missing Sledders in Silent Pass ???

frop

Reaction score
yeah we did hit the spot sat better safe then sorry. we ran out of dry wood by 12 am since we only had 10 trees to use for wood we were burning green branches. which caused a lot of smoke. there is not much you can do when its all you have. and when you are burning wet wood you will need to blow on the fire a lot to keep it going. I was able to keep a fire going all night with wet wood so I would have to say I have really good fire making skills. I would like to see you keep wet wood burning all night revyG . and by your comments you have never been to the back side of silent pass (Duncan) and seen the only way out which is 200 foot climb maybe 40 deg angle. there is no getting out of there slow mo you need to punch it and when you climb in a whiteout situation you cant tell how fast you are going or are you even moving. cant see bumps and if you even knew what you were talking about you would know that you are trying to make it through a 40 foot opening to crest the mt.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
yeah we did hit the spot sat better safe then sorry. we ran out of dry wood by 12 am since we only had 10 trees to use for wood we were burning green branches. which caused a lot of smoke. there is not much you can do when its all you have. and when you are burning wet wood you will need to blow on the fire a lot to keep it going. I was able to keep a fire going all night with wet wood so I would have to say I have really good fire making skills. I would like to see you keep wet wood burning all night revyG . and by your comments you have never been to the back side of silent pass (Duncan) and seen the only way out which is 200 foot climb maybe 40 deg angle. there is no getting out of there slow mo you need to punch it and when you climb in a whiteout situation you cant tell how fast you are going or are you even moving. cant see bumps and if you even knew what you were talking about you would know that you are trying to make it through a 40 foot opening to crest the mt.

This is getting interesting or maybe I should say it is going to be long and drawn out...............:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

frop

Reaction score
Isn't nice to actually be able to talk to the person that was involved with this, Instead of speculating what happen to them. I didn't have to sign up and tell my side of the story and I am will to answer any questions plus defend myself or anyone that might end up in the same situation. sh*t happens . We don't need people dyeing over a bit of money.

kgb117

Reaction score
I'm glad u made it out safe. I cannot argue with u for calling for help when u thought u needed it. Better safe then sorry. But I also feel like you were not prepared for the situation. I'm not here to lecture. I feel like there is a big grey line with these types of situations.

RevyG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah we did hit the spot sat better safe then sorry. we ran out of dry wood by 12 am since we only had 10 trees to use for wood we were burning green branches. which caused a lot of smoke. there is not much you can do when its all you have. and when you are burning wet wood you will need to blow on the fire a lot to keep it going. I was able to keep a fire going all night with wet wood so I would have to say I have really good fire making skills. I would like to see you keep wet wood burning all night revyG . and by your comments you have never been to the back side of silent pass (Duncan) and seen the only way out which is 200 foot climb maybe 40 deg angle. there is no getting out of there slow mo you need to punch it and when you climb in a whiteout situation you cant tell how fast you are going or are you even moving. cant see bumps and if you even knew what you were talking about you would know that you are trying to make it through a 40 foot opening to crest the mt.[/

Oh well, guess everything was done correctly. Sorry if I hurt your feelings

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah we did hit the spot sat better safe then sorry. we ran out of dry wood by 12 am since we only had 10 trees to use for wood we were burning green branches. which caused a lot of smoke. there is not much you can do when its all you have. and when you are burning wet wood you will need to blow on the fire a lot to keep it going. I was able to keep a fire going all night with wet wood so I would have to say I have really good fire making skills. I would like to see you keep wet wood burning all night revyG . and by your comments you have never been to the back side of silent pass (Duncan) and seen the only way out which is 200 foot climb maybe 40 deg angle. there is no getting out of there slow mo you need to punch it and when you climb in a whiteout situation you cant tell how fast you are going or are you even moving. cant see bumps and if you even knew what you were talking about you would know that you are trying to make it through a 40 foot opening to crest the mt.[/

here, this better....

You did everything great, way to go, so glad you are alive! You made some super smart choices.

Think I never been in the mountains? In a white out? Guess you never rode Revelstoke. We all make 1000's of choices a day, sounds like some not as good as others.

u seem awful annal about someone calling for help, you were not there, have no idea what went on, if you don't need to call for help great, hopefully it works out for you. i may have pushed the help button myself in the same circumstances, better to be alive than not. i think they did the right thing.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what I am getting out of this is they were prepared enough to last a night on the hill till help came? There is no way you can climb out of a bowl like that under power in a whiteout. I don't care who you are. We have all been in a situation where there is no visibility and you stop and wait unless you can creep along with the help of a GPS but it needs to be flat ground or downhill because in that kinda snow you need to be on the throttle to go up. Like Revy G and Modman said there are some abnormalities in the chain of events but if the guy cant see to ride out you gotta use the SPOT?

RevyG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From imdoo'n. u seem awful annal about someone calling for help, you were not there, have no idea what went on, if you don't need to call for help great, hopefully it works out for you. i may have pushed the help button myself in the same circumstances, better to be alive than not. i think they did the right thing.[/QUOTE]

Your opinion is right, mine is wrong. Glad they are ok. I will only post nice friendly "way to go" posts from now on.

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From imdoo'n. u seem awful annal about someone calling for help, you were not there, have no idea what went on, if you don't need to call for help great, hopefully it works out for you. i may have pushed the help button myself in the same circumstances, better to be alive than not. i think they did the right thing.

Your opinion is right, mine is wrong. Glad they are ok. I will only post nice friendly "way to go" posts from now on.[/QUOTE]

lol, finally something we can agree on! any idea how accurate a hand held gps receiver is in a white out? and up hill, the guy made the right choice, maybe ask bear grillis.

RevyG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My rino works great, I use it around here all the time, Revy gets a lot of white outs, ever been far end of Frisby when in rolls in? ( hope that was ok to say, not to mean?)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My rino works great, I use it around here all the time, Revy gets a lot of white outs, ever been far end of Frisby when in rolls in? ( hope that was ok to say, not to mean?)

glad you rino works well again what might the claimed accuracy be? most will be in the 2 to 4 meter range in a bluebird day, and that is generally iffy. lot less in a total whiteout. you should have your own show and compete with bear grillis. your that good.

RevyG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hahaha. Snow hero? What makes me sound like an idiot? Cause I can get myself out of places I go, cause I can use my gps? If that makes me a Snow hero than sure guess I am. There better be a life or death situation in my group before anyone calls for S&R and get guys away from their lives and families to look for my lost soul. Again if that makes me a snow hero in your eyes thanks for that.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hahaha. Snow hero? What makes me sound like an idiot? Cause I can get myself out of places I go, cause I can use my gps? If that makes me a Snow hero than sure guess I am. There better be a life or death situation in my group before anyone calls for S&R and get guys away from their lives and families to look for my lost soul. Again if that makes me a snow hero in your eyes thanks for that.

not everyone has your ability, good you can get out. but in a whiteout situation panic can set in and things go wrong in a hurry, you can't trust the compass or gps as being right, best to sit still and wait out storm if you can. but each situation is different, search and rescue would have been happy they didn't really get lost or get hurt.

Top Bottom