Looking at buying a new quad

[Freerider]-

Reaction score
So I'm currently in the market for buying a new or used quad. I've been looking at either an Outlander, Renegade, Sportsman, or a scrambler, all 800/850cc.
If you own, or have good experience with any of these I'd be happy to hear what you have to say about them. I'm not new to the whole quadding scene by any means.
I ride a fair amount of mud, some skeg, some trail. Whatever i decide to go with will get the typical upgrades, tires winch etc etc.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 800 Sportsman that I got for a smoking deal, it's been OK just a few small issues but it has a very easy life and I would not have expected any issues for the kind of riding it sees. If I was in the market I would have an Outlander Max and probably even be happy with the 650.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2011 850 sportsman it have been good to me with a scramble / gade you do give up storage but gain agility.

J-Roc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy of mine had a 2010 outty 800 with 4500 trouble free kms on it. Did a couple belts and I think a clutch rebuild.

Last year we each bought new 14 outlander 800s. I've got 550 kms on mine and he's got a few more. We're both Yamaha guys but are really quite impressed with them.

I quite like it and would likely buy another.

Good luck!

camsledhead

Reaction score
Outlander XMR 800 or 1000. Comes with tires and rad relocate, no need to add anything IMO!

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
My brother and i found left over Renegades last year and got a great deal. We went with the XXC model for the graphics, shocks, and power steering. There is not storage and you have to buy racks if you need some. We ride will scramblers and sportmans all the time. They both are awesome on the trail, but he renegade has more power and seems to chew the mud and skeg better. Plus I find the quality is better with the Can Am.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My brother and i found left over Renegades last year and got a great deal. We went with the XXC model for the graphics, shocks, and power steering. There is not storage and you have to buy racks if you need some. We ride will scramblers and sportmans all the time. They both are awesome on the trail, but he renegade has more power and seems to chew the mud and skeg better. Plus I find the quality is better with the Can Am.
The scrambler 1000 has more power than any canam quad made.....also handles way better . Also the stock clutch will handle the power /unlike the canam.....

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the 850 Sportsman. Great machine.

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My uncle has a fleet of about 20 bikes and he always switching brands every few years because the test quads that he buys will out preform his fleet. Back in the solid axle kawi days that's what he ran would get 25000 km to a quad with minimal maintenance. He was running polaris for about 6 years they were only about a 8000 mile quad. They have good warranty so he did not mind. A couple years ago he switched to can ams. They have been good to him he has a few with over 10000 miles now.
I always say if I were to buy a new quad I'll be buying whatever is in his fleet At the time. that's what's the best on the market. He says all quads are pretty good now days for the average guy. But if your like me and put 8000 miles a season on you should try to buy the best there is.
A funny story about a couple polaris quad he had 2 years old, 850 polaris 8000 miles tranny acted funny in one, motors rattled in both, 4x4 did not work and they did not have a tight ball joint left in either quad. Brought it in to trade them off on a new polaris they looked at his quads kinda laughed at him and said we will give u 1500 each on a trade.... He started laughing and said well I guess Im brining them in for some warranty work... Good old polaris warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They all got there time and place. Neighbour kid has a Scrambler 850 and that thing rocks! He treats it like he stole it and it just takes it. I think he put one axle in it. I ride a sxs now and ride mostly with them now so don't see many quads. The canams are nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The scrambler 1000 has more power than any canam quad made.....also handles way better . Also the stock clutch will handle the power /unlike the canam.....

ok... your right...... I was comparing the 800 to the 850... yes the polaris has a better primary. But the can am is a better quad in ALMOST every way..

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would pick a scrammy over a Rene any day ....for many many reasons .
the canams are overrated a little & the popo s are a little underrated .....imo.

In the utv section there really only is popo....canam and the rest are distant seconds in all categories ...

1BIGBADSLVRAM

Reaction score
Here's my take on the can-am vs polaris thing. I consider myself to b an aggressive trail rider who likes to play in the occasional mudhole. I previously owned two kawasaki brute forces and loved them. A work accident slowed me down for a few years so I did my riding in a rzr. Got bored and decided it was time to get a quad again. Did lots of reading and polaris and can-am seemed to b the brands to buy. No can-am dealer around here so I settled on a 2013 sportsman 850. Absolutely hated it! Nice riding, would go through or over anything, boring as **** on the trails! Was also disappointed in the power. It just didnt suit my aggressive riding style. Sold it and bought a 13 outlander 800. So impressed! Reminded me of my brute forces but waay better! The smile was back on my face again. Heard all the hype, now I'm a believer. If your a leisurely trail/mud rider a polaris will b great. If u like to pull wheelies and slide through corners, can-am is the only way to go. I'll never own anything else. Sorry if I offend any polaris lovers. Just my .02 cents

Last edited:

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take a scrammy 1000 out , you might be surprised ....lol
the old 800 sportsman were crap . The new 850/ 1000 popo are a whole new deal .
However the fact remains , that most people do not understand this ,merely points out how uninformed most peoples opinion on this is ......

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's my take on the can-am vs polaris thing. I consider myself to b an aggressive trail rider who likes to play in the occasional mudhole. I previously owned two kawasaki brute forces and loved them. A work accident slowed me down for a few years so I did my riding in a rzr. Got bored and decided it was time to get a quad again. Did lots of reading and polaris and can-am seemed to b the brands to buy. No can-am dealer around here so I settled on a 2013 sportsman 850. Absolutely hated it! Nice riding, would go through or over anything, boring as **** on the trails! Was also disappointed in the power. It just didnt suit my aggressive riding style. Sold it and bought a 13 outlander 800. So impressed! Reminded me of my brute forces but waay better! The smile was back on my face again. Heard all the hype, now I'm a believer. If your a leisurely trail/mud rider a polaris will b great. If u like to pull wheelies and slide through corners, can-am is the only way to go. I'll never own anything else. Sorry if I offend any polaris lovers. Just my .02 cents
Like I have always said, Polaris makes a good girls bike.

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Renegade 1000 XXC best quad made wouldn't even look at anything else uploadfromtaptalk1427370616358.jpg

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom