looking at some sleds for next season

kinrob1234

Reaction score
i was wondering i am looking at a 2004 arctic cat 900 or am looking at a package of a 2000 skidoo summit 600 and a 2007 skidoo xrs rev 800. have not went to see them yet. but didnt know which ones would be better. as far as reliable and other issues. not just looking at the years. also i have never really dealt with efi and that is what the cat is. any advice would be appreciated.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
EFI is a good thing if you change your elevation,I wouldnt buy one that wasnt.
catmando!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I liked my cat 900, but it sure seems like a tank compared to the RT1000. You can't compare either to the old style ZX 600 though, it doesn't have anything for power compared to the newer stuff.

I would do a lot of research on what you want, sleds are sure cheap right now.

If you like the cat 900, a RT1000 is pretty similar, but newer technology and a whole lot more power and funner to ride. Not saying it just because mine is for sale, but have never ridden such a fun sled. Nothing like spanking brand new 800's with a old 06 that costs about 1/3 of the amount :d

khaos_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pends what kind of riding you will be doing also...what kind of a rider are you. After the new doos, I wouldn't go back to the others. I just love the way you sit up front and ready for all bumps, drops, jumps whatever. I wouldn't buy anything older but obviously depends on your budget. I had an 07 also, ran really strong, but had to redo top end after 1000 km's but then it was good for the other 1500 I put on it before it sold. I ride pretty hard too. Loved it...and sorry not familiar with the cat. I do know they are heavy like stated in an early post, but if you're trail riding...who cares.

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought rev chassis just try it out today for first time today i had zx before what huge difference big improvement if not a Doo it just won,t do!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also like my 900 Cat. It is carbed but still a blast to ride.

It is a blast for sure, but jump on a properly tuned RT1000, and your arms will hurt :eek: The cat 900 was a great tough cheaper sled, that hangs well with newer sleds, but it feels like a 500 fan compared to a 1000. However it is a lot tougher to ride to, and you are so much worn out pulling it around, it just doesn't handle as well as newer sleds. Not to mention, less power, more weight, etc. I didn't think it would change much, but rider forward makes a massive difference I would never go back, plus I cannot live without reverse anymore :d And the thing is, look at what a RT1000 costs compared to a cat 900. No brainer to me IMO. I had a ATACC compensator to take care of the carbs, but still annoying because when you roll the sled it takes forever to get it running again. And that happens way to often :p

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is a blast for sure, but jump on a properly tuned RT1000, and your arms will hurt :eek: The cat 900 was a great tough cheaper sled, that hangs well with newer sleds, but it feels like a 500 fan compared to a 1000. However it is a lot tougher to ride to, and you are so much worn out pulling it around, it just doesn't handle as well as newer sleds. Not to mention, less power, more weight, etc. I didn't think it would change much, but rider forward makes a massive difference I would never go back, plus I cannot live without reverse anymore :d And the thing is, look at what a RT1000 costs compared to a cat 900. No brainer to me IMO. I had a ATACC compensator to take care of the carbs, but still annoying because when you roll the sled it takes forever to get it running again. And that happens way to often :p

900 cat feels like a 500 fan???? i really think the 900 you rode was not running very good.

I have yet to find a stock sled that pulls as hard as the 900 off the bottom.

bigtim

Reaction score
id favor a rev chassis over the cat 900, i find them easier to ride more manoverable. it all comes to personal prefference in the end.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
900 cat feels like a 500 fan???? i really think the 900 you rode was not running very good.

I have yet to find a stock sled that pulls as hard as the 900 off the bottom.

Nope it was running good, but compared to a RT1000 it's a turd. I mean the cat 900 feels like it pulls hard, but you also think a 500 fan is fast if it's your first sled because it's all you know. Although it's fun climbing and all you see is sky because the front end is so high off the snow :p

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

My brother had an RT1000. I just did not care for it. I could not get used to the running boards with one foot ahead of the other. It had good power, but man was it heavy. The engine blew up twice and that was not cheap to repair.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My brother had an RT1000. I just did not care for it. I could not get used to the running boards with one foot ahead of the other. It had good power, but man was it heavy. The engine blew up twice and that was not cheap to repair.

Heavy? Compared to king cat? Stock i'd guess they are very close, but my RT was lightened down about 50lbs, I noticed it handled a ton better. Yea some had motor problems because of cooling issues, the motor itself is very relieable. 06's were pretty much bulletproof. I didn't notice much of a running board change, but I really liked being so much more forward on the sled. Just had a lot more control.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am also looking. Not sure whether to get new M8, or used. Are there any years/models to avoid, or which is best. Any info would be a huge help.
Thanks

trailblazer

Reaction score
you can get deals on used with no miles and some warranty,bugs are worked out and usually some mods for less than new.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It seems the more I read the 2010 M8 is the right sled. The weight of the machine is down and by what I hear in the forum the motors are holding their own. Only one problem not too many used for sale. Thanks for your help.

Top Bottom