Looking for info on riding around Nordegg

binderpilot

Reaction score
I was wondering if there is a range of trails that are easier to get around I have never been there and I am taking my girlfriend she is a beginner and we are riding fairly basic machines like an older polaris and a stock yamaha grizzly. I am interested in seeing crescent falls or maybe something scenic not a giant mud pit that takes all day to go 2 miles. I am also looking for a camp site I can ride from is this even possible?

Thanks for any input I am hoping to go out on the June 19th weekend.

Shankster

Reaction score
I was wondering if there is a range of trails that are easier to get around I have never been there and I am taking my girlfriend she is a beginner and we are riding fairly basic machines like an older polaris and a stock yamaha grizzly. I am interested in seeing crescent falls or maybe something scenic not a giant mud pit that takes all day to go 2 miles. I am also looking for a camp site I can ride from is this even possible?

Thanks for any input I am hoping to go out on the June 19th weekend.

If it were me, I would definately take her to Bighorn dam area. Great view, real descent beginner riding with some challenge but not alot of mud. Also you can do a little fishing just downstream of the dam. It really is a great place to go and....it's all about having fun and not scaring her to death on the first ride...! Another great spot is crescentfalls staging area but I have not spent alot of time there, except for around the falls! Have a great time!!

binderpilot

Reaction score
Hey thanks alot for the info thats what we'll try for sure we only have 2 days so that sounds great! Do you have any recommended places to camp that are atv friendly?

:beer:thanks again!:beer:

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
You can camp right at the dam

Directions to the dam are. West of Nordegg(highway11) about 15 minutes, Just after you cross over the Bighorn river you will see the big brown sign that says Bighorn dam. Turn left onto gravel road and follow that and camp anywhere you want. The best spots are after you cross the first small dam, To get to the main trailhead you have to ride the quads towards the big dam at the lake and cross by the red gate and then across the dam. Make sure all the machines are insured and registered as SRD will be there. The trails that I speak of are probably not open until July 1st.
Stay on the main big trails and you will be okay with your lady.
The quickest way to ride to Crescent Falls is to ride the ditches back the way you came along the highway (east) until you get to the falls road. When you get to the parking lotyou have to leave the machines and walk to the falls, bring runners to wear for this, have done it in riding boots and it is hard. It is not a long walk, about 10 minutes.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
The old railine is also a nice ride.Starts in Nordegg ,,south of the gas station and goes east,,lots of nice views through the rock cuts .Or the Blackstone area is nice as well.

oldman

Reaction score
Heading to big horn on july 9th for a couple of days, trying to get wife used to driving quad before buying another.

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Directions to the dam are. West of Nordegg(highway11) about 15 minutes, Just after you cross over the Bighorn river you will see the big brown sign that says Bighorn dam. Turn left onto gravel road and follow that and camp anywhere you want. The best spots are after you cross the first small dam, To get to the main trailhead you have to ride the quads towards the big dam at the lake and cross by the red gate and then across the dam. Make sure all the machines are insured and registered as SRD will be there. The trails that I speak of are probably not open until July 1st.
Stay on the main big trails and you will be okay with your lady.
The quickest way to ride to Crescent Falls is to ride the ditches back the way you came along the highway (east) until you get to the falls road. When you get to the parking lotyou have to leave the machines and walk to the falls, bring runners to wear for this, have done it in riding boots and it is hard. It is not a long walk, about 10 minutes.

The Bighorn trails ARE open now (this yr. Was dry enough that they did not close them at all).
Happy Trails

Top Bottom