My quad is cold....

whitegold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For me it's not whether the quad will start or not.... but what is better for the quad. I just don't think starting it up when it is -20 is very good for it even tho it will start. Isn't that why we plug in our vehicles, to minimize the damage when starting it up cold?

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 800 started every time this winter( just to keep things loose). Synthetic oil is the key. I use synthetic oil is all my Vehicles (SUV, Truck and a Cargo van) never had to plug any of them in during the winter, never had a problem(except for the van battery died). A number of years ago I had neglected to change oil in a vehicle, temp dropped couldn't start the vehicle, turned out the oil had collected enough condensation to freeze the motor, changed oil never had a problem since. Use the proper grade oil and your quad shouldn't have a problem.

Phyer Phyter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The best thing is either heat the oil or use synthetic oil. You do will more damage on a cold start than running a hot engine all week. However check with the manufacturer to see if they recommend synthetic or not. Honda does not endorse synthetic oil for my 09 fourtrax with the automatic transmission. Says synthetic will affect trans shifting.

Top Bottom