Need help solving my 07 outlander issues

snow_farmer

Reaction score
I'll start off by saying I'm a bit of nob when it comes to electrical troubleshooting so forgive me.

On Sat, I was out quadding and buried my quad up to the racks. Everything was fine until I went to pull out my winch to help my buddy get unstuck. I had to use the winch motor with my buddy slowly pulling since it was full of mud and crap. It made it out about 5-8 feet and the quad quit. All the fuses were fine and the battery was good (even replaced it with my buddy's). We managed to "bomb" start it once and let it run for about 5mins before I tried winding the winch up. As soon as I hit the winch button the quad quit and we couldn't get it going again. Everytime we tried starting it, you could hear the solenoid clicking but it was like the starter wasn't turning over. We ended up disconnecting all the wires going to the isolator for the winch. The only one I didn't disconnect was the one going to the cluster because I couldn't figure out which one it was and I didn't wanna start pulling out wires in the bush.

When I looked at it tonight the battery was dead and nothing was left on. I put a battery charger on it and when I went with the quick start the dash lit up but nothing would turn over. I got it on trickle charge right now for over night and when I turned the key on, the one relay was rattling/vibrating like crazy.

I think it could possibly be a short in a wire, the relay, the starter or something I am overlooking. I hope its a quick fix and I don't have to take it in, but if I can't figure it out I will. I was just curious if anyone else has experienced this/help out. Thanks.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Have you had the warn recall done on the solenoid switch. There I had a draw on mine that was killing my battery then I changed it and its better. Also clean your battery terminals and check the wires as well as your starter. Ive taken my renegade totally apart now and discovered a few things when doing so. Some wires to the battery need new ends and there's not enough power to turn the starter properly. I had a draw as well, I found that out by metering the battery with the quad off. Fixed that. Didn't help me in the winter, It froze. Best part is my Nitro and the Renegade use the same battery. Good luck finding your issue but I would start there.

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You say the one relay was rattling/vibrating real bad? Try swapping it with one of the others and see if it starts then.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's three fuses at the rear that get corroded and will cause a no-start. Pull 'em, clean 'em, and put dielectric grease on em. As stated....clean batt cables, check winch wiring and solenoid.

snow_farmer

Reaction score
We did try swapping out the relays with mine, and my buddy's sled with no help. I got it going today though so thanks for all the help. I don't know what the exact problem was, but I cleaned all the terminals and hookups in the back (quite a bit of crap and corrosion on them) and it started up no problem after that. I still don't understand why the relay was vibrating like it was though.

Thanks for all the help though guys.

Bigdaddy00

Reaction score
We did try swapping out the relays with mine, and my buddy's sled with no help. I got it going today though so thanks for all the help. I don't know what the exact problem was, but I cleaned all the terminals and hookups in the back (quite a bit of crap and corrosion on them) and it started up no problem after that. I still don't understand why the relay was vibrating like it was though.

Thanks for all the help though guys.

If your battery is week,usage of the winch will shut your quad down,just another 2-bits it happened to me on my Cat. :beer::beer:

ICANAM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know that this may be no use to you now, but I have had my starter stay on when the solenoid cables get mud and debris stuck in between them. Just a quick shot of water with the pressure washer and it will stop. I was thinking of sealing up the cover that goes over the solenoid area, but it is made to vent, so I don't know how to keep that chit outa there. Any body have any suggestions on that? Or is it okay to seal that area up a little better?

RedlineOffroad

Reaction score
I'll start off by saying I'm a bit of nob when it comes to electrical troubleshooting so forgive me.

On Sat, I was out quadding and buried my quad up to the racks. Everything was fine until I went to pull out my winch to help my buddy get unstuck. I had to use the winch motor with my buddy slowly pulling since it was full of mud and crap. It made it out about 5-8 feet and the quad quit. All the fuses were fine and the battery was good (even replaced it with my buddy's). We managed to "bomb" start it once and let it run for about 5mins before I tried winding the winch up. As soon as I hit the winch button the quad quit and we couldn't get it going again. Everytime we tried starting it, you could hear the solenoid clicking but it was like the starter wasn't turning over. We ended up disconnecting all the wires going to the isolator for the winch. The only one I didn't disconnect was the one going to the cluster because I couldn't figure out which one it was and I didn't wanna start pulling out wires in the bush.

When I looked at it tonight the battery was dead and nothing was left on. I put a battery charger on it and when I went with the quick start the dash lit up but nothing would turn over. I got it on trickle charge right now for over night and when I turned the key on, the one relay was rattling/vibrating like crazy.

I think it could possibly be a short in a wire, the relay, the starter or something I am overlooking. I hope its a quick fix and I don't have to take it in, but if I can't figure it out I will. I was just curious if anyone else has experienced this/help out. Thanks.
I have seen a battery with a damaged cell cause this exact problem. Even if your quad quits and you run it for five min it's not enough to charge the battery to run the winch. Just my 2 cents hope it helps.

500ssJW

Reaction score
Theres a couple of fuses by the battery in the back check those, had the same issue with ares and the one fuse was done! They are covered with a black plastic cap just remove it and you will find 2 fuses.

Top Bottom