M8 or M1000?? (2009 through 2011)

snowprozr

Reaction score
I am sure there this question has been asked in other threads but I can't seem to find them!

Just looking for peoples opinion on what the better sled is for a 50/50 split of riding the mountains and the praires? M8 or M1000? I am 6' & 240lb.... thinking the 162" will be best either way.

I was leaning towards the 1000 but latley have been hearing from some sledders & dealers they are more prone to problems than the M8's??

Hard facts, problem parts, pro's & con's, Experience... any input would be appreciated as I am stuck on the fence and need to make a decsion soon!!

Turbo-North

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 1000 and love it. If i were to buy a new one though i would buy a 2010 M8 Hcr . Rode one and loved it. Think of it like a smallblock vs a big block. 1000 has more torque but the 800 is snappier and makes as much horse power but not the torque. Now thw M8,s are geared down so not as fast a top speed. 82 mph ,ish. as opposed to 95 mph ,ish. M8 is easier to mod. Too many changes to the 1000 and you need a box, Boondocker Powercommander Attitude etc. M8 is more plug and play. Much beyond a y pipe and a can and you need a box. Some even need it with the Y pipe alone. Was an issue with fuel pressures so some are fine and some arent,/ Below 3000 feet i would run a box with any add on,s.

hcr ditch banger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
TURBO - NORTH has a good point i run a 2010hcr an love it good sled. don't get much time to go to the mountains but its alright aroung home . use to have a crossfire 1000 . HCR alot better

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm 6'2" and weigh 280lbs, I bought the M8 but wish I would went with the M1000 for the torque. Don't get me wrong the 2010 M8 has plenty of power and is very snappy but that torque is just plain nice to have.

Turbo-North

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm 6'2" and weigh 280lbs, I bought the M8 but wish I would went with the M1000 for the torque. Don't get me wrong the 2010 M8 has plenty of power and is very snappy but that torque is just plain nice to have.

Can you say TURBO lol!!

RTTTTed

Reaction score
Can you say TURBO lol!!

I bought the fastest sled available (except for the Turbo Arctic Cat). I'm a porky 175# now and really need that power to move me around.

The emissions stock Y pipe is nasty and until you change it the older sleds are better. I tossed the cat/muffler and used a stinger/can. It saved 17# and sounds like a machine now. The Y pipe adds significant power (11-13bhp).

We also have a modified '05 M7 that is nicer for the kids and women (daughter's sled). The M1000 has too much power for her because she has a little difficulty "working the throttle" to apply less throttle when carving. The 162" track sucks up a lot of the power of the 1000 and it probably is close as an M8 with a 152" track. So if you want a 162" get a 1000. 800 is OK with a 153" and a Y and a stinger though. Great for girls!

Oh, spoke to a guy that had Diamond Drive" issues with his M8. No problems with my 1000 though.

The Big guys on the block get 1000s and add the Y pipe and can. The girls get the M800. Girls are usually smaller.

Turbo-North

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL em,s fightin werds!!! M8 a girls sled BUAHHAHHAHAHA. Wait till i tell Carsten I need to find an M8 for the wife LOL!!!

PS, no offense to you great women riders out there!! YOU GO GIRL!!!

walk all over xp's

Reaction score
Go M 1000, I was going back and forth tying to decide on the 2010 M 8 or M 1000 and I'm so happy I went with the M 1000. Bought a new 09 Changed the y pipe and can and put on a challenger extreme 2.5 still was cheaper than 2010 m8, and I haven't rode along side a M 8 that can come close. Yet...

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go M 1000, I was going back and forth tying to decide on the 2010 M 8 or M 1000 and I'm so happy I went with the M 1000. Bought a new 09 Changed the y pipe and can and put on a challenger extreme 2.5 still was cheaper than 2010 m8, and I haven't rode along side a M 8 that can come close. Yet...

maybe the years differ but i can walk all over my buds 08 m1000, i have a 09 m8:d:beer:

snowprozr

Reaction score
maybe the years differ but i can walk all over my buds 08 m1000, i have a 09 m8:d:beer:

Not sure if its true but I have heard from a couple different sources that the 09 and 10 M8's generate about the same hp and giving the wait difference that would be right! Just the torque can't compare.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure if its true but I have heard from a couple different sources that the 09 and 10 M8's generate about the same hp and giving the wait difference that would be right! Just the torque can't compare.

I currently ride an '11 M8 SnoPro 153" that I love. However, I hopped on my brother's 2010 M1000 for an afternoon. The two have similar horsepower, but they are two different animals. The torque of the M1000 is extremely addicting and once you get used to that kinda pull, it's hard to go back.

There are some issues that pop up with the M1000's that are much less frequent in the m8's. Buuut, keep in mind it takes a significant investment to get more power out of an M8, whereas a much smaller investment will extend the M1000's abilities much further...

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah not sure havent tried to out right climb him yet but but any kinda drag race or just coming into some powder even and pinning it i always have the upper hand, not bragging but just what we have noticed :)

1badhusky

Reaction score
Everyone has this question. I had it and made my decision this year and got the 09 m1000. Love the sled - it just plain rips. Doesn't feel heavy to me and I came off the lightest 600 mt. sled made.

Then again, mine has a lot of weight saving mods on it.

I'm not a very good rider yet, but this sled makes things so much easier - I actually put up the high mark against some really good riders on ski doo 800s earlier this year - it wasn't skill - it was torque.

I haven't ridden an m8 yet, but I know I wouldn't want any less power than this sled has. I think of it this way. W/ the m8, you'll always be wondering what you didn't get. W/ the m1, you can make it weigh as much as an m8 with some cheap mods that'll also give you another 20-30hp.

Turbo-North

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah not sure havent tried to out right climb him yet but but any kinda drag race or just coming into some powder even and pinning it i always have the upper hand, not bragging but just what we have noticed :)
M8,s are geared lower than an M 1000 so they will be quicker there. In a hard pull the 1000 will shine. Torque BABY!!

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i agree the m1 has alot more torque. the latest numbers for hp are the new ho 800 at about 155 given the 1000 is 162 thats a sizeable difference.. in my opinion we all pay alot for 7 hp....so the 1000 is still a great sled... may not be as snappy out of the hole.... but still an awesome performer... plus with the m1000 for around 2 k you can be just under the 200 hp mark.... plus the engine is proven as its unchanged since 07 .....

snowprozr

Reaction score
Thanks all...thats been some great comments so far. I am still leaning more towards the 1000.

Any comments are appreciated!!

Turbo-North

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
GO BIG OR GO HOME!!! LOL love that saying. Haven,t been up against an M 8 since my sled broke inbut......... Y pipe and SLP can it feels just as snappy as an M 8. SNaps the skis in the air and carrys them along pulling harder and harder till it cathes up to itself and starts to level off. I came off a 1M 600 and was tentative of the power at first. NOW i love it wish i had bought a 1000 years back. Course i would likely be riding a turbo sled now LOL..
Bottom line both are Great sled s the 1000 has more potential and power. Might be same HP but they feel totally different. The 1000 has that rip your arms off stump pullin torque.

08xpx

Reaction score
Have a new M1000 Sno Pro. No replacement for displacement. If an arm stretcher is what you want there is no fell like the M1000. Gets you places you shouldnt be but now you can decide. use to ride a doo 800 moded up wont touch my cat. Last sled cost me nearly 30k all in to get were this one is for half the cost. Keep in mind the kitty likes fuel but you dont get power without burnin fuel.:d

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have an 07 M1, and an 08 M8 - both with extra goodies. The 1000 has no equal in the torque dept. The M8 is lighter (and not by much). I weigh about 240 in full gear. I've ridden a 2010 M8, doesn't have the snap of the 08 that is lightly modded. Only way I'd go with the 8 is if it had a turbocharger on it.

Parad0x01

Reaction score
I'm having the same dilemma. Picking up a sled soon and trying to decide between an m8 or m1000. I'm 6'2 and 265 so I could use the extra torque lol

Top Bottom