Looking at getting a 2001 Arctic Cat 1000 Mountain Cat or a 2003 Arctic Cat 900

summit1000

Reaction score
So, now that I have sold the 670 Summit and sold the Summit 1000, I am now looking at buying an Arctic Cat. I found a mint condition 1000 Mountain Cat with only 916 miles. I think it is overpriced, but I know absolutely nothing about these sleds, so maybe the price is fair at $4900. How was the reliability, performance, weight, and everything with a 1000 Mountain Cat. Are these the same engines that went into a Thundercat? This one looks like it has triple pipes. I've never even been on an Arctic Cat before. So any information that people have would be great. I grew up riding a Polaris, have now owned two Ski-Doos so I want to try out an Arctic Cat now.

Here is the Kijiji ad for the 2001 1000.
2001 arctic cat mountain cat 1000 - Edmonton Snowmobiles For Sale - Kijiji Edmonton Canada.

Also looking at a 2003 900.
Here is the Kijiji ad.
2003 Arctic Cat - Edmonton Snowmobiles For Sale - Kijiji Edmonton Canada.

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just sold an 07 M8 with 3000miles for $4200 you can get a pretty great sled for the 4-5k mark, mine had a wrap, full exhaust, tether, goggle bag, skis, mountain seat etc and that thing rocked my 1M 900 king cat

trailblazer

Reaction score
Look on the BC Kijji... Albertans selling used sleds wanna retire on the sale!!!Smoking deals in PG,Kamloops,Cranbrook regions.Long ways from GP to Southern BC,take a trip and go sledding,hell,the owner will probably take you out for a day.

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 1000 seems very high, the 900 not as bad but still high. Sold my 05 KK with over 4k in aftermarket upgrades for $4500 two years ago. My 08 M1000 is twice the machine the old 900 was with all the upgrades.

4x4racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We'll hears a list of what I bought this year for less the $5000
07 rev 860 modded out unreal 5000
04 rev 860 mild mod. 3800
09 m8 twisted turbo 3500 miles 4500
01m1 stock 1200k. 1900. Needed steering post
07 dragon 700 4000
08 xp 2500k. 4500
so that sled 2500$ is the most I would pay but I won't buy anything unless I get a deal

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...005-Actic-cat-M7-153-track-W0QQAdIdZ556555182

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...iles-2007-Arctic-Cat-M1000-W0QQAdIdZ556525822

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...owmobiles-Arctic-cat-m1000-W0QQAdIdZ556154007

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...owmobiles-06-arctic-cat-m7-W0QQAdIdZ556023151

or just post on hear that u have 5000 for a budget and snow& mud will hook u up

Last edited:

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes the 1000 has the same engine as the Thundercat, heavy and not very flickable.
The 900 pulls good, will go most places the new sleds will, just harder to ride.
both seem high priced but with all the snow it is a sellers market.
I bought my 05 900 kk for $4000 3 years ago with lots of upgrades
Do what 4X4 said and post on here

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya, for around the money they want for those sleds you can probably get into an M chassis 800 or 1000 and be much happier with the way it handles.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've actually owned both, a 1999 ThunderCat mountian cat 1000 and a 2004 900 mountian King cat.
They were both realy great sleds in their own perspective and time.
The T-cat was a monster in both power and weight, a VERY realiable and smooth triple triple
that made a solid 170+hp out of the box and easily could exceed 200hp reliably. But the sled with its factory 156" track that was available at the time weighed in at nearly 600lbs dry. One hell of a climber though at the time, with a new style 3"x174" track i bet it would still impress in todays standards, especially with some weight loss.

The 900 mountian was the King of mountian sled at the time and no other sleds could actually compete with it. It had everything going for it, a reliable and solid motor taken from the 800 little brother that produced a good 160+hp. That was nearly 15-20 more hp then the competition. It was light, at around 510lbs with the limited version 162" track. Standard version was the 159".
When i had my 900 in 05 i purchased my RT and the 900 could easily pound the RT, no competition. The only place the RT was better was in ride. But i sold the 900 Cat and kept the RT hahaha and moded it.

Between the two sleds i'ed go with the 900 KingCat.

I'm commenting on the 2 sleds you have posted being that is what your concidering but i do agree with other posters that an M-series Cat would be a much better option.
I currently own an M-8 with a 162 and they are a natural in the mountians with a solid reputation in both reliability and performance. Niegther the 1000 or the 900 Cats would be better......you could say in the mountians, the newer M chassi is much more adapted and easier to ride.

Last edited:

summit1000

Reaction score
Well, I am still going to go look at the 1000 Mountain Cat. I really like that it only has 917 miles on it, and from the pictures it appears to be in absolute mint condition. Hopefully the guy is really flexible on the price. Although, if it is in good enough condition, I could see going as high on $4500 for it. Sometimes you have to pay more than it is worth to get exactly what you want. The guy with the 2003 900 hasn't gotten back to me yet.

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X3 on the M series. Plus you will have an easier time selling it if you want to switch it up
x4 as stated several times previous you will like how the M handles much better than either of those sleds.

summit1000

Reaction score
Well, I went and looked at the 1000 Mountain Cat today. When I left my house I thought I was just going to look. Then I got there and rode it. It has the pull my Summit 1000 had, with the ease to throw around that the 670 had, and the comfort of a Polaris XLT with the Xtra 12 suspension. Also, I love that it comes with factory triple pipes. It just looks so good under the hood. I also don't think I have ever sen a used sled in this nice of shape. I think my friends brand new Pro RMK is dirtier than this thing was. germaphobes would've been willing to lick the exhuast or cylinder heads. Granted it was in a heated shop, but it started first pull too. I took it for a three minute ride (would've gone further but it is -26*C today), and in those three minutes decided I had to have it. I enjoyed it more in those three minutes, than I enjoy my buddies Pro RMK. Up until today, a Pro RMK had been my dream sled too. I don't even officially own this sled yet, and I think I am converted. I am now an Arctic Cat fan.

m/c 1000

Reaction score
You will be fine for cross country riding. Heavy but powerful. I have a 98 1000 thunder cat m/c as well, the hemi cuda of sleds. If you get it come out riding east of the city.Bring some warm temps. I bought mine in around 04 or 05 with 902 miles on it, mint shape for $3600. Now have around 5000 miles still in mint shape. The 98s where supposed to be the fastest.

Last edited:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, I went and looked at the 1000 Mountain Cat today. When I left my house I thought I was just going to look. Then I got there and rode it. It has the pull my Summit 1000 had, with the ease to throw around that the 670 had, and the comfort of a Polaris XLT with the Xtra 12 suspension. Also, I love that it comes with factory triple pipes. It just looks so good under the hood. I also don't think I have ever sen a used sled in this nice of shape. I think my friends brand new Pro RMK is dirtier than this thing was. germaphobes would've been willing to lick the exhuast or cylinder heads. Granted it was in a heated shop, but it started first pull too. I took it for a three minute ride (would've gone further but it is -26*C today), and in those three minutes decided I had to have it. I enjoyed it more in those three minutes, than I enjoy my buddies Pro RMK. Up until today, a Pro RMK had been my dream sled too. I don't even officially own this sled yet, and I think I am converted. I am now an Arctic Cat fan.

I think you're nuts if you want to buy that sled for that price and if you think that it should be your dream sled over a Pro RMK. If this holds true, I'd say you don't ride in the mountains much, if at all. The price is wayyy too high, this guy is just going off the mileage and hoping it didn't depreciate over the last what...15 yrs? Just because he didn't ride it doesn't mean it didn't de-value. Or maybe he did ride it with the speedo unplugged.... I owned a triple mountain cat, I cut as much weight off of it, dropped and rolled it, shaved the steering linkage and the spindles, blah blah blah. With all that it would haul the mail in any direction you pointed it, but keep straight because if you think it will turn you are wrong! Even with the shaved steering linkage and the spindles, the turning radius still isn't great. You need to clearance the piece at the front of the tunnel as well.

The 1000 Mountain cat was the most powerful sled back when they made it, but they stopped making it for a reason. Triple motors required a wide chassis, no matter how cool they sound with triple pipes! The chassis was just too wide for the mountains. The ski stance is too big and the sleds are too hard to lay over. The turning radius is not tight enough, and the balance on the sled is totally off. The motors had a problem with the center cylinder, you need to know how to sync carbs to run a triple well, if they get out of sync, usually it blows up. This sled was basically a long tracked lake racer unless you put a lot of time and effort into it.

summit1000

Reaction score
I think you're nuts if you want to buy that sled for that price and if you think that it should be your dream sled over a Pro RMK. If this holds true, I'd say you don't ride in the mountains much, if at all. The price is wayyy too high, this guy is just going off the mileage and hoping it didn't depreciate over the last what...15 yrs? Just because he didn't ride it doesn't mean it didn't de-value. Or maybe he did ride it with the speedo unplugged.... I owned a triple mountain cat, I cut as much weight off of it, dropped and rolled it, shaved the steering linkage and the spindles, blah blah blah. With all that it would haul the mail in any direction you pointed it, but keep straight because if you think it will turn you are wrong! Even with the shaved steering linkage and the spindles, the turning radius still isn't great. You need to clearance the piece at the front of the tunnel as well.

The 1000 Mountain cat was the most powerful sled back when they made it, but they stopped making it for a reason. Triple motors required a wide chassis, no matter how cool they sound with triple pipes! The chassis was just too wide for the mountains. The ski stance is too big and the sleds are too hard to lay over. The turning radius is not tight enough, and the balance on the sled is totally off. The motors had a problem with the center cylinder, you need to know how to sync carbs to run a triple well, if they get out of sync, usually it blows up. This sled was basically a long tracked lake racer unless you put a lot of time and effort into it.

You are right, I don't ride in the mountains much. I've haven't been since I was 11 years old and had my 500 XC. Exactly the reason I don't need a Pro RMK. And even if he did ride with the speedo unplugged, he kept it in good enough shape that I don't care. I also didn't say how much I paid for it. The amount I did pay, I am completely aware is more than it is worth, but I liked it too much not to have it. Also, the ski stance on a Mountain Cat is narrower than the majority of new sleds. 39 inches. That is narrower than a Pro RMK from what I have read. The chassis is definitely wide, but I don't mind. It turns sharp enough. So far you are the first person to say there have been any engine problems with them. Also, it has ATACC so no need to worry about making sure carburetors are in synch. I'm going to go to the mountains eventually and will take my Mountain Cat unless I have something else by then. I find the problem with all of these new sleds is that they lack any skill to ride and that eliminates some of the fun factor. On an old sled, you need to know what you are doing, or you end up in the trees or rolling down the hill. I don't really care if anyone thinks it was a dumb purchase. I like it, and that is all that matters. Also, when I was buying the 670 Summit, I was told that I overpaid by about 25% on it, and then 6 days later, I went and sold it for 25% more than I had paid for it.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are right, I don't ride in the mountains much. I've haven't been since I was 11 years old and had my 500 XC. Exactly the reason I don't need a Pro RMK. And even if he did ride with the speedo unplugged, he kept it in good enough shape that I don't care. I also didn't say how much I paid for it. The amount I did pay, I am completely aware is more than it is worth, but I liked it too much not to have it. Also, the ski stance on a Mountain Cat is narrower than the majority of new sleds. 39 inches. That is narrower than a Pro RMK from what I have read. The chassis is definitely wide, but I don't mind. It turns sharp enough. So far you are the first person to say there have been any engine problems with them. Also, it has ATACC so no need to worry about making sure carburetors are in synch. I'm going to go to the mountains eventually and will take my Mountain Cat unless I have something else by then. I find the problem with all of these new sleds is that they lack any skill to ride and that eliminates some of the fun factor. On an old sled, you need to know what you are doing, or you end up in the trees or rolling down the hill. I don't really care if anyone thinks it was a dumb purchase. I like it, and that is all that matters. Also, when I was buying the 670 Summit, I was told that I overpaid by about 25% on it, and then 6 days later, I went and sold it for 25% more than I had paid for it.

Hey man, in your first post you asked for information. Defend your purchase to yourself, not to me. I owned one of these sleds and worked on several others, take that experience or don't. If you think the motor is bulletproof based on your review of these responses then I guess you won't ever have to worry about the water pump seals leaking into the balance shaft...

The ATACC will only correct for the jetting, keeping the carbs in sync is related to the carb slides. If all the carbs are not opening and closing at the exact same amount, one cylinder will be working harder (or less than) the other 2. Usually overworking 1 cylinder results in an issue.

The center cylinder had staggered jetting because it does not recieve the same cooling as the outside cylinders.

Ski stance may be the same as a new sled, but the center of gravity is totally different due to rider position and motor placement.

Anyways, enjoy your new sled.

m/c 1000

Reaction score
You got what you wanted and thats what matters .Are the cars of today better than the muscle cars of the 60s and 70s im sure they are,but i would love to have a 70 hemi cuda in my garage. That sled will be harder to ride in the mountains than the new ones but it will still get around.I may be bias since I own a tcat but cross country and lake riding it will be fine and warmer. All the guys out east ride on lakes and want 120 mph. This sled shines out there. How many people owned a mach around here and went to the mountains.I agree there are better sleds for mountain riding now but for an all around sled its just fine. I also own a 1200 doo which I mostly ride now but its nice to pull the tcat out for a day once in a while too.That was one of the top dogs for muscle sleds back then and still will run with most stockers of today. The asking price was high but that maybe wasnt the selling price and condition is worth alot too. Its not all about the money but what makes you happy.

craptabulous

Reaction score
I paid 4500$ for my 07 m1000 162 "last year . With a full d@d exhaust, rktec head, a/f gauge , boondocker and a boss seat.

Top Bottom