2005 Polaris Fusion 900 Hard to start.

djkevin

Reaction score
Hello. I picked up a 2005 Polaris Fusion 900 with 2900 miles on it but it is very tough to get it running. It would take about 15 pulls on the starter rope before it would keep running. I can pull it about 10 times before it even tries to run. Then it runs on one side for a second then dies. Once it does keep ideling it will be fine all day and start right up next time unless you leave it for a few days. Is there a recall? Is there a check valve on these? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would first check the compression, possible weak or no spark. spray some wd 40 in the intake see if you can get it to pop faster.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Once you get it going, be fun to line it up against the new 900 polaris in a drag race or hill climb maybe.

djkevin

Reaction score
I would first check the compression, possible weak or no spark. spray some wd 40 in the intake see if you can get it to pop faster.
Thank you. You are the only one trying to help me out. I buy and sell sleds. I can't sell it till I know it will be a good sled. The compression feels great. I will try the wd40 idea tomorrow. I don't have any service lights on the dash or running issues after it starts. The engine will go to reverse but only after fully warmed up. I don't hear any fuel pump running. Shouldn't it kick on when I turn on the key?

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you. You are the only one trying to help me out. I buy and sell sleds. I can't sell it till I know it will be a good sled. The compression feels great. I will try the wd40 idea tomorrow. I don't have any service lights on the dash or running issues after it starts. The engine will go to reverse but only after fully warmed up. I don't hear any fuel pump running. Shouldn't it kick on when I turn on the key?
Usually not going into reverse until fully warmed up is another indication of low compression, pulling the starter rope out slowly will give you a rough idea if the cylinders are the same compression but you really need to get a gauge and test it.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bad chassis relay might be a reason for hard starting. If it is bad then voltage produced by stator is bled off by lights so there is not enough juice for the fuel pump.

Chassis Relay: The chassis relay is activated by the
ECU at approximately 950 RPM. Below 950 RPM (700 rpm on the 900 cfi's), all
power supplied by the regulator / rectifier (RED circuit)
is used to power the ECU and fuel pump.

Top Bottom