Low Tire Pressure Indicator Adjustment/Override

tmurphy

Reaction score
I just installed a new set of tires on my 2011 F350. In order to get the low tire pressure indicator light to go off the tires had to be inflated to 90lbs in the rear and 80 lbs in the front. This is too much pressure in the tires according to the guys at Fountain Tire. The correct pressure for the tires is 50lbs, but at this pressure,the indicator light for low pressure stays on. I stoppped into the Ford Dealership today to see of they could adjust the low pressure setpoint, but they said they weren't allowed to do it (according to the law). Does anyone know of a way to override this indication?

badmonkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
interested if something can be done with an 2009 2500 HD GMC also. put on the winter tires and starting to tire of that light being on all the time

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
westlock ford did mine when i changed out the tires not sure how to over ride it but a good dealer will find you a solution.

Transporter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I need to do this too dont have new tires yet but wanted to at least air down the crappy continentals.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they told me that to when i put the yires on my 150. they said if i left themat 30lbs the light would be on. hasn't been on yet. last time it cam on i checked the tire and it was at 10psi. :eek::eek: friggrn half tones and 8 ply tires cant tell when they get low.

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
the dealers dont tell u the truth than its pretty easy to set the pressure points on the sensors with the scan tool

90 psi is way to much

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had my 2010 GMC 2500hd tire pressure sensors changed at a chev quick lube. It takes 5 minutes for them to plug into the computer and they set it to 45lbs front and back.

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
interested if something can be done with an 2009 2500 HD GMC also. put on the winter tires and starting to tire of that light being on all the time

you have to have the tpm's installed if your using a different set of rims as well

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
spent tons of time and money trying to get my light out , no luck , mines an 08 f350

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
cant believe ure dealers dont set the values like u want

i did it multiple times already for customers
specially if they run bigger tires and wheels with more air the light would be on for too much air
so all i do is set the tresholds and waring psi values to what ever they want

i work at a dodge dealer though

RMKRookie

Reaction score
I have heard of guys removing the TPM from the rims and having them placed in the spare tire - do not know if it works - Fountain tire reset mine on a GMC

Jay K

Reaction score
My Dodge has a switch for light load. That way the light does not come on at lower pressures. Hmmmm ....the old Fargo has somethin' the fancy guys don't!!!! WOW!

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
jay k

even those pressures can be adjusted on the light load light

good thing they came out with it though last winter was naoying with all the lights on all the time

thumperracing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like FossY says you just have to find the right dealer to lower the TPS for you. When i had myn lowered the dealer told me that 45psi was the minimum that they could legally set it for a 3/4 ton or 1 ton.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Hmmmmmmm, you guys aren't running enough air pressure in your e rated load 10 ply tires on f350's, if only at 40 to 50psi in the tires?? What ply tire are you running on your one tons?

mudbitchguy

Reaction score
Website
www.supergripatv.ca
Hmmmmmmm, you guys aren't running enough air pressure in your e rated load 10 ply tires on f350's, if only at 40 to 50psi in the tires?? What ply tire are you running on your one tons?

MMMM Ya... I'm with Ric....

BTW TPMS sensors can only be reprogrammed by the dealer to adjust the pressure. Wheel positions can be done at any tire shop.

I too run LT 10Ply tires in the summer on my 2008 Silverado (1/2ton) and I had the dealer set my TPMS at 70psi. i do alot of hauling, so I like to run my tires at near max pressure.

Also for you guys that don't know this, on your driver side door jamb, there is a tire "placard" (sticker) that tells you what size, ply, speed rating, and recommended air pressure for the vehicle. Now this is the manufacturers recommendation for that vehicle, but depending on what you haul, you should adjust according to your load to the maximum pressure allowed on the sidewall of the tire. 10 Ply, LR E tires have a maximum pressure of 80psi.

I hope this helps

Rej

hedge

Reaction score
My factory '09 F350 tires were rated for 70 front 80 back.

When I went to aftermarket wider tires, they have a max psi of 65. I run 65 in the front tires and 70 in the back. I simply used the learning tool and went through the procedure in the manual and my TPMS light is off, maybe I was lucky that the range wasn't as far away but I've had the pressure drop to 60 and it still didn't set off the TPMS.

PS, they're E load range tires, but have a max psi of 65 on the sidewall, It seems as they get wider the max psi is lower. Mine are 305's.

Top Bottom