MCB Pistons

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got a call from Matt at MCB pistons and they have a recall on wrist pin bearings,breaking and falling into ur bottom end.If you bought a set between Nov-Feb last winter id be gettin ahold of him.

o ya this was just for the 800r he said..

Last edited:

Mighty Mouse

Reaction score
I discovered this post AFTER my sled's wrist pin bearig fell apart and took out my bottom end. I had purchased a "MCB" piston kit and gasket kit from ORPS's Parts in Ontario back in late October 2012 (installed Nov 2012 at my dealer). Well, 19 hours (6 trips) of riding later, she let loose. Once my dealer pulled the motor apart, realized what had happened, I then started following the trail back. Contacted the parts supplier and then the manufacturer trying to determine what, if any, warranty they would provide. What was a simple top end rebuild, ended up being a complete motor replacement from that wrist pin bearing blowing apart.

From what I've learned during those conversations with MCB and ORPS, MCB uses SPI wrist pin bearings; however, MCB only sells pistons to ORPS, so who knows where the wrist pin bearing came from. MCB as noted above, did try contacting all their previous customers/dealers notifying them of the wrist pin bearing recall. MCB were offering to replace the wrist pin bearing, but labor was at your own cost. ORPS who sold to me, did not notify me at all. MCB gave me a couple options, but we settled on a new piston/gasket kit even though their pistons did not cause the failure. ORPS who is basically selling MCB pistons with wrist pin bearings from another supplier, would not refund my money and only offered a gasket kit ($50, if that). Needless to say, I'm not at all happy with how I was treated by ORPS, but will recommend dealing with Matt at MCB to anyone.

That wrist pin bearing has been sold in many kits and for those of you who were not contacted and changed it, you are sitting on a ticking time bomb. I understand that manufacturers build stuff that sometimes needs recalls, but for parts suppliers to knowingly sell product that has the potential of causing a LOT of damage, that just blows my mind. I had a copy of my receipt, information from the dealer with hours since top end rebuild, cause of motor failure detailed with photos and even a short video, but ORPS has left me hung out to dry. So as a warning to others, buyer beware! If you believe you are paying for a quality product and have read multiple reviews stating the same, then make sure you know what you are getting. In my case, the parts dealer didn't stand behind their product. They were given multiple opportunities to rectify this situation, but only MCB stepped up to the plate in my opinion.

To my fellow sledders, hope you have happy trails and aren't left in the woods due to this major oversight. I do NOT recommend ORPS for after sales service. Deal with the manufacturer if you can as they will at the very least notify you of any potential problems and remedies.

Top Bottom