Mobile home setup

09 arctic cat m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I've decided I'm going to purchase a mobile home, so what are you's doing for a septic system!?? A tank how long to fill it up before I have to get it sucked out!? Do most set it on woodblocks or screw piles!? I think I'm gonna pass on the propane and go with natural gas, anything to add please feel free thanks

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I've decided I'm going to purchase a mobile home, so what are you's doing for a septic system!?? A tank how long to fill it up before I have to get it sucked out!? Do most set it on woodblocks or screw piles!? I think I'm gonna pass on the propane and go with natural gas, anything to add please feel free thanks
If you are going to put in a tank without a field then the length of time for filling it will vary depending on how many people are using it. Running dishwasher/ washing machine/ showers etc all fill it faster. Using low flush toilets and peeing outside will help.

09 arctic cat m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
10-15 years possibly more, it's just me and my fiancé right now for a few years anyhow, it'll be a tank without a field just a holding tank

DeNytroguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO just a tank is neither here nor there... if you are doing the tank might aswell do the field. Especially if you intend on staying for 10+ years!!! Pricewise the field wont add that much to the final cost. Plus the benefit of less "cleanout" over time. And definately go for Natural Gas... cheaper.
Just my .02 of course!

JayT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO just a tank is neither here nor there... if you are doing the tank might aswell do the field. Especially if you intend on staying for 10+ years!!! Pricewise the field wont add that much to the final cost. Plus the benefit of less "cleanout" over time. And definately go for Natural Gas... cheaper.
Just my .02 of course!
I was going to say the same thing, just do the field, it's going to cost more than a tank but the cost and pain in the ass of emptying the tank will make you wish you did the field. As far as the foundation I would definitely put it on screw piles if you plan on staying that long

Mach1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If ground is solid and packed timbers work well, I just did a re level few weeks ago and it is old farm house so 59 plus yrs.
the prob they had was that they installed the trailer 2 in c channel right on wood so over yrs in sunk an inch so install 6x6 steel plates between and all good, if want to save and spend it on the field like others have said, then insulate the skirting and dump one vent down but make sure to have a couple vents for air circulation, if you do tanks make sure to keep connection cap to suck close to the squirting, lol good luck and feel free to pm me anytime, good luck

09 arctic cat m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alrighty well thanks fellas, I'm putting this mobile on an acreage that's why I was just gonna get a holding tank, kinda like a cabin at the lake sorta thing

PonyboyCurtis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I pretty much agree. Its going to depend lots on the ground. If you have good drainage, a field is pretty straight forward and a bit cheaper for sure. If you have mud/clay then pumping the tank might be the way to go, but you could look into an Infiltrator system. Also with mud/clay base, I think screw piles are best. I used to install piles and they install fast and are rock solid for sure.

pete gads

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lived in a trailer for 10 yrs. Had a field at bottom of hill so everything was gravity. Wont cost much. Not sure where your building but if you have a hill your field should be down hill. Its cost about 250.00 to tank emptied. So 4 times a year is 1000.00 so in 5 year your cost free after that.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where are you setting it up and how many acres is it on could warrant a open discharge system I develop these kind of projects all the time usually 20 acres or more you are good as far as foundation depends on ground conditions some municipalities are different with bylaws so that would be a starting point. As far as a septic holding tank find out cost of getting it emptied. Around Whitecourt area it is 400 each time.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check local area rules. Many new acreage’s built around Leduc are tank only and must pump out. Some areas are no water wells and tank water also.

Check local rules first.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really? Wow

Gotta make sure different truck hauling water in than waste away :)

Makes sense that the municipalities have rules for new or upgraded installations. Strathcona County is now at treatment plants with surface discharge. Installed ours in 2008 and have it vacced out every third year. Works great and only cost $18,000 installed.

Next door neighbor just installed a similar system and finally we do no know when his tank pumps out.

AaronQ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We put a mobile in at the farm about 3 years ago and the cost difference between a field and a syphon system was about 15 grand cheaper with the syphon and open discharge. We don't have a ton of grade but after a couple times steaming out the discharge pipe cause it trickles a little we've pretty well get it figured out and it works perfect. Tank was about 2500 bucks delivered and set in the hole. Still have to have a tank if your putting in a field here in red deer county.
We have good drainage with decent base away from it and the equipment laying around so we hauled all the gravel and built a pad ourselves. Depending where you get the trailer from usually they will supply the wood blocking so the only cost you have is the site prep.
I'd second the deal of getting insulated skirting. My neighbours have it on theirs and we don't and it seems like their floor is warmer.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Check local area rules. Many new acreage’s built around Leduc are tank only and must pump out. Some areas are no water wells and tank water also.

Check local rules first.

100% true, that goes for almost all of Alberta and some parts of BC are starting this as well.

I live in the city of Calgree and am on a water well, and contained septic tank.
House was built in 94, was still in Rockyview County then and a field was not allowed. City annexed in 07 and still no services, lol......

But what ever you can do to reduce the amount of flow into your tank, will help on the amount of pump outs you need.

As far as the foundation goes, I'm no help.........

DeNytroguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I pretty much agree. Its going to depend lots on the ground. If you have good drainage, a field is pretty straight forward and a bit cheaper for sure. If you have mud/clay then pumping the tank might be the way to go, but you could look into an Infiltrator system. Also with mud/clay base, I think screw piles are best. I used to install piles and they install fast and are rock solid for sure.

The last system I installed was with infiltrators, they are more money but are faster and easier to install. It think your best bet would be to have someone come out and take a look. ... once they have had a look, the planner/installer will be able to tell you what type of system is necessary.

Top Bottom