nitrous and clutching

green momba

Reaction score
I am curious on how to clutch for nitrous. can you clutch for when you are on the bottle and off or do you have to pick one or the other. I hope this question
makes sense:confused:

Dr. Meatman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you have to pick one....but really all the nitrous is doing is helping to maintain trackspeed going up long pulls and getting you out of tight spots, not really building trackspeed.... that is unless you are drag racing. If you plan on using it a lot then i would go with a little stiffer primary....and extra rings and pistons...spare cylinder wouldnt hurt either.

another scenario is using a progressive nitrous controller that adds and takes away nitrous through a TPS. I've heard good things about those. then you would want to clutch it while on the bottle.

Dr. Meatman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
holds your RPMs up and helps maintain trackspeed. you can clutch for nitrous if you want but your only gonna be on the bottle during pulls when your clutches are already under heavy load....and you shouldnt really hold it longer than 3-5 seconds at a time to be on the safe side

green momba

Reaction score
so if you don't clutch for nitrous then what is the advantage if your not on the bottle all day

Dr. Meatman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you clutch for nitrous then your not clutched for what you are going to normally run. different weights/maybe springs what have you. You sled clutched for nitrous may not run as hard as you want it to unelss you are on the juice. clutching is what gets the horsepower to the track and if you are clutching for horsepower that is not going to be there unless you are on the button then you are going to be lagging a bit maybe and burning belts because your clutch is going to be working harder.

lets put it this way....if i take my sled and clutch it for hillclimbing then its going to be a PITA boondocking. I like a higher engagement more of a backshift than i do for boondocking. and vice versa. I don't want a very high engagement for boondocking i look for more of a gradual climb that way i dont burn up my belts.

why do you want to clutch for something thats only going to be present when you hit the button?

green momba

Reaction score
I understand what you are saying. just if you are clutched so you don't loose rpm's on a pull and hit the button you are not doing anything but maybe slipping your belt right or wrong. that's what I ment to ask

W

woodies

double what meat said !its a fail safe you are on it in short bursts.you use it to get your self up and over bad spots normally!i run a 40 hp shot and wished for 100 hp some time but it makes a difference! don't over use or boom!keep the fuel rich!i went turbo on my sled and nos on the backup this year!

Dr. Meatman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nope you dont slip your belt you gain RPMs..during a long pull the your RPM drops ever so slightly the higher you go up....nitrous helps battle this because its an oxidizer and helps out in a lesser oxygenated atmosphere. Its not a huge burst of speed like they have in cars or motorcycles in dragracing....completely different application. I konw a guy with a tricut helix that does everything he wants it to do and hardly ever uses his nitrous. My question to you is what kind of kit do you want, for what kind of sled, for what sort of application, and how experienced are you with clutching?

climbin

Reaction score
Mamba. I've run a lot of nitrous over that last few years and agree with Meatman. You clutch your sled for engine only so it's right the majority of the time. When you hit the button your sled simply picks up a few hundred rpm and maybe 5-10 mph track speed depending on the size of shot. As for the belt slippage, the extra rpm actually puts more of a squeeze on it.

M7Plus

Reaction score
I run nitrous on my machine and never clutched for the bottle, clutched for just motor to the tee. and when on the button i have never "over-reved" it just holds you at your optimum RPM. like already said above dont be a bottle junkie, use it when you need it to get you out of that HOLY F*%k spot. I ran out last year near the end of the day (being at bottle junkie) and i was in a bowl that took me about 1.5 hours to get out of without the button, IT SUCKED! use it dont abuse it!

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Good advise.

I run nitrous on my machine and never clutched for the bottle, clutched for just motor to the tee. and when on the button i have never "over-reved" it just holds you at your optimum RPM. like already said above dont be a bottle junkie, use it when you need it to get you out of that HOLY F*%k spot. I ran out last year near the end of the day (being at bottle junkie) and i was in a bowl that took me about 1.5 hours to get out of without the button, IT SUCKED! use it dont abuse it!

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Copy That...There is some great info on this thread, I to am guilty of being a Nos Junkie at times. When on the button it only gives me 400-500rpm increase doesn't sound like a lot but like said before it sure helps you get out of tight situations. Nos is as fun as kicking cats down a well! Just remember to save some for the way back to the cabin.:d

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
When your climbing the those watching will hear an increase in the RPM's but can't really tell if it's making much difference. A few weeks ago while Grass Dragging I hit the button about 1/2 way down the track...everyone could see the difference. Yep...NOS is addictive.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol yeah...im gona be lookin at throwin another bottle in my backpackk...

unless what do you guys think of mounting an extra bottle to the belt guard?!?!

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
That is a fair bit of extra weight to be on your back...belt cover might work but I'd look for someplace that is more stable...my only mounted on a custom bracket over the chaincase (due to the pipes).
lol yeah...im gona be lookin at throwin another bottle in my backpackk...

unless what do you guys think of mounting an extra bottle to the belt guard?!?!

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How about under your seat, there's an option for you. If you sled is a ZX like in your avatar, you have room if you were to consider a aftermarket seat, and the bottle would stay relatively warm. You could hollow out the seat in the trunk well also.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Me thinks that might be the way to go Neil?
How about under your seat, there's an option for you. If you sled is a ZX like in your avatar, you have room if you were to consider a aftermarket seat, and the bottle would stay relatively warm. You could hollow out the seat in the trunk well also.

Top Bottom