PIGEON LAKE Alberta.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nice!!!!

Is there a lot of loon chit and leaches there?
When I lived lake front at Sandy Beach ( NW of Edm ) the spring was BAD.... and chest waiters were a must!!!

• Admin

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Nice!!!!

Is there a lot of loon chit and leaches there?
When I lived lake front at Sandy Beach ( NW of Edm ) the spring was BAD.... and chest waiters were a must!!!

Not bad at all, we do have "Killer Algae" that ends waterspouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Spring and fall bloom, always sucks...... Have a good weekend at the lake, Curtis

• Admin

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Just took the wifey for a walk to show off the new dock I'm so proud of and WHAT....some of it's missing.
Neighbor tells me we had 2.5' waves Wed and Thur.
My fault, part of dock was too low. Knocked out 3 alum panels which were right there and 2 prices of old dock floated away.
Bad Luck is still luck I guess.

rider4life

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That sucks about the dock, luckily mine is ok, but I have to raise it tomorrow, the one fork is almost under water

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
That sucks about the dock, luckily mine is ok, but I have to raise it tomorrow, the one fork is almost under water

We had 6 that I know of damaged or destroyed at Norris Beach. We were building the new lift today and another storm came in. 1.5 foot waves and the peeps helping were amazed at how it hit docks.
Rule here is 18" above water....I failed....lol
The new dock is fine, found missing panels so it's all good.
The wood dock, well I may be rebuilding it....lol

rider4life

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
. Like I said def need to raise it! That's the beautiful thing about being on the NW side, we get protected from most of the storms and waves

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Need some advice from Cement Guru's.
Poured basement over 10 years ago but didn't put in floor cause we were waiting to see what happened with the "possible" sewer system. Still no sewer....lol
So over the years we had some flooding after gravel base was poured (failed sump pumps) so the base is pretty solid...well so we thought.
1. While tamping it we started to draw water out of the gravel.
A. Is that normal?
B. is it a problem if we put poly/cement on it?
2. We have a section along one wall (6'x2') that is spongy when you step on it. Can't tamp it solid. We've had fans on it for 1.5 weeks bit I have little faith in it drying. It's located around the area where we brought in the well water line under the foundation right next to the footings. .
••• Questions ••••
A. Is that normal?
B. Is it going to be a problem?
C. What is the solution?

Last edited:

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Need some advice from Cement Guru's.
Poured basement over 10 years ago but didn't put in floor cause we were waiting to see what happened with the "possible" sewer system. Still no sewer....lol
So over the years we had some flooding after gravel base was poured (failed sump pumps) so the base is pretty solid...well so we thought.
1. While tamping it we started to draw water out of the gravel.
A. Is that normal?
B. is it a problem if we put poly/cement on it?
2. We have a section along one wall (6'x2') that is spongy when you step on it. Can't tamp it solid. We've had fans on it for 1.5 weeks bit I have little faith in it drying. It's located around the area where we brought in the well water line under the foundation right next to the footings. .
••• Questions ••••
A. Is that normal?
B. Is it going to be a problem?
C. What is the solution?

Your spongy groung may be a problem due to your water table. I would suggest digging a hole about 2' deep and about 10" wide with a spade. If t fills up within a day there may not be a good cure to the spongy ground but wheeping tile aroun the outside of your foundation at 12-16" below your slab hieght will help the most to lower water level.
How much higher that the lake level is the bottom of your basement? You could be pumping for a while.
Hydraulic ground pressure from a high water table can heave your slab after concrete is poured.

If water table not the issue scarify/open the surface of dirt and keep the fans on with heat from the furnace, trick is to push air through the house with fans pushing air in and out using the basement windows. Just circulating the air will not do much. Get rid of the spongy spots before you pour any concrete!

I don't do a lot of housing but ground conditions are the same to deal with.
I would suggest calling an expert for an on site opnion.

Or if desperate call me, Im free but can pound back quite a few during inspections.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also you can use pulverized hydrated lime to dry out soil.
Pick up a bag and mix it in with soil.
Don't get it in you as moisture activates it.
Will burn the **** out of any areas that it contacts skin with water .
Painter suit and goggles till it's mixed in.
We us it on roads to dry them out.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Spent part of the day at cabin installing new furnace to keep the basement warm (cabin is not winterized). Was missing a couple of vents so had to go back. Roads Saturday evening were unbelievably slippery. Took us over 2 hours to get home, normally takes less than an hour.

Sent from my Phone while sitting on the side of the road.....maybe.

Top Bottom