Mec 1040 help

foxrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So im picking courses for my Modules courses, and I want to take mec 1040 engine fundamentals, its an online course, and it says I must have access to a small engine to work on, its an online course, so why do i have to have the motor to work on since its theory, and not hands on?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dont need a shop you got a 670 plenty of wrenching to do on that

LOL

jk...

that is strange maybe just some wording they use for all the courses who knows

foxrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dont need a shop you got a 670 plenty of wrenching to do on that

LOL

jk...

that is strange maybe just some wording they use for all the courses who knows

Lol the engine fundamentals applies for small engines, less than 15 hp, the 670 has 120hp and its running like a charm so no wrenching required, YET but one day I will eat my words.

foxrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when i was in school for that sorta chit, i was told theory and actual work goes hand in hanfd, first u learn how it works, then u go out and do the wrenchin.
But I can only take theory right now, and for college im going to become a recreational equipment technician, ( sled mechanic), my school doesnt offer hands on due to no certified instructor, so im stuck with online courses.

munhoez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In a Dakota R/T, down by the South Sask. River
But I can only take theory right now, and for college im going to become a recreational equipment technician, ( sled mechanic), my school doesnt offer hands on due to no certified instructor, so im stuck with online courses.

where's that "WTF" button when u need it. In sask its called OPET, outdoor power equipment technician, there's no certification or journeyman status like in alb.( or is that only for motorcycles)

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fairview has the only shop in Canada that trains people to be Harley mechanics. I'm not really into that but toured it a fee times. VERy very cool. Harley is a whole other world... Anyways they have a good small engines bs automotive programs to...
As far as high school, if mechanics is really what you want, get involved with the RAP (registered apprenticeship program) or whatever it's called in your area. That way you can have a job at a local sled shop right now and be collecting hours for your schooling. You can start that in gr 10.
Also with that online thing, just find an old 5hp Briggs and Stratton engine to take apart. You'll learn and remember a lot more if you see what they are talking about. (even if you never put it back together lol)

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
O forgot to mention, grande prairie isnt really the mechanics place, I actually dont even know if they have it right in gp. Fairview collage used to be called "fairview collage" then it was naiT for a few years then gprc (grande prairie regional collage) ran it and I think they still do. So if your researching gprc just pay attention. If it's trades it's probably referring to the fairview campus, not the one right in gp.

foxrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ah. Well. I dont want to go to NAIT because i wont have anywhere to store my sled, and would still like to go riding. But could always look for places in Fairview. Two years passes quickly and its part of my CALM course to "hypothetically" find a place to live, and a place to find a job. So I can so that for Fairview then, and hopefully go their for my schooling.

foxrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fairview has the only shop in Canada that trains people to be Harley mechanics. I'm not really into that but toured it a fee times. VERy very cool. Harley is a whole other world... Anyways they have a good small engines bs automotive programs to...
As far as high school, if mechanics is really what you want, get involved with the RAP (registered apprenticeship program) or whatever it's called in your area. That way you can have a job at a local sled shop right now and be collecting hours for your schooling. You can start that in gr 10.
Also with that online thing, just find an old 5hp Briggs and Stratton engine to take apart. You'll learn and remember a lot more if you see what they are talking about. (even if you never put it back together lol)

I tried setting up that RAP program thing with the guy that does autobody repairs but he wouldnt so it because his insurance company said I was a major liability, I ended up working for him for 3 months as a shop hand, learned alot of stuff, but I couldnt take getting payed under the counter, 7.00$ and hour was a spit in the face for the work I was doing. I picked up my last pay cheuqe one friday and never came back to work. Got a job as a janitor and am getting promotion soon.
But anyways, Im taking the engine fundamentals because its the only thing in ways of pre requisites I can do before going to college.

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ah. Well. I dont want to go to NAIT because i wont have anywhere to store my sled, and would still like to go riding. But could always look for places in Fairview. Two years passes quickly and its part of my CALM course to "hypothetically" find a place to live, and a place to find a job. So I can so that for Fairview then, and hopefully go their for my schooling.

once your in school, all your money will go toward tuition, rent, beer and woman. sledding funds might be scarce...:cool: just saying.

Top Bottom