M7 clutch weights- input please

Bails

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, I was just reading the thread for M8 clutching, and it got me wondering. I am really inexperienced in the clutching department. Will running weights for 3000-6000ft hurt anything on the flatlands. I was just under the impression that I would just be losing out on some top end. The sled runs awesome with the mountain weights in, no complaints on hestitation or power.

any input would help

Red Mtn Riders

Reaction score
You say running the flatlands...but running the flatlands where I live IS 6000ft. Do you mean running at lower altitude?

Generally you go down in wieght as you go up in altitude. The stock M7 came with 68 gr wieghts and was set up for 6000-9000. For 9,000-12,000 they say to run 65 gr wieghts.

Typically you run lighter weight to get the finishing rpm up. You want to be at 7900-8000 on a stock M7. At low altitude you probably have enough power to over rev because the wights are too light for the lower altitude.

You will be down on power because the pipe is tuned to make max power at a pretty specific rpm. As long as you don't hold it way over 8000 rpm for a long stretch, you are not going to hurt the engine.

Hope that helps.

Top Bottom