looking for bike

MANSON

Reaction score
Looking for a used dirt bike for my boy who is 12.Open to all styles as he is getting started with a bit of seat time.THANKS.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
KTM SX 105, or.. Kawasaki KX 100.. :) lol j/k...those are just my picks, they really are good transition bikes from 85's to bigger 125's and up...if you dig a 2 stroke. I really love my 105, i'm 5 foot 1, 112 lbs and this bike is more than enough for me! Ya very important to know what type of riding he's gonna be into. What kind of bike does he have seat time on?

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
For a guy that size who's starting out, an 85cc on the Kawasaki KX / Honda CR / Yamaha YZ line would be perfect. Give him some seat time and when he's ready to step up, them maybe get him into something bigger/better.

There are lots of good deals out there on used bikes, but stay with name brand if you want any resale value. Do a compression test, and a leakdown if you want to know if the cylinders are ok. Other than that, look at the fork seals, chains, sprockets and tires to see how the wear and maintenance have been kept.

Here's a couple links to some average deals on Kijiji for 85-125cc bikes. The 85 might be small on him after a year, where the 125 might take him a bit of time to grow into. In either case, this should start you off hunting.

1991 Yamaha YZ 125 for sale or trade - Calgary Dirt Bikes, Motocross For Sale - Kijiji Calgary

2004 Honda CR85R - Calgary Dirt Bikes, Motocross For Sale - Kijiji Calgary

2004 CRF80F Honda - Calgary Dirt Bikes, Motocross For Sale - Kijiji Calgary

2000 Kawasaki KX - Calgary Dirt Bikes, Motocross For Sale - Kijiji Calgary

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For a guy that size who's starting out, an 85cc on the Kawasaki KX / Honda CR / Yamaha YZ line would be perfect. Give him some seat time and when he's ready to step up, them maybe get him into something bigger/better.

There are lots of good deals out there on used bikes, but stay with name brand if you want any resale value. Do a compression test, and a leakdown if you want to know if the cylinders are ok. Other than that, look at the fork seals, chains, sprockets and tires to see how the wear and maintenance have been kept.

Here's a couple links to some average deals on Kijiji for 85-125cc bikes. The 85 might be small on him after a year, where the 125 might take him a bit of time to grow into. In either case, this should start you off hunting.

1991 Yamaha YZ 125 for sale or trade - Calgary Dirt Bikes, Motocross For Sale - Kijiji Calgary

2004 Honda CR85R - Calgary Dirt Bikes, Motocross For Sale - Kijiji Calgary

2004 CRF80F Honda - Calgary Dirt Bikes, Motocross For Sale - Kijiji Calgary

2000 Kawasaki KX - Calgary Dirt Bikes, Motocross For Sale - Kijiji Calgary

Thats why the 100cc's are perfect.. don't grow out of them as easily, and they are a lot easier to ride then an 85.. I had an 85 and those things are just stupid.. I can maintain a little bit of control on the 100, but its got more bottom end then the 85's.. and rides like a cadillac compared to an 85, just my two cents!

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would go the four stroke route....start him off on a CRF 150, or 230 if he's a bigger kid. they'll run forever, you don't have to mix any gas, and they hold their resale value well. anything 2 stroke in a small bore mx has a pronounced powerband, and may be overwhelming for a youngster. unless you're grooming him to be the next Ricky Carmichael or James Stewart....I would start him off on a 4 stroke. you will know in the first season if he's ready for a 2 stroke moto cross bike.

Top Bottom