M1000 Dies then Runs Fine. What is this foul sorcery?

1badhusky

Reaction score
This has happened to me 2 times now. Sled running fine, going down a trail, sled's been running for 15 minutes or so, so plenty warmed up, maybe 6000 rpms at 40mph and it dies like I turned it off. Not flashing any codes.

Try to restart and nothing. Check and replace plugs. Nothing. Check spark - getting spark. Check all the connections I can, nothing amiss.

Now getting towed for 15 minutes. Take a break. Decide to try it again. Fires right up. Runs fine for the rest of the day and all next day.

Same thing happened last year. Ran it for probably 7 rides after it happened with no problems. Then Saturday it happened again..

Any ideas why it would die, not start, then with nothing fixed other than cooling down for 30 minutes, restart and run fine?

SHIFTmx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had this same problem with my M800 would die I would open the hood and 10mins later it would fire up with nothing done and all that I found was it might have been starving for air, my screens on either side of my headlights would be plugged solid with snow and it would start to die then I would brush them off and it would come back. Don't know for sure if that is the problem but worked for me.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Throttle safety switch acting up? or maybe stator?

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had that happen to my nephews 3 times last year. Never did figure it out and it didn't come back again.....yet. Good luck, and let us know if you find anything.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This has happened to me 2 times now. Sled running fine, going down a trail, sled's been running for 15 minutes or so, so plenty warmed up, maybe 6000 rpms at 40mph and it dies like I turned it off. Not flashing any codes.

Try to restart and nothing. Check and replace plugs. Nothing. Check spark - getting spark. Check all the connections I can, nothing amiss.

Now getting towed for 15 minutes. Take a break. Decide to try it again. Fires right up. Runs fine for the rest of the day and all next day.

Same thing happened last year. Ran it for probably 7 rides after it happened with no problems. Then Saturday it happened again..

Any ideas why it would die, not start, then with nothing fixed other than cooling down for 30 minutes, restart and run fine?

Check for good chassis ground on harness. RH side of steering loop, you will find a large ring connector secured by one of the bolts holding the loop to the lower frame. Make sure it's tight and wiring in good shape. Those 1000's like to vibrate, rub and chafe everything!

Good luck.

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Different kind of machine but same problem. Was talking to my brother last night, his new John Deere tractor was doing the same. Had a bug in the gas tank and it would get sucked to the bottom of the tank and plug the line. Never factor out lack of fuel. Plugged filter?

KatMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Different kind of machine but same problem. Was talking to my brother last night, his new John Deere tractor was doing the same. Had a bug in the gas tank and it would get sucked to the bottom of the tank and plug the line. Never factor out lack of fuel. Plugged filter?

id agree check fuel. maybe water in system freezing/unfreezing or crap stopping fuel then un-lodging when getting bumped.

good spark when you pull plugs? good compression? plugs look wet?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
You can actually reach right into the tanks on those sleds and make sure the pickups are not blocked... there are 3 in the tank.

Deasoninc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check for good chassis ground on harness. RH side of steering loop, you will find a large ring connector secured by one of the bolts holding the loop to the lower frame. Make sure it's tight and wiring in good shape. Those 1000's like to vibrate, rub and chafe everything!

Good luck.

I had this happen to mine twice. The first time is just like what's said above. The second time my plug wire was shorting out to the "clip" that holds it in place. It is a metal klip that is plastic coated. After the plastic wore off it would short enough to kill it.....sometiimes. I replaced and repaired the plug wires where needed and it has never done it again in two seasons.

joekikass

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Un hook the connection that runs to your on off key i think it's brown/purple try that, if it runs fine it will be the plug that connects into the key mechanism.

krash

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my m8 did that would run good and then its like someone turned the key off. got worse as the day progressed would only rev max 6500rpm. my solution was a new main wiring harness..good luck.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try unplugging the ignition wires and ride it and see if that fixes it. I had the exact same problem on my older cat and it was the ignition.

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My guess would be stator. When it heats up there is a break and when it cools down it connects again.

1badhusky

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for all the ideas - will start working my way through them and hopefully find something that's off or loose or worn through - I've heard tracking down electrical issues can be a freaking nightmare, and that seems to me what it might be. Going riding this weekend so we'll see how it goes.

For the ignition one, do you disconnect it right behind where the key goes in? And if you disconnect the key, why would it start at all? Isn't that the point of the key?

For the stator or coil, does it make sense that this would only happen occasionally? In other words, it certainly doesn't happen every time the sled gets hot - it's only happened 2 times in 15 rides or so, so it's very infrequent.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For the ignition one, do you disconnect it right behind where the key goes in? And if you disconnect the key, why would it start at all? Isn't that the point of the key?

You would think so but no. The key switch is actually open to run. It closes to ground the ignition circuit when it's off.

joekikass

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Disconnect it where it comes out of the wire harness behind your steering post.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check your complete wiring harness for grounding especially near any metal objects. Coil or stator usually do it more often than just random. Because the circuit grounds to close it, if you have an exposed wire it might be shutting down if it hits and grounds out. Taillight wiring under the seat and tank were known to do this. LEt us know what you find.

cedarsavage_2000

Reaction score
I had that happen on a 92 Panther. Plug wire vibrated and wore through the rubber coating on the plug wire and wore through the rubber coating on the fastener that held it in place. This led to a year long battle trying to figure it out. When I changed plugs 95% of the time it would start right up. But I now know that was only because in changing the plugs it Moved the plug wire and broke the ground!

Top Bottom