNOW...... I'M GOING TO BE DETUNING MY 670X FOR THE KIDS THIS YEAR WHEN I GET MY ENGINE BACK AND I FOUND STOCK CARBS TO INSTALL, AND I'LL BE PUTTING THE 350/360 BACK IN AND HAVE TO RECHECK

codey.bukkos

Reaction score
Thanks
i will let you know how it pans out
I figure Ill start with the bigger jets and move down
As for my other question though
If I jet it so shes running perfect around here 2000 and looking brown on the plugs
will the DPM compensate for all other levels of riding rather than having to change the jets all the time
As well if mines not ported than do you think I need to gut the air box or just leave it as is or will it make a big difference in performance

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Gutting The Airbox Is Easy... It Is Two Pieces And The Plate To Cut Apart Is Between The Two Halves... Well Worth The Time, As You Really Can See The Restriction In The 2 Holes Inside The Airbox. That With The Cpi Pipes Is Supposed To Be Good For Almost 20hp.... Thats Huge!!!!

codey.bukkos

Reaction score
Well we ended up gutting the air box and running the 440,430 jets
Seems to pull realy hard like this and plugs are looking good so far
only problem is everytime we try and hook the dpm back up it kills the led immediately?
not sure whats going on
CDI maybe
shes set to run good for now though
i guess if we go to the mountains its supposed to be jetted with these jet sizes as well so it should run ok up high to I would think
Seems funny that those jets work good at 2000 without the dpm and are supposed to run those jets up high as well

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom