OK - Electric Start on a RMK Pro 800....YES OR NO

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your choice, here's my reasons to not put ES.

I wouldn't spend the money to add that large amount of weight (15-20lbs is pretty significant in my view), worry about battery life/replacement, the work to install, losing room in the engine bay... I had electric start on my 800r carb XP and I loved it after I rolled it over to get unstuck! Not gonna buy it for my fuel injected, easy to start Pro RMK! In my view buy electric start if you have any of the following: you're old, half a bad shoulder, lazy, have money to burn or you're used to your trail/touring sled that has electric start.

As far as resale value put 2 identical sleds side by side, one with ES and one without. Pretty sure the sled without ES will sell quicker (aka get more money out of it) as they can ask less money since they didn't spend the $500 or so bucks for ES.
Sorry if I offended anyone!!! :cool: Just my opinion! Good luck with your choice.

• Recommends
Reactions: cs5

400hp

Reaction score
let us know what you do after reading all these funny posts!! "i dont try anything, i just do it!!"

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Opinions are like a holes everyone has one.I had e start on my 09 D800,loved it and never once started it with the rope.I bought my wife an 09 RMK700 with e start.Ordered my snowcheck pro with e start,I absolutly love it.Yeah I am old [51] and have money but I only weigh 175lbs soaking wet so I don't notice the weight .BTW the new pro has a smaller lighter battery than the IQ sleds.Nothing like firing up your sled when it buried PS down into a tree well

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Opinions are like a holes everyone has one.I had e start on my 09 D800,loved it and never once started it with the rope.I bought my wife an 09 RMK700 with e start.Ordered my snowcheck pro with e start,I absolutly love it.Yeah I am old [51] and have money but I only weigh 175lbs soaking wet so I don't notice the weight .BTW the new pro has a smaller lighter battery than the IQ sleds.Nothing like firing up your sled when it buried PS down into a tree well

If he didn't want opinions he should not have asked the question lol. I 6'4" 240lbs so you are still way lighter even with your estart :) but I can start my machine in any position with half a pull. If you need one just put it on and don't ask us :rolleyes:

DYSLEXIC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well - I passed on the e-start.....haha....great thread.....I'm putting that 500 bucks towards better Avalanche equipment.......thanks for the hilarious comments!!! Pick up the sled this weekend......

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well - I passed on the e-start.....haha....great thread.....I'm putting that 500 bucks towards better Avalanche equipment.......thanks for the hilarious comments!!! Pick up the sled this weekend......

Well no consensus on e-start here (no surprise), but I think we can all agree that was money well spent. Congrats on the new sled.:beer:

On a side note, I chose not to have e-start on mine.:cool:

skierh2o

Reaction score
Carbed sled.......OH yeah...lotsa save energy using e-start!
EFI not really required but still nice to have.

As for the weight...lol.....it doesn't matter. My rear end still trenches in first even though the e-start weights up front!!!! hahaha

pehmanndragon

Reaction score
First of all the Bronco stickers up'd the resale valve....haha and the e-start is probably the cats ass but I would just rather spend the money elsewhere. 002.jpg

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i originally thought my new sled was pull start but polaris shipped them e start so not waiting for another shipment ....ill take the e start for the first time and see how i like it

polar sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK so what, I have electric start this is how i figured to put it on
sled weights in empty at 431 approx i am 225 , starter is 15 lbs approx = 671
If i quit drinking beer for a couple days switch to white liquor , and no donuts i can lose the 15 lbs that that starter weights for sledding Then the weight is the same
I would much rather have more ways of starting my sled after crashing or rolling, as you know how much it takes out of you to get things going , just my 2 cents

Reaction score
i got the e start on mine just cause i had money to blow, prob wouldnt have if I was broke. I dont think 15 or whatever pounds makes a dif to me. Put a jaws can on as well, that lost a couple pounds. Even with the e start my sled is still lighter than my bros summit hands down.

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How many peeps Can really notice an extra 15 to 20 lb who rides better at the end of the day when most your gas is burnt?
just my 2 cents

alberta73

Reaction score
I bought a snow checked model that someone elses passed on so had e start in it, I was actually a bit upset - didnt want the weight and who needs e start on an efi sled. They wouldn't give me any money for it and implied it may cost me to take it off so I left it on. Im 38 and faily fit, not heavy.... and I love the e start. I have e start on my ktm dirt bikes and found it very handy in certain situations, the sled has prooved to be similar - 90% of the time it doesnt make much difference but when you do need it you're glad it's there. It sure doesn't look like 15lbs worth of stuff under there. I'm sure they make light weight lithium batteries for it too but it's central location doesn't really change anything. My buddy has the exact sled w/o e start and I can't tell. Now would I order it that way for an extra 500? Probably, ask me next spring.

lager99

Reaction score
You just did a huge pull in a narrow chute but dont quite make it, none of your buddies are comin up to help you turn it around. After rollin your sled a few times and a little digging you are pretty much faceing down hill and a little brap on the throttle will straighten you right out BUUUTTTTT your pull start is on the down hill side of the sled and if you as much as fart in that direction you are gonna yard sale your machine down the hill.......I've been in this situation many times and e start would have been nice!!!
I concur...

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would much rather have more ways of starting my sled after crashing or rolling, as you know how much it takes out of you to get things going , just my 2 cents

EFI can be upside down for an hour and will start in one pull maybe two, this comment was very true on a sled with carbs but doesn't really apply on a Pro RMK.

Top Bottom