Minimum job standard's,how low would you go?

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snopro and absledder,I hear ya,I have spent many year's in a tractor in the field and
working on location's all day where you "live out of your lunchbox" and you do what you
have to behind the tires or in the bush. IMO that is to be expected, but this is not a temp.
job site or a tractor working in a field.
This is a "plant" owned and operated by a multi million dollar company. I kinda thought with
dozen's of full time worker's, a place to wash your hand's and do your "business" would kind
of be a no brainer.
Porta potties have their place,I'm not saying they don't.I just think that they only need to be used
at temp. job sites.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, some of you guy's that are being "hater's" are telling me that having water at a plant
where a guy spend 12 hour's working is being picky? Really?
If this place was just being built I would totally understand,but it's been running for a MANY YEAR'S
So, I'll ask a question of the guy's that are telling me to suck it up.
How many of you work at a completed facility that doesn't have water.....................................
Deaner,tell me about the place that you work that doesn't have water or a ****ter..................

Worked many years on the rigs where you brought your own water and chit in a pail out in the woods. Didnt seem like a big deal at the time.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snopro and absledder,I hear ya,I have spent many year's in a tractor in the field and
working on location's all day where you "live out of your lunchbox" and you do what you
have to behind the tires or in the bush. IMO that is to be expected, but this is not a temp.
job site or a tractor working in a field.
This is a "plant" owned and operated by a multi million dollar company. I kinda thought with
dozen's of full time worker's, a place to wash your hand's and do your "business" would kind
of be a no brainer.
Porta potties have their place,I'm not saying they don't.I just think that they only need to be used
at temp. job sites.

if the site is not up to your standards don't take the job, whining on here won't make It happen, you sound like wayne gretsky. no one Is forcing you to take the job.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Worked many years on the rigs where you brought your own water and chit in a pail out in the woods. Didnt seem like a big deal at the time.

That isn't apples to apples..........This isn't a rig that changes locations everyday or every few day's.................
This is a "permanent facility" Totally different thing.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as the old saying goes, chit rolls down hill, your out of work, and that is a slippery slope.

Pardon the puns :)

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That isn't apples to apples..........This isn't a rig that changes locations everyday or every few day's.................

Was mostly on big triples. On holes for at least 3 weeks.

The way things are looking in Lloyd.......I wouldnt be too picky.

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If it doesn't make the company any more money, they likely don't give a ****. Some of the best paying jobs I had, were the very worst conditions... go figure.

Every gas station or Tim Hortons I've ever seen has both running water, and a nice place to poop. Maybe that's a little closer to what you should be looking for??

handyandy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I do find it odd that they wouldn't have washrooms. Could be a sign that the companies main priority is cutting costs, so potentially they also cut corners when it comes to worker safety. Probably something to look out for. I would have a hard time turning down a job in the current economy though.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe you should try WalMart....they're probably hiring....running water, clean toilets that are cleaned at least once a day too...:D

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To you guy's being A- hole's tell me about the place you work 12 hour shift's with no running water or chitter.
And the tim horton's and walmart dig's are super funny, it's a big help.
Yes, the economy is bad I'm not saying it isn't.But WTF does that really have to do with anything.

And Handyandy,yes it is hard to turn down a job in the current economy, and worker safety is not something
that even exist's from the look's of the place.

And Piston, if you have a coffee pot wherever you work,and running water and a chitter then
STFU.If you don't then please tell me your opinion.

Last edited:

Wemac

Reaction score
Hahaha this isn't the early pioneer days that we are living in. Do what you need to do to provide for your family. Absolutely there is no reason for a place of employment to not have facilities. All of these people with the suck it up attitude are making me laugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Found this for you. Is there help if you need it .....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 209

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe you should try WalMart....they're probably hiring....running water, clean toilets that are cleaned at least once a day too...:D
I been to lots of walmarts that never had clean toilets!
As for Loydguy I see what you are saying! I worked at a welding shop in the city that there was 35-40 "new Canadians" and me and 2 other white guys. That place was gross to say the least. The toilet was plugged for the hole time I worked there but that didn't stop those guys from using it, there was a mound 3' high lol! I was like a cat and went out side and buried it!

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't take the job then. I might happen to think you sound like a whiner, but who cares.(you did ask what we think though)

You're not putting food on my table.

Last edited:

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im sorry but your coming off as an entitled spoiled brat. You make assumptions that there is no workers safety, but have you actually looked at that aspect? That would be the deal killer for me. If I needed a job running water and flushing toilets would be nice, but not a game changer. IF the money was right and the safety in place, I go to work.

I am an independent contractor, I work 12 to 15 hour days, leave home with a lunch kit, thermos and a roll to toilet paper. I often dont see running water or flushing toilets till I get home at night.

That plant your talking about probably had a hard time when things were hot in the patch, but now they have the pick of the crop. Welcome to a down economy.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It would be different if this was a job like sizemek or a feild operator ect, long ways away from a biffy.....

Otherwise a plant with that many people, come on, a biffy should be mandatory

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It would be different if this was a job like sizemek or a feild operator ect, long ways away from a biffy.....

Otherwise a plant with that many people, come on, a biffy should be mandatory
I have to wonder what the plants excuse is? 30 to 40 employees you would think facilities would exist. How did they survive when it was hard to get workers? More to this story I would think.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
OH&S provides minimum standards with regards to access to drinking water and toilet facilities. So long as those minimums are met there is likely no reason to question the "safety" of the operation. If they are not meeting the minimums in this regard than they are likely missing them in other areas as well.

If there are 30 workers there should be at least 3 toilets. Section 357 Toilet facilities

Here is the blurb on "condition of facilities" quite grey Section 361 Condition of facilities

Top Bottom