Tadpole

Reaction score
Hey guys/gals just bought my first sled. Wondering what everyone carries for emergency or mechanical problems.
Shovel, beacon, extra plugs? Tools? Tow rope?
Thx

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All of the above and much more. Look into a radio so you can communicate with you group, probe, fire starter, knife, emergency blankets, h20, food, spot or inreach are popular , first aid kit just to name a few must haves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Welcome to snow and mud

Cars0n`

Reaction score
Good radio and gps... and know how to use them.
More tools than the factory tool kit. There are some nifty compact kits out there with just the tools you need and not all the added extra bulk of ones you don't. Research it or go through your sled and see what you would need for common repairs.
Spare belt, plugs, dry gloves, goggles and socks, waterproof fire starter (know how to use this too, waterproof matches or flint can be a real pain to start fire with, was even hard to get going on my bench in the garage), good first aid kit (packed mine with extra goodies) keep in ziploc bag or two to keep water out.
Folding Saw for the stubborn trees you get stuck on, good rope in a decent length to tow out a sled if needed (doubled up)
Knife, hand warmer packs, hat
Tunnel mount Jerry can
Food and water for the day

Also everything in my avy pack. Shovel, probe, beacon (this is a must and also knowing how to properly use it as well. Take the course. Useless to carry if you can't use it)
Led head lamp and extra batteries.
Goggle defogger(cat crap) - works good!

I'm sure there is more that I take but I'd have to look through the sled. Fit all this between the small windshield bag, large riser bag, small tunnel bag and a dry bag I put under the hood to keep warm, 09 summit xp

Another tip is to organize your backpack and sled so that your immediate necessities are with you in your pack, and everything that would make life more comfortable on your sled in case you get seperated from the sled.

Last edited:

Tadpole

Reaction score
Wow!! Thx for the welcome and info. All the basics and then some, great!! Is there a few different avalanche courses? Or one basic course that covers everything?

AxysAssault

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
AST1 is a must.

I have a plastic water proof ammo box that fits in my tunnel bag. I keep all my tools, tape, rope and an extra extra pair of gloves. Keeps things from flying around. I also carry a tow strap with shackles, paracord, big ty-raps, electrical tape, duct tape etc etc.

When you are fixing or modding, try and use the tools you would have with you. That way you know what you need!

I also have an extra shovel strapped into my tunnel bag for stucks.

In my pack, I have 1-2days worth of survival gear, plus avy rescue equipment, and inreach GPS.

Geez It is bloody expensive to get up and running out here but there are zero regrets!!!

PolarisHighlifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i Used Zac's Tracs for my Avy coarse took the full coarse rescue, classroom & field which I'm doing next month. Great people looking forward to the field session

AGGRESIVEZEBRA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
within reason this is the list i used from zacs tracs. seems like a ton but really isnt all that bad.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my list would be similar to what carson listed above,more food and drink than 1 days worth for emergency,i use cotton balls packed in vaseline as a fire starter and store them in a ziplock bag.duck tape for sled repair and first aid also. along with 2way radio i recomend inreach for emergency purpose,no cell service so dont even pack it.more items if i thought about it.

Tadpole

Reaction score
Thx everyone for the replies. I carry alot of the same tool supplies when riding my dirtbike in remote areas. So I'm going to modify my kit to suit my sled. And I've found the Zacs website and going to sign up for their course soon.
Does everyone buy their gear from dealers? $$$ pricey. Or do you pick and choose components from different vendors. I am talking about gloves, pants, jacket etc any recommendations on brand? Is klim decent in the sled world?

Last edited:

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Klim has a good name, lots swear by it! I just bought a lochsa onsie, haven't tried it yet, but I loved my FXR maverick I had last!
I wouldn't go back to bibs and coat after my onsie!

Cars0n`

Reaction score
i use cotton balls packed in vaseline as a fire starter and store them in a ziplock bag.

That's a good one I forgot. Tried them out last year and they work awesome.

As for gear I got my klim 2 piece for a good deal a couple years ago, previous year model stuff clear out sale. Lot of my riding buddies are going with onesies and love them. I pick and choose and browse online for a lot of it.

Got the avy bag at sport check for a great deal on Boxing Day sale. It's a bca float system in a snowboarding branded bag. Great quality basically a bca float bag in a different colour and rebranded.

Top Bottom