Need Sugestions for 2008 xp 800 Mods

jaxondean

Reaction score
Though I have been around sleds all my life, I have never rode anything but stock sleds. Im looking for sugestions as to what I should do to my 2008 xp 800 - 163. Came with MBRP can when i bought it used. Has only 200 miles and I dont want to sacrifice ridability on the flat land ( though almost all of my riding is in the mountains). Thinking Nitrous, but I would love to hear what brands guys think I should go with. Any other sugestions too would be great.

CATPRIDE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would suggest a turbo. If you are Jet savy, look at a Aerocharger Turbo. Adds 80hp and its pull and go. PM me and I can get you started.

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Save your money cause you'll need it for belts! :D Most guys will probably say clutching and gearing would be the first thing to tackle.

HagmanMod1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would sugjest some clutching and gearing then a 2.5 3pitch track maby a big bore depends on how much you want to spend if you to to be fairly stock the track would be the best mod for your $

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
DJ clutch kit sure helped my bro's 163. Still on first belt. Also did Motts head and Vforce but have not tried it yet.

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1. Vent Kit - Mountian Magic has one for $100 that is a 5 vent kit. Clutch temps will come way down and you will not go through near as many belts.
2. Ice Scratchers - $40-75 depending where you get them. You will save your sliders and be able to go a lot further on icy/low snow conditions without overheating.
3. Dynoport Y Pipe & Single Pipe - Roughly $500-600. Supposed to be true 7hp with both pieces.
4. Remove sway bar. You will probably never want to put it back on once you remove it. The sled will pull over much easier without it hooked up.
5. Heavier rear springs if you weigh more than 175lbs. You will notice a bit of sag on the rear suspension if you are heavier or have the jerry can behind the seat. You should be able to search the forums to get the part numbers for the heavier springs.
6. Quick Clickers - $75 - It takes 30 seconds to change your peak RPM with the quick clickers, compared to 5 minutes with the stock nuts.

The gearing on the 163" was apparently set up better than the 154" and 146". I am not sure if the clutching and gearing would need much of a change. Someone with a 163" might be able to confirm or deny this.

Any other mods (nitrous, big bore, etc...) will more often than not cause some wrenching on the hill. I would ride it for at least one season without major mods to see what exactly you want to do. At that point, I would recommend the 2.5" paddle 3" Pitch track, and the big bore kit. Those 2 mods are going to cost a few bucks, but will turn the sled into a totally different beast. Just my 2cents.

tom29

Reaction score
Terra Alps has a good package
billit head 5 hp gain at 8100 and 10 hp gain at 7000rpm
air box mod
clutch spring
vent kits

check it out in sponsor site

jaxondean

Reaction score
Terra Alps has a good package
billit head 5 hp gain at 8100 and 10 hp gain at 7000rpm
air box mod
clutch spring
vent kits

check it out in sponsor site
with a head change, do I need to be running higher octane gas all the time? Is it safe to run at home? - 2600 ft.

jaxondean

Reaction score
I would suggest a turbo. If you are Jet savy, look at a Aerocharger Turbo. Adds 80hp and its pull and go. PM me and I can get you started.
thanks for that - though I am not jet savy at all. I am willing to learn though. How often as you go up a hill do you need to change them?

cobbycat

Reaction score
In my experience with xp's, there are really good ones, and really bad ones! sold to you at 200 miles, I'd be worried!!

mod wise, don't do the pipe, the brp pipe is very hard to improve on. I would concentrate on clutching and gearing, reeds, head, and lightweight parts. and shuttle service to the dealer! lol

hope you got a good one bud!

tom29

Reaction score
with a head change, do I need to be running higher octane gas all the time? Is it safe to run at home? - 2600 ft.

no, you just run premuim pump gas. just as safe as stock, but more power. They'll set you up with the correct dome for your elevation.

CATPRIDE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for that - though I am not jet savy at all. I am willing to learn though. How often as you go up a hill do you need to change them?

You will have to jet for elevation and temperature. I'm not sayingyou ahve to jet at the bottom of the hill and top, just need to be jetted for the top. While you are at the top you may have to jet for temperature. Hopefully that helps you.

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Xp 163 will see HUGE improvments with clutching and gear. Go with a cudney racing kit or a Dynamo Joe kit, also the 163 will need gear reduction aswell. It's a 21 tooth top gear stock you want a 20 tooth. This will help your clutch temps and burnng belts. Another cool and fun mod is adding vents. I like big open vents but there is a new product out now called Gill vents. They are amazing and very cool looking, they go for around $200. Motor runs better while cooler too.

Anything above that kinda small stuff it starts to get expensive. Instead of going more power, you could always start to light weight it, like replace suspension and seat. Just a thought.

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just got most of my upgrade parts from Specialty sleds in edmonton. They have really nice Billet big wheels tunnel stiffeners and foot rests if your looking to add to the look of your machine. They carry pretty much anything you would want. But for specific clutch kits or suspension packages like the Cudney racing kit or Dynamo joe kit i mention, timbersled suspension parts ETC. your best bet would be to get thouse things directly from the manufacturer. The gill vents are sold at pretty much any BRP dealer, i got mine from MR R's in Milo (Alberta) when i picked up my new machine i seen them in bow cycle (barf's) if you wanna get stuff from them.

When i did my clutching on my 07 XRS specialty had pretty much everything i needed, my boss seat is still on order from them but it should be here some time Feb.

Performance parts from them is good too, they have a variety of stuff on their website ::: Welcome to Specialty Sleds ::: take a peak. i really like going through their custom machine pictures. Terra Alps seems to have a great thing going in the performance world, if i were to get a big bore i think id want to go with them.

Just spend some time on google searching out different places. Also a great resource for us Doo boys is Dootalk.com, any performance mod you want to do, someone has probably already done and talked about it on there. They also have a great list of distributers of snowmobile parts.

Top Bottom